Explorer Lisbon to Cape Town Nov 28 until dragged kicking & screaming off

1982CruzStart

Much smoother seas last night, but a whistling balcony door - a long time since we had that problem.

This did not disturb our slumbers much; certainly not as bad as the closet door banging open and closed during the rough seas - of course every time it opened the light came on 🤨

Still, worse things happen at sea!

Today we are in Santa Cruz de la Palma. Forecast is partly cloudy with a high of 72F.

Have decided not to do a tour but will just take a walk into town.

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Thanks SO much, flossie009-  perfect.  Now I am really excited about being in that suite!!

Gerry

You are welcome.

The solid sides to the balconies look as though they will block views aft if you are sitting down or on a sun lounger? Could this be annoying?

9 hours ago, Focused1 said:

Wondering about the current crew of officers since we are boarding in Cape Town.  Was hoping for CD John Barron early on but know he is on vacation. 

Senior officers & staff on board Explorer at present:

Master: Serena Melani (due to remain until early Feb 2019)

Staff Captain: Abhi Singh

Chief Engineer: Luca Griggi 

General Manager: Andreas Piccinin (may be relieved before Christmas?)

Food & Beverage Director: Stephane Carriou

Executive Chef: Michael Meyepa

Dining Room Manager: Brandon Haylock

Chief Purser: Lui Toro

Executive Concierge: Jeff Potts

Chief Housekeeper: Pitchie Guansing

Cruise Director: Margaret Lynn (due to remain until early Feb 2019)

Asst CD: Evan Bosworth

Social Hostess: Nicola Richards

John Barron was on Mariner but has just flown home on leave for Christmas & the New Year. Not sure which ship he will be joining following his vacation.

When we booked this cruise it was because of 3 ports - Lisbon, Madeira and CapeTown.  We wanted to spend extra time in Lisbon and arranged the visit just the way we wanted. I booked our tour in Madeira to include a very specific tour that would take us to a winery, tour the cellar and have a tasting. I am a big fan of Madeira and was really looking forward to the opportunity to taste what i hoped would be some high end wine and take some home with us.  Even the description on the TV showed a lovely winery. 

Well the tour was a bust and from the sounds of it we would have been better off on almost any of the other tours.  We did not go to a winery but instead was taken to a very basic cafe for a tasting of some low end wine and a honey cake.  Our tour guide screwed up the description  of the tour right from the beginning. She told us  earlier in the tour that the wine had to be at least 5 years aged to be considered good and then gave us a sample of a 3 year wine. Pretty disappointing.  When i asked her about the winery she didn't know what i was talking about. 

When we got back to the ship i spoke to Destination services. She said that it would be discussed with the tour operator. I asked if she could let me know what they said. Anyway as far as i was concerned the discussion was over and she seemed to be done as well so i said thank you and walked away.  I have a terrible sense of direction so walked away in the wrong direction only to figure out i was in fact going in the wrong direction and turned around to head back to the cabin.  In the meantime the captain was doing an update from the bridge. Well apparently the staff member wasn't done and was screaming at the top of her lungs my name as well as engaging other passengers in trying to get my attention. I went back and she pointedly said " i was not done talking". I said sorry i didn't realize that and then she proceeded to say the exact same thing she said to me just before what i thought was the end of the conversation. She didn't need to make a big fuss in front of all the other passengers to say something she had already said to me. She could have called my suite if she had anything useful to say. 

I thought her behaviour inappropriate in a public space. 

All in all left a bad taste in my mouth and between the tour operator and this encounter with destination services they ruined my visit to Madeira. 

Oh well i move on and will enjoy a lovely day in santa cruz de la palma.  We are doing the Volcanoes and wines tour. 

Dinner in CR was well done. I had 3 small courses - the chicken and goose liver parfait, the beef carpaccio and the scallops.  The parfait and the scallops were both delicious but the carpaccio was indifferent.  i forgot my camera so no photos to share.  They were all very well presented as always.  

The production show last night, My Revolution, was excellent.

The singers & dancers together with the musicians in the band are all very talented.

We are looking forward to future productions and understand that as well as the normal production shows there will be a James Bond evening and a preview of the Christmas Show  😀

7 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Thanks SO much, flossie009-  perfect.  Now I am really excited about being in that suite!!

Gerry

A better view of the back of the ship:

D88804FF-DE6F-4C82-B13B-FD8BFD28C9CF.thumb.jpeg.3752e94fb2e5166e8aa964b9cac0f9ec.jpeg

Working up from the bottom:

Deck 4: Aft mooring winches

Deck 5: Infinity Pool

Deck 6: Gym (darkened windows)

Decks 7, 8, 9: Suites

Deck 10: Speciality restaurants

Deck 11: La Veranda 

Deck 12: Sports

........... and a view looking down on the rear corner suites from La Veranda:

C86A210C-9882-4B27-938D-5CF0B9096FB0.jpeg.cc5b3b3acbf49f0aa6bc409a82131e76.jpeg

Went for a sunny walk into the town of Santa Cruz de la Palma this morning.

