Best Western Plus- San Pedro

bobnfl

Has anyone stayed here? It is located on S. Gaffey St. near the port.  I am looking at this one and the Double Tree and the Crowne. The best western is a lot cheaper but is off the main path. Any help would be nice.

Thanks Bob

Haven’t stayed here but booked it for late Jan.  Cheaper than other options and you didn’t have to pay in advance. I don’t think it’s going to be at Palace, but probably OK for a day or two they supposedly do have a shuttle to the cruise terminal. 

1 hour ago, bobnfl said:

Has anyone stayed here? It is located on S. Gaffey St. near the port.  I am looking at this one and the Double Tree and the Crowne. The best western is a lot cheaper but is off the main path. Any help would be nice.

Thanks Bob

Actually, it's ON the main path...Gaffey is the main North/South arterial of San Pedro...and the Best Western is at the terminus of the 110 Freeway--where it dumps out onto Gaffey...So, it is a high traffic location with cars and trucks screeching by at all hours of the day and night...It's also in an area where there are really no nice dining options...everything nearby is fast food.  The other issue is that it's more of a "motel" than a hotel.  As a hotel property, it is at a much lower category than the Doubletree or Crrowne Plaza.  That said, if you are outpriced by the top two and money is an issue, it is a somewhat reasonable third option...it does get okay reviews and appears to be decently maintained by the owners...  If you do want to have a nice dinner, you will have to take an Uber or a long, unsightly walk (and many will suggest avoiding the walk if after dark).

Most of the nicer restaurant choices in San Pedro are in the area of the Crowne Plaza.  The Doubletree is at the most scenic and serene location--on the yacht harbor downchannel from the port area.

6 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Most of the nicer restaurant choices in San Pedro are in the area of the Crowne Plaza.  The Doubletree is at the most scenic and serene location--on the yacht harbor downchannel from the port area.

"Ports O' Call" was 90% torn down a couple of years ago. Plans are for reopening 2020/2021

You did not ask about the surrounding area. A couple of fast food chain joints within blocks. Being out after dark would be a bit sketchy. San Pedro was my area 2014-2016 so I do have some knowledge. If your showing up the evening before your cruise go for it. If your spending a day or two before cruise, spend the extra $.

It's our go-to hotel when we leave out of San Pedro so we've stayed there several times. They have a nice pool (but somewhat cool), a really nice continental breakfast, the fitness room has a good view (you can even see the ship in port) and the hotel is close to a couple fast food restaurants. I wouldn't walk by myself out there at night, but we haven't been worried about daytime. To give you an idea of the neighborhood, you do have to use your room key to access the elevators. They also have a free shuttle to the cruise port which is really super handy. 

It is a nice hotel but the surrounding area is awful!  It is where the freeway enters into the street so there is heavy traffic.  I was scared and refused to cross the street even with a traffic light. It is very hilly and hard to walk.  There are no nice restaurants just a couple of fast food places. If you are looking at price, try Priceline.  We got the Crown Plaza for just under $100 2 years ago, BW wanted $125.  Look at 3 1/2 stars on Priceline and you will either get CP or Double Tree, both very nice.

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, JudithLynne said:

It is a nice hotel but the surrounding area is awful!  It is where the freeway enters into the street so there is heavy traffic.  I was scared and refused to cross the street even with a traffic light. It is very hilly and hard to walk.  There are no nice restaurants just a couple of fast food places. If you are looking at price, try Priceline.  We got the Crown Plaza for just under $100 2 years ago, BW wanted $125.  Look at 3 1/2 stars on Priceline and you will either get CP or Double Tree, both very nice.

HI, when you booked by Priceline, did you specify this hotel while booking or did it through the "name your own price"?

Thanks

If I remember correctly I booked at "name your own price", as I noted in the post above we knew we would get either CP or DT, both nice and either was acceptable to us.  I will never stay at the BW+ again because of it's location.

I also found, by searching with Google that there are very helpful discussion groups on using Priceline.  We don't tend to use PL but the San Pedro area offers very little and the chat lines helped.

Three weeks ago our shuttle dropped off people at the BW and the area did look a bit "sketchy". 

We stayed at the Doubletree and loved it, but there is little in the area (had a good rest. in the hotel though).  They upgraded us to a huge two room suite, which was very nice, but we really did not make much use of it during our short stay.  We took the free shuttle to the pier the next morning with one other couple - 5 minute trip.  Highly recommend the DT.