matamanoa

Where to stay in Edinburgh

My husband and I will be visiting Edinburgh for approx 4-5 days next fall and was wondering if anyone could recommend a clean, comfortable and central hotel, B & B or guest lodge to stay in.

Thanks in advance,

Barb

The only place I stayed at was fine but too far out from the Golden Mile. I suggest you look fro something reasonably close or that has public transport at it's door. Try Trip Advisor for ideas and then compare with booking direct or through hotel booking agencies.

7 hours ago, matamanoa said:

I will do that.  Thanks for your reply.

Barb

Good luck, it is a great place to visit. If you are going around the time of the Tattoo, book as early as possible.

Never stayed right in Edinburgh, but lived in St Andrews for many years.

In addition to checking out downtown Edinburgh hotels, suggest checking out  B&B's in Fife that are close to Leuchars, Kirkcaldy or North Queensferry train stations. Those 3 stations get all the express trains, with Leuchars being about 1 hour to the centre of Edinburgh. Kirkcaldy about 45 mins and North Queensferry about 20 mins.

Thank you, will check out those areas.  We will be there in the fall of 2019.

Barb

If you stay a minimum of two nights in a UK hotel it is possible to book a "Rail Inclusive Break" through people like superbreak.com.  Look for rail inclusive deals.  I did a three night break in Edinburgh a while back using a central four star hotel.  First class return travel from London, including snacks and drinks was £45 each person PLUS HOTEL COST, at a discount.  Any level of hotel can be used including budget lodge hotels and you can start anywhere in the UK, not just London.  You can alternatively just book a discounted hotel through them.  My experience is that cruise passengers are not usually arriving/leaving in Edinburgh.  If you want just train tickets trainline.com will get you advance purchase tickets at a discount.  Collection of tickets from this latter system is by using a six letter purchase code in conjunction with your original still valid at time of travel credit card presented at the UK train station to the ticket counter or an automated ticket machine.

Hope you find this information useful.

Regards John

Hi Barb,

If your staying in Edinburgh there are loads of options. Edinburgh city centre isn't very big and there a couple of Budget chains like Premier Inn and Apex...The Apex hotel in the Grassmarket area would be a good option.. Although Edinburgh is busy most of the year,  August-November  is a good time to visit as the weather is still reasonable(especially good if you want a day trip or two further north) and you should pick up a reasonable rate for your hotel..As an Edinburgh resident I can only say you'll have a great time and if I can be of any further assistance I'd be glad to help.

Edited by mrchairman
change name

We've stayed at the Premier Inn, Edinburgh East Hotel.  It's basic  but breakfast is included and if you are thinking of hiring a car, parking is free.  There is a bus that stops just outside the hotel which goes into the centre of Edinburgh which is just 2 miles away. They often do offers so may be worth keeping an eye open.

BTW one place to visit is the Royal Yacht Britannia. Definitely worthwhile.