A very attractive main shopping street with a good variety of shops,  cafes, bars & restaurants.

3D8416B8-AF93-4DD8-B8DA-23CE235EDA98.jpeg.ff3daae0dce9a1f03a3785eeb466c347.jpeg

5E91FB60-A763-4E94-941D-4CB57C2911B0.jpeg.abd8edc86a15eec79c52a4119a165651.jpeg

A781996F-4BA6-4DDE-99F6-22921B28AEBD.thumb.jpeg.8c647d56f4872288f0174801d07ba1f9.jpeg

After our “exercise”, it was back on board for a leisurely lunch outside at the rear of La Veranda. Very quiet as many guests are on tours.

A very passable “fish & chips” for lunch - breaded cod with lobster aioli and French fries; no mushy peas but delicious all the same 😋

Now for a lazy afternoon on deck and try to answer the daily Mensa questions.

Update to the post about officers & senior staff:

Apparently Andreas Piccinin is going on vacation on 07 December; Massimo Arzani will join Explorer on 17 December.

9 hours ago, flossie009 said:

You are welcome.

The solid sides to the balconies look as though they will block views aft if you are sitting down or on a sun lounger? Could this be annoying?

Not at all.   We had the Owners Suite on Oceania Riveria - with open railings.  But so narrow that it was hard to pass between the furniture and the side of the ship!!   What we are interested in is having room to have dinner (seems from your photos there is a dining table and chairs) and to sit out.  Not to look down so much.  Anyway - I can't tell you how much I appreciate the trouble you have taken to provide the photos!!   MANY thanks!

Gerry

1982CruiseStart -- the "wine" in Madeira is fortified wine - like port.  (also Portugese as it happens...)   It is pretty awful stuff and the older it gets the more it is "supposed" to improve.  Actually I don't think it does all that much unless you like a very sweet dessert wine.  (Which I don't...)   I have done the "tour" of the wineries - more than once.  First time was in 1952 en route from Southampton to Port Elizabeth.  I was 10 and was allowed a taste of the "wine".   More recently on several TAs - have taken one tour which involved Blandys and for the rest have done things on our own which has been a lot better.  No more "wine" tours for us in Madeira!  Lots of Botanical Gardens though...

17 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

When we booked this cruise it was because of 3 ports - Lisbon, Madeira and CapeTown.  We wanted to spend extra time in Lisbon and arranged the visit just the way we wanted. I booked our tour in Madeira to include a very specific tour that would take us to a winery, tour the cellar and have a tasting. I am a big fan of Madeira and was really looking forward to the opportunity to taste what i hoped would be some high end wine and take some home with us.  Even the description on the TV showed a lovely winery. 

Well the tour was a bust and from the sounds of it we would have been better off on almost any of the other tours.  We did not go to a winery but instead was taken to a very basic cafe for a tasting of some low end wine and a honey cake.  Our tour guide screwed up the description  of the tour right from the beginning. She told us  earlier in the tour that the wine had to be at least 5 years aged to be considered good and then gave us a sample of a 3 year wine. Pretty disappointing.  When i asked her about the winery she didn't know what i was talking about. 

When we got back to the ship i spoke to Destination services. She said that it would be discussed with the tour operator. I asked if she could let me know what they said. Anyway as far as i was concerned the discussion was over and she seemed to be done as well so i said thank you and walked away.  I have a terrible sense of direction so walked away in the wrong direction only to figure out i was in fact going in the wrong direction and turned around to head back to the cabin.  In the meantime the captain was doing an update from the bridge. Well apparently the staff member wasn't done and was screaming at the top of her lungs my name as well as engaging other passengers in trying to get my attention. I went back and she pointedly said " i was not done talking". I said sorry i didn't realize that and then she proceeded to say the exact same thing she said to me just before what i thought was the end of the conversation. She didn't need to make a big fuss in front of all the other passengers to say something she had already said to me. She could have called my suite if she had anything useful to say. 

I thought her behaviour inappropriate in a public space. 

All in all left a bad taste in my mouth and between the tour operator and this encounter with destination services they ruined my visit to Madeira. 

Oh well i move on and will enjoy a lovely day in santa cruz de la palma.  We are doing the Volcanoes and wines tour. 

Dinner in CR was well done. I had 3 small courses - the chicken and goose liver parfait, the beef carpaccio and the scallops.  The parfait and the scallops were both delicious but the carpaccio was indifferent.  i forgot my camera so no photos to share.  They were all very well presented as always.  

