Carry on only?

Bubbs33

I have an athlete friend who found out what she needed vs wanted when she had to pack for The Amazing Race Canada!  A rolling carryon is now expansive for a week's vacation; she even packed cowboy boots in there, along with clothes for working to high-end parties.  

Me - I did a week down in Florida last month.  Took my my roller and my daypack - came back with clothes I never wore.  And, I had a "going to a nice restaurant" outfit in there.   

I gave away all my "big" pieces of luggage or use them for seasonal clothes storage.  My biggest piece is now my Osprey Sojourn - 26x14x14.  It is a rolling bag that converts to a backpack (with good hip straps!).  I can still hoist this one in the train overheads in Italy, take up 3 flights of stairs to an apartment, roll over rocks and dirt at the safari camps, and do 2 weeks in the winter where winter sports will be the thing to do.  If I packed this one for a cruise - well, I'd have outfits for 3 changes a day!!!  But, I don't need the many changes of clothes.   More power to those who want that freedom.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:31 PM, champagne123 said:

Royal does not and Celebrity, MSC and NCL do not. None of them have laundry rooms.  If you read my post, I said any ships “I” have sailed on.  I did not say ALL ships.  

Sending laundry out in a tiny little bag for $39 is ridiculous to me and defeats the purpose of bringing a carry on, for ME.  I would rather pay the $25 fee on my airline and bring everything I need and want.  

As as I stated above...never again. I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are.  

That assumes that the purpose of doing carry-on is to save money by avoiding baggage fees. That isn't why I do it. It is for mobility and convenience; not to save money. 

• Like 2

Baggage fees or airline fees are the very last reason why we decided to go carry on only.   They simply do not enter into our decision.

Really, after buying air, hotel, cruise etc. do you really think that we would concern ourselves over a cleaning charge or a bag charge?  The notion makes NO SENSE whatsoever. 

I suspect that some people think that what they do is the gold standard and cannot comprehend why anyone would not do the same.    Alas, differences are what makes the world go round.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

I do not do carry on because of baggage fees - I get free bags on my airline of choice to anywhere in the world.   Sometimes I actually CHECK my rolling carryon because 1) I have a multi-hour connection and don't want to roll my bag or 2) I know a flight is going to be full and I do not want to be part of the scrum to put a bag up in the overhead.  I am just comfortable with packing what I need for a trip in a small bag 🙂

• Like 2