ventura carpet referb from 9th dec

tawegirl

we are sailing on ventura on the 9th of dec to 21st of dec we have just received an e-mail from them that they wil be doing essential maintenance which will be ripping up carpets in the foyers and stairwells both front and back of the ship from 8am to 8pm every day for the whole cruise. this is unacceptable for us as we will have very strong glue smells,dust and carpet fibres in the air and noise from the work, we both have health issues which which can and will be affected by this work, we asked to cancel but were told we would lose all our money we were offered to move to another cruise but the only one suitable was on Oriana but we could not have this as it was cheaper than the one we had paid for, has any other passengers tried to sort out this situation and if so what was the result.

We were on Ventura last year when some stairwell carpets were being replaced. There was no glue smell and the only disruption was the odd flight of stairs being cordoned off. In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about. Hope it all works out for you 🤞

• Like 1

Hi...if this work that is going to be done is going to affect you adversely with the health issues that you have  then I would go to the doctor's and get a letter stating that. I would then contact P&O again stating that you have a doctor's letter and that any health issues that arise from the work that is being carried out will be P&O's responsibility foe any possible adverse outcome. Put everything in writing and see if you receive a different approach from them.  Did you book direct or through a TA?

I understand your concerns, but speaking as a carpet fitter who has worked on cruise ships, disruption will be kept to a minimum.

I would expect them to work in small, closed off areas one at a time, you probably won't even notice.

Noise will be very minimal, replacing carpet is not a particularly noisy job and I would expect any adhesive used to be low odour.

I hope you can find a satisfactory conclusion. We are on Aurora on the 9th December, come with us..

Andy

• Like 1

I honestly don't think you need to get upset. Its a regular occurrence on cruise ships and you hardly notice it's going on. I've been on several ships wirer it's happened. The wear and tear on stair carpets is horrendous and they obviously can't call a ship into dry dock just to replace them. You will still be able to use the lifts anyway so please don't panic. It won't detract from your cruise in any way. 

Like some have said go enjoy and stop worrying . Lots of others will be onboard who also have health issues

and P&O are not going to risk anyone's health.

We were on the Ventura , the first cruise out of dry dock and some workers and carpet fitters were still onboard.

At no time did they do anything to spoil our cruise, yes they would cordon off one part of a stair well and one morning

part of the buffet. No dust. No glue smells and no disruption.

The worst thing we had was on things like gala night, due to static a few carpet fibers would stick to peoples suits or dress around your ankles.

In a couple of weeks we will be on one of the P&O ships that will be taking down Christmas decorations.

I will not worry about dust or disruption from the contractors who do this either as again in our experience ,no problems.

I  would advise go and enjoy your cruise and should you come across a health problem that is affecting your health then go to the medical centre who would take action on your behalf should it be needed.

Edited by kalos

A few years back we got a letter on board (Aurora) that the carpet in our cabin would be replaced, as would our friends' who were in the next door cabin.

The work was completed quicker than expected with no disruption.  Ok it was on a port day so we were off the ship anyway and there was no smell of glue in the cabin.

We have seen carpets replaced on several cruises and never had any problems with disruption or any glue like smells.  The nearest we had to a problem was on Celebrity Millennium where part of the corridor carpet was being replaced, my wife is in a wheelchair and as we approached we wondered how we would get past, but the contractors were quick to move their tools and rolls of carpet to allow us to get past, when we returned the only thing noticeable was that the carpet looked newer, otherwise no mess no smells not even any fluff, mind you they always use top quality woven carpets, none of your economy tufted versions for cruise ships.

Edited by terrierjohn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 9:46 AM, terrierjohn said:

We have seen carpets replaced on several cruises and never had any problems with disruption or any glue like smells.  The nearest we had to a problem was on Celebrity Millennium where part of the corridor carpet was being replaced, my wife is in a wheelchair and as we approached we wondered how we would get past, but the contractors were quick to move their tools and rolls of carpet to allow us to get past, when we returned the only thing noticeable was that the carpet looked newer, otherwise no mess no smells not even any fluff, mind you they always use top quality woven carpets, none of your economy tufted versions for cruise ships.

We returned from Ventura on Friday and I personally suffered badly due to the smell of the adhesive used, I do have a number of allergies and asthma and every time that we used the aft stairs which were the nearest to our cabin I suffered breathing difficulties. 

We used the central stairs even when we wanted to go to the Baytree restaurant or Havanna which are aft but the day that they changed the carpets on the landing of our deck even though they closed the doors from the corridors to the landing the smell affected me and I had to use my inhaler.  I have written to P&O about this as I think that everyone should be given the opportunity to cancel if this sort of work is to take place, there will always people with health problems that will be affected badly.

I was worried about the carpet changes and had a cabin actually on the aft. I didn't experience much disruption other than when they refitted my deck when it became very confusing and difficult to get where I needed to be, missing my breakfast in Epicurean as it took me a while to figure out how to get there when I wasn't fully compos mentis. After reading a previous post  from someone who has fitted carpets on a cruise ship I had taken heart that it would not be too bad with adhesive smells. However in reality there was a very strong smell that did on 2 days trigger an aching head but thankfully not a full blown migraine. BUT as an individual I am super sensitive to smells.

The whole cruise was just OK but the carpet fitting didn't make it worse. Ventura as a ship and the staff I met were fine. It was just I swapped from my usual Caribbean sunshine boost to this cruise for family reasons and ended up with a very grey cruise and not much sunshine. Lesson learned.