Sorry to hear of your encounter with Destination Services.  We avoid them as much as possible.  On the other hand, it is important to let someone know (thinking Miami Corporate) that the excursion is not what was described.  In general, I do not think that the onboard Destination Staff care.  While I will not name the person, one of the head people in Destination Services (last seen on Explorer) was so bad that I had to report her to the General Manager as well as Regent Corporate (she was screaming at us in front of other passengers for something that was not our fault ........ really bad form on their part)..  Unless and until they change some of these people, what you encountered will continue to happen.  Dislike being so negative.

Hope that the rest of your excursions will be more positive!

Edited by Travelcat2

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sorry to hear of your encounter with Destination Services.  We avoid them as much as possible.  On the other hand, it is important to let someone know (thinking Miami Corporate) that the excursion is not what was described.  In general, I do not think that the onboard Destination Staff care.  While I will not name the person, one of the head people in Destination Services (last seen on Explorer) was so bad that I had to report her to the General Manager as well as Regent Corporate (she was screaming at us in front of other passengers for something that was not our fault ........ really bad form on their part)..  Unless and until they change some of these people, what you encountered will continue to happen.  Dislike being so negative.

Thanks TC2. I did give a fulll account of what was promised but not delivered. She said she would get back to me after it was discussed with the tour operator. If i don't hear back i will mention it in the mid cruise questionaire or send a note directly to the GM. 

Anyways onward and upward.

thanks Hambagahle. 

The tour yesterday was good. Had a visit to one of the largest volcano craters on the island. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable though a little inexperienced in delivering his message.  the wine tasting was okay but really we didn't have high expectations of the wine being too high a quality.  

Dinner was in Setti Mari last night. Place was packed as was our experience in the past on other ships. While we were standing in line we struck up a conversation with the people behind us and then asked if they wanted to join us. It is always nice to meet new people onboard.  As we are travelling with another couple the opportunities to do that are fewer as we tend to just have drinks and dinner with them. 

A nice couple from New Jersey and things were going swinmmingly until literally i was swimming in water. the gentleman had accidently tipped his glass full of water in my direction and it covered the whole area in front of me in water and onto me. I jumped up quickly to minimize the wet. Fortunately it was only water so no big deal. the staff hurried over with dry a few cloth napkins to mop up the water.  A little damp for the rest of the dinner but I dried pretty quickly. 

I can't believe i once again failed to get pictures even though i remembered my phone. I would get everything mostly eaten then remember. But by then i was pretty sure no one was going to enjoy looking at my meal. 

I had the veal scallopine with lemon. Have to say it was a disappointment. The sauce just had little flavor and in particular no lemon flavor. I love a good lemon sauce and this just wasn't it. The veal was fine but without the lemon sauce is was just that. 

The anitpasti I had from the buffet was very good. 

The show was an introduction to some of the entertainment staff and was well done.

Fun night in spite of the hiccups. 

11 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

1982CruiseStart -- the "wine" in Madeira is fortified wine - like port.  (also Portugese as it happens...)   It is pretty awful stuff and the older it gets the more it is "supposed" to improve.  Actually I don't think it does all that much unless you like a very sweet dessert wine.  (Which I don't...)   I have done the "tour" of the wineries - more than once.  First time was in 1952 en route from Southampton to Port Elizabeth.  I was 10 and was allowed a taste of the "wine".   More recently on several TAs - have taken one tour which involved Blandys and for the rest have done things on our own which has been a lot better.  No more "wine" tours for us in Madeira!  Lots of Botanical Gardens though...

Although Madeira wine, like Spanish sherry, is not to everyone’s taste there is over 3 million litres of it produced each year. As well as the heavy dark varieties there are also lighter versions.

Anyway, as I understand it, the main point of the complaint was not about the quality of Madeira wine but rather that:

1. The excursion was not as described

2. The complaint was not handled sympathetically or professionally by Regent staff.

Hopefully a word with the Destination Services Manager and/or the GM will bring a more satisfactory conclusion.

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Damning all the hard working members of a complete Regent department, based on one occurrence, does seem a little harsh.

We have met many very helpful members of Destination Services during our Regent cruises.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Damning all the hard working members of a complete Regent department, based on one occurrence, does seem a little harsh.

We have met many very helpful members of Destination Services during our Regent cruises.

I have had very good experiences with Destination Services including one time when the tour in Cabo San Lucas was run in a very dangerous fashion - and I complained about this.  The Head of Dest. Services called me to discuss my complaint and then I received a joint letter from her and the GM saying that the tour operator would not be re-hired on the basis of my complaint (which was substantiated by the report of the Regent staffer who was with us...)   Another couple of times they had to work hard to re-book excursions when a port was cancelled.

They do not have an easy job.  Local tour operators run the excursions and DS probably has zero say in what actually happens on the ground.  That said - lack of politeness = unprofessional attitude and is inexcusable any time.