Reviews of Oceania

Jamietravelstheworld

I've been following a number of the Oceania boards and the reviews seem to lean negative. Old ships, cancelled ports, decreased quality. I'm booked on the Insignia in 2020 but am considering switching to the Nautica instead for the itinerary. Insignia is being refurbished this year but Nautica won't be until after I would cruise in 2020. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the ships, and particularly some positives as I've read a lot of negatives already. 

29 minutes ago, jamieandsam said:

I've been following a number of the Oceania boards and the reviews seem to lean negative. Old ships, cancelled ports, decreased quality. I'm booked on the Insignia in 2020 but am considering switching to the Nautica instead for the itinerary. Insignia is being refurbished this year but Nautica won't be until after I would cruise in 2020. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the ships, and particularly some positives as I've read a lot of negatives already. 

Reviews are a lot more negative then in the past, especially for the small ships.  Even thou they are doing a rehab on the small ships I would stick with the bigger O class one's.   Better food and better service.   

go  for the Itinerary

some people  moving over to Oceania  are not prepared  for the smaller ships  with smaller cabins  than what  they are used  to

quieter ambiance  than  main stream lines

We  have not been on the R class ships  for 2 yrs so do not know if there is  a big difference  in service/quality etc..

Nautica  & Insignia  are the same ships basically  the  refurb is  an update to the new colour scheme ..the ships will still be the same

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamieandsam said:

People complain more than they praise, whatever the venue or product.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Just off the Insignia after 16 days. Great food, service, beds and ambiance. I love the R ships and am very glad O purchased the Sirena.

Just off Sirena a few weeks ago and found not so good food or service.  The ship looked tired and in need of a good rehab. 

Happy Thanksgiving, jamieandsam. I agree with LHT28. Go with the itinerary. We last sailed an R ship in 2015, Los Angeles to Miami, Insignia through the Panama Canal. We were in a PH, and had a fabulous time. We have done the Canal four times and love it every time. It was our second time on Insignia, the last time Venice to Athens in 2004. With itineraries like that, what's not to like?

As ships, Riviera and Regent's Explorer are my favorites.. No matter how beautiful the ship, if you don't like where it goes, the trip may be a dud. Our next cruise on Riviera in March has a cute itinerary. It starts in Key West, and even though we live on South Beach, we have never been there. The Mexican ports are new to us as well. That we don't have to fly is an enjoyable extra. The idea is have a great time.

Mary

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Just off Sirena a few weeks ago and found not so good food or service.  The ship looked tired and in need of a good rehab. 

I don't get it. Just off Sirena last year and it was superb- dining, service , decor, condition. Would love to be on her right now.

We've been on all of the ships and don't really prefer any one over the other.  For US, the positives on the "O" ships are the extra opportunities for dining, activities -- just because the ship has more space.  But we still love the "R" ships which we first met in 1999 on Renaissance.  The small showers in the veranda cabins don't even bother us any more!

Yes, there ios more space on the bigger ships ... which shouldn't be surprising.

Our most recent "R" ship experience was on Sirena in October 2016 when she was not long past her billion dollar reno after acquisition. We thought she looked beautiful, but many passengers have passed through since then.  I find it hard to believe that she has become decrepit since then.

I for one would never describe the "R" ships as "tired" but clearly a fair number of people do.  Then again, I doubt I'm going to like the "new" plans for the ships ...

Food complaints seem to have increased regarding all the ships lately, but our Marina cruise in November 2017 and Riviera cruise in May 2018 didn't seem any different to us.  But what I like doesn't mean you will.

Mura

I was on the Sirena for 28 days during August and September 2018.  It was terrific!  The ship was great, the food was great, and the crew was great!  I prefer the smaller R ships, (the Sirena, Nautica, Regatta and Insignia).  We spent 8 straight days at sea from Madeira to Nassau. It was a wonderful time, very relaxing.  There was always a lot to do if we wanted to be active or we could sit by the pool and read.  It was my 9th Oceania cruise and my favorite!  You will have a great cruise whether on the Insignia or the Nautica.

We are relatively new to cruising per se and have done 3 cruises on the Riveria and one on the Regatta. I absolutely agree with the advise, go for the itinerary. For us, that’s what makes cruising so much fun - unpack once and there’s a new place every day to explore!

