Galveston taxes on cigarettes and alcohol

arlodog

We recently sailed out of Galveston on Liberty of the Seas.  It was a horrible disembarkation process with long waits.  We finally got through customs/immigration and were leaving the terminal when we passed a table by the exit doors and were asked if we had purchased any alcohol or cigarettes.  If you say yes, you have to pay taxes.  It was $7.50 per bottle of alcohol and $15.00 per carton of cigarettes.  They then give you the tax stamps and tell you to apply them. 

Just thought I would share this with everyone so you know what to expect.  They are on the honor system, but they won't let you leave if you have made a purchase without paying the taxes on your duty free purchases.  Needless to say due to the high prices for hotel, distance from the port to the airport and poor terminal management we won't be sailing out of Galveston anymore!  Pity as we have sailed many times over the years out of this port. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arlodog said:

We recently sailed out of Galveston on Liberty of the Seas.  It was a horrible disembarkation process with long waits.  We finally got through customs/immigration and were leaving the terminal when we passed a table by the exit doors and were asked if we had purchased any alcohol or cigarettes.  If you say yes, you have to pay taxes.  It was $7.50 per bottle of alcohol and $15.00 per carton of cigarettes.  They then give you the tax stamps and tell you to apply them. 

Just thought I would share this with everyone so you know what to expect.  They are on the honor system, but they won't let you leave if you have made a purchase without paying the taxes on your duty free purchases.  Needless to say due to the high prices for hotel, distance from the port to the airport and poor terminal management we won't be sailing out of Galveston anymore!  Pity as we have sailed many times over the years out of this port. 

If i couldnt drive to the port I wouldnt choose to sail out of Galveston either. However it must have been some time since your last sailing. These regulations have been in place since 2014 i believe.

https://www.cruzely.com/explained-duty-free-shopping-and-bringing-alcoholcigarettes-back-from-a-cruise/

It has been 5 years since we sailed out of Galveston.  We used to sail yearly out of there when the kids were younger but found it was easier for us once the kids grew up to go out of Florida since we didn't have to pay for 4 airline tickets.  We will go back to Florida now as Galveston is a 10 hour drive for us and flights are the same cost wise to Florida from where we are in Kansas. 

We go out of Galveston at least 3 times a year, sometimes 4 or 5.  I just can’t imagine thinking that putting up with an airport twice is worse than the Galveston terminal.  I just don’t get it.  I drive to the terminal and drop my wife and the bags off.  If traffic is bad around the terminal I just turn my radio up and enjoy the comfort of the inside of my pickup.  I’ve never sat in traffic more than 30 minutes.  Once the wife and bags are out I drive across to the parking garage, park my truck and walk over with only my boarding pass and passport to carry.  Security is generally a snap.  Getting off is sometimes more of a challenge but not more than an impending airport and all the associated chaos. 

As for the taxes on cigarettes and alcohol, put them in your bag and keep walking.  If one subtracts the dollar amount saved with buying them onboard from the cost of airfare, then quantifies somehow the inconvenience of going through an airport twice I can’t imagine the savings being material.  More like a rounding error.  

On the other hand, I’m not mad that the perception remains if it results in a less crowded cruise.  Those Florida terminals are amazing people.  Keep moving, nothing to see here in Galveston.  

19 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

On the other hand, I’m not mad that the perception remains if it results in a less crowded cruise.  Those Florida terminals are amazing people.  Keep moving, nothing to see here in Galveston.  

Just remember, if enough people have that attitude the cruise lines won't be able to fill their ships and will eventually stop sailing from Galveston. 

22 minutes ago, aknguyen said:

Don't you have to pay taxes on cigarettes and alcohol at every port when you return?

Florida and Texas have  excise tax on cigs and alcohol. In fact Florida  taxes are much higher than Texas taxes  on alcohol . 

Law is in place in both but all states I guess  do not enforce . 

• 2 months later...

Just walk on by them. Who knows what you have in you bag, they don't !!!   Love cruising from Galveston, easiest port for us to get to. Last trip we were off the ship and pulling out of Lighthouse parking by 9:15 am- Home in Kansas 12 hr & 3 minutes later :classic_rolleyes:

I don't recall if I was asked that specific question when we disembarked at Galveston.  We had bought some Kahlua on the boat but didn't pay any taxes when we got back.  Didn't intentionally dodge that question I just know we didn't have to pay any taxes.  

• 2 weeks later...

First time I stopped and paid the taxes. I knew about this prior to disembarkation and as I'm heading out the exit a lady was there asking folks if they brought alcohol or cigarettes and waved you over to the table where you pay.

This last year I spotted the lady and waited till she was busy with others and just walked through the opposite side of the exit where she was.  

6u1J.gif