French Polynesian cruise for non-swimmer?

HalfMoon

I'm a non-swimmer and DH is not a strong swimmer. However both of us will throw on a life jacket and snorkel if the water is calm. 

We would like to do a cruise around the islands. Are all the excursions water based? We see some reviews where people snorkel at every port. We understand the water life is amazing there so we would definitely do some snorkeling but is there anything else to do? Or would we be missing out if we're not snorkeling at every port?

Thanks! Just trying to get a perspective. We are considering the 10-day Oceania cruise in January. We are also late in the game of planning/booking the excursions if that makes a difference too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve done Tahiti twice on Oceania and once on Windstar and at LAX today awaiting my flight to Papeete for a 17 day Wind Spirit again. I looked at your itinerary and have some suggestions for you even though we are divers/snorkelers. In Fakarava there is lots of gorgeous scenery to see from a snorklers boat tour but you have to book your tour early to get a place because there so few providers. Try to get a group going for Ato’s Fakarava Excursions from your roll call- need at least 8 people. Otherwise book the ships tour. Early. In Moorea you can do a back country jeep tour with some spectacularly beautiful scenery- waterfalls etc. Rangiroa is a divers paradise. The clarity of the water is superb but there are glass bottom boat tours. This is a place where if you snorkel at all-do it. In Raiatea you can take Bruno’s all day boat excursion which circles adjacent Tahaa visits vanilla plantation, pearl farm and there is a drift snorkel in the Coral Garden. L Excursion Breue. In Huahine we do an all day sail on a 12 passenger sail boat- you can snorkel or just loll around on deck. Tahiti Sailing Charter.

Whatever, once in a lifetime for anyone who can afford it you must visit Tahiti- the sky, the color of the water, the views everywhere even for someone who doesn’t like to swim it’s perfection. it’s just like the Stephen Stills song “The Southern Cross”- “when you see the Southern Cross for the first time you understand just why you came this way”. Just do it.

I wrote the previous post almost 12 days ago now and it’s been in limbo since then. Now I’m on the last week of this almost 3 week cruise here and we’ve snorkeled every port with only 2 sea days. There are certainly a lot of land-based interesting things to do on a cruise here. We’ve not done land based but spoken to many onboard who have and were pleased. But if you visit Tahiti you’d be missing a lot if you didn’t snorkel and swim decently and take in the sea life. You can’t always count on the water being calm- depends on wind and current. If you book water excursions through independent operators be sure you let them know your swimming/snorkeling abilities first. Hope you decide to go.

Edited by Petoonya