We booked our cruise on the Regatta because of the itinerary ( Australia, New Zealand) but also because of the wonderful experience we had on Riveria. I must admit, when we first boarded the Regatta, my first impression was everything felt smaller, like a scaled down version of Riveria. After a day or two, I began to love the intimate feel of the ship. The quality of service was good and so was the food. I liked seeing the same friendly faces every day, exploring each port and  looking forward to the next.

As far as the negative comments and reviews, I guess I’m an optimist and hope my next cruise experience will be better.

2 hours ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Mr. Sunshine weighs in once again. How pleasant!

Well, someone has to tell the truth.   Enough of fake news.  The O ships are wonderful and the R Ships need a lot of work to come close to them if they ever can.  Happy thanksgiving and safe traveling. 

I wonder if "tired" in some people's opinions  has to do more with the  decor ..no flashy plastic & bright lights like main stream lines

The wood decor of a Gentleman's  Club is  not appealing to some people

When we first sailed on O   we liked the  difference  from main stream lines  with the gaudy  fixtures/fittings

I am looking forward to seeing the new refurb  with the lighter colours  ..but  I also like the R ships  as they are

JMO

5 hours ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Mr. Sunshine weighs in once again. How pleasant!

Some people love to complain but refuse to change cruise lines. It would seem that complaining is more fun than being happy elsewhere.

I liked but didn’t love Crystal - rather than complaining about their shortcomings (for me) I moved back to where I am happier. My complaints about “deficiencies” on Crystal would be futile - so I moved on.

Edited by Paulchili

We cruised on the Nautica this October/November and my advice would be not to change your  cruise. Whilst the staff & food were as excellent as usual there were some things that were not up to the usual standard. My husband's main complaint was a problem with the hot water, they came and fixed the shower so I only had to have one tepid shower, but the water in the basin was another story. My husband got rather irritated by a lack of consistent hot water for shaving(20day cruise) to such an extent that I quote "We are not sailing on the Nautica again until it has had its refit" We had a 30day cruise for 2020 Cape Town to Singapore booked  which was cancelled. We have cruised with Oceania 7 times  5 on the Nautica & 2 on the Marina & my husband feels that the R ships are showing their age. We purchased a future cruise deposit whilst on board so have not given up on Oceania. However we have  booked a cruise on Viking for 2020 so will see how they compare, half way in size between a R & O ship.  My other observation was that for the first time I found the bed  not to be as comfortable as previously. We had sailed on the Nautica in 2015 and had none of these issues. We still  enjoyed our  cruise but not as much as some & feel we have to say that from an A++ they are now  more in the range of an A- or B++. Some people have stated that they thought the ships were tired, but I feel stale would be a better word. They do need a refit . 

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, Petoonya said:

I don't get it. Just off Sirena last year and it was superb- dining, service , decor, condition. Would love to be on her right now.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, Petoonya said:

We are currently on the Sirena and have been for 3 weeks - agree with Petoonya...everything is superb!  This is our 8th cruise on Oceania (all on the R ships) and just booked our 9th and 10th while onboard.

2 hours ago, triplestar said:

We cruised on the Nautica this October/November and my advice would be not to change your  cruise. Whilst the staff & food were as excellent as usual there were some things that were not up to the usual standard. My husband's main complaint was a problem with the hot water, they came and fixed the shower so I only had to have one tepid shower, but the water in the basin was another story. My husband got rather irritated by a lack of consistent hot water for shaving(20day cruise) to such an extent that I quote "We are not sailing on the Nautica again until it has had its refit"

I am not  sure  if cabin location has something to do with the hot water situation or not   we have not been on the Nautica   but sometimes on Regatta  we had to run the tap a bit in the sink to get  the water hot enough

this  was near the aft of the ship  we have been on deck 4  & do not recall this being  an issue

Not sure the ships  are getting a refit in the sense  your DH is hoping for   I would say  redecorated  is more of what is going to be happening

JMO

11 hours ago, triplestar said:

My other observation was that for the first time I found the bed  not to be as comfortable as previously. 

I had the same exact impression on the Insignia last week. Interesting, perhaps the O ships have a better mattress and we’re more used to them. 

On principle, given that Oceania is a premium cruise line with prices to match, I expect to receive a premium product on, every ship, every time - unless there is an extenuating circumstance that could not have been foreseen.

To be "given" the label of "premium", Oceania's product must be of a quality level, across their fleet, that exceeds the mass cruise lines.

As the OP noted and others have posted there, there is an increase in negative reports both on this site as well as in the review section. The negative reports seem to have commenced about 1 year ago.  A higher proportion of complaints are the R ships, everything from the propulsion issues on Regatta, to inconsistent (or not available) hot and cold water, toilet issues etc.

