URGENT question

kpgclark

I