Bay of Fundy Reversing Rapids with Limited Mobility

KmomChicago

Hello! My 75-year old mother (will be almost 76 by cruise time) has limited mobility but wants to see the reversing rapids when Adventure of the Seas visits Saint John next summer. The ship excursions all go to the caves and are obviously too rigorous for her.  I am fine with renting a car at the port and going on our own, but I am not sure where exactly to go or whether there's anywhere she will be able to see this phenomenon without having to walk 1/4 mile, which she could do to escape a fire but otherwise would rather not. 

Is this a lost cause?

When we were on Grandeur 6-7 years ago the ship offered a tour to reversing rapids that didn't include the caves or that much walking... are all the excursions up for this sailing?  They are in "winter mode" up there.  Will be glad to contact a friend who knows some locals to see if they know anyone who will be doing limited mobility tours but they don't have final tours set yet.  I'd also keep looking at RCI excursions as well

They may not have all the excursions posted yet, but  she won't want to get up into a bus either.  I am really looking for a location to visit and driving directions as I think she will prefer to have me chauffer her rather than being in a group. Thank you for the info, I appreciate it.  I'd rather have a poor view that's easy to get to rather than a perfect view that involves a hike.

You can see it just fine from a city street - it's even conveniently called Fallsview Avenue!  Parking spots for plenty of cars and a few bus bays for HOHO/coaches. Google Streetview is here. It should open with you looking from the parking spots directly across to the rapids (they're right next to the Pulp Mill).

NB: check the tide timetables carefully! The best way to appreciate the full thing is to see them in full flow each way and during the actual reversing stage of course, but unless you have a looonnng port stop that's not feasible (and honestly, we were underwhelmed by the whole experience - but that was when they advertised it as a waterfall rather than rapids which is a much fairer description without the assumption of a nonexistent big plunge of water!)

Edited by martincath
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

As were we when we were first in Halifax on an auto trip of Can-NE.

Thanks, good to know. Here's the thing. This cruise is mostly for mom and she thinks she wants to see this, so, it's fine with me.  This is her first, last, and only chance to see this, and she thinks it sounds neat, so we have nothing to lose.

I found a schedule for our date and it says low tide is 10:52 am, and we will obviously be there at that time. High tide is 5:06 pm, when we will not. I already reserved a car right by the pier and they open at 8am, and we probably have to be on board by 2pm for 3pm sailaway.

I think this will only allow us to watch the water flowing out, and then become still at ebb tide, without being able to experience the reverse at high tide. Maybe we will check out the visitor's center and restaurant.

The restaurant has tables overlooking the river. Here's the link to the visitor information centre. http://skywalksaintjohn.com/the-experience/ If you are driving in Saint John, you need to remember that there are one-way streets and bridges. I get lost every time I go there. If she decides on Hopewell Rocks instead, they have a bus down to the lower level and this year they also installed a ramp down to the ocean floor so you can get there without stairs. (Didn't get a chance to get down this summer to check it out though) The Fundy Trail has overlooks that you can drive right into. There is handicapped parking near the visitors centre, so bring a pass if you have one because the main parking lots are up or down a hill.

• Thanks 1