I agree with LHT28, if Oceania undertakes a cosmetic update of the R ships only, but ignores the structural/mechanical issues in a fleet of 20+ year old ships, then Oceania is sending a message that they think we are lemmings who will continue to book despite known quality issues. If Oceania tackles the big stuff, then I will know they are committed to ensuring a premium operating fleet.

My recent trip on Regatta included no hot water, no cold water, lukewarm water in the shower (not at busy times), no toilet for most of a day, flickering lights, no power in the middle of the night. That is not acceptable on any cruise, let alone a premium cruise line.

Time will tell.

4 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

I agree with LHT28, if Oceania undertakes a cosmetic update of the R ships only, but ignores the structural/mechanical issues in a fleet of 20+ year old ships, then Oceania is sending a message that they think we are lemmings who will continue to book despite known quality issues. If Oceania tackles the big stuff, then I will know they are committed to ensuring a premium operating fleet.

My recent trip on Regatta included no hot water, no cold water, lukewarm water in the shower (not at busy times), no toilet for most of a day, flickering lights, no power in the middle of the night. That is not acceptable on any cruise, let alone a premium cruise line.

I agree with you on about 95% of what you say, but speaking as somebody who has been through the Cruise Ship wars for far longer than you, I would urge you to consider that:

A) as any mechanical device ages, there are bound to be glitches along the way

B) the expense of prophylactically replacing every moving  part would be ruinous

C) the logistics of making interim repairs in the tight quarters of a cruise ship often makes a simple problem insurmountable at a given moment.

Given these realities, one has to balance the increased pleasure gained by the small passenger capacity of the R ships (which are alone in the World, at anywhere near this pricepoint) against the possible inconveniences of a plumbing or electric malfunction.

In the past when I've written a post similar to this, I've used the Waldorf Astoria in New York City as an example of a hotel where quality and  ambience trumped antique infrastructure , but sadly, the Waldorf is no more.

Outrage over small inconveniences may force the sale of the R ships to another less deluxe cruise line (they are about 25 years short of being scrapped), but that won't help any of us who are looking for low passenger capacity WITH Oceania quality in food and service.  Food for thought.   

5 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

On principle, given that Oceania is a premium cruise line with prices to match, I expect to receive a premium product on, every ship, every time - unless there is an extenuating circumstance that could not have been foreseen.

To be "given" the label of "premium", Oceania's product must be of a quality level, across their fleet, that exceeds the mass cruise lines.

As the OP noted and others have posted there, there is an increase in negative reports both on this site as well as in the review section. The negative reports seem to have commenced about 1 year ago.  A higher proportion of complaints are the R ships, everything from the propulsion issues on Regatta, to inconsistent (or not available) hot and cold water, toilet issues etc.

Time will tell.

Well said.

All of the R ships are, or soon will be, going into a three week overhaul. I know that on the Insignia there was a large group of engineering technicians from  Wartsila working on board. I’m sure Oceania is going to address all the issues that management is aware of during these major overhauls.

We loved our Nautica cruise around the Iberian Peninsula in fall of 2017 that we chose for the itinerary.  The cabins are small and the showers smaller (if that is important and you do not want a suite, the R ships may not be for you no matter what the itinerary).  I thought of the decor as old fashioned rather than tired.  What is wonderful is the intimacy of these smaller ships.  On the Marina (also wonderful but different), the area around the espresso bar does not really lend itself to an interesting conversation but the more open area near the MDR on Nautica did.  We hit at a time when the crew had been together for some time and that worked well in all the dining areas as well as with the rest of the staff-that is just luck and may be a difference between one cruise and another.  I would love to cruise on Nautica again with the right itinerary.  At the end of our cruise, Nautica stayed in port a few days for some cosmetic work so they do try to keep things updated when possible.   Maybe try Marina or Riviera if you are worried.  I like the O ships and Viking but what I really keep checking for is another cruise we would like on Nautica.

6 hours ago, ORV said:

I had the same exact impression on the Insignia last week. Interesting, perhaps the O ships have a better mattress and we’re more used to them. 

Maybe  they just  replace  those that are well worn  first

it would  be  a sizable expense to replace all the bed  every couple of years

We did  have one on Marina  that was more firm  than we are used to  but not bothersome

Maybe  with the makeover  they will be upgraded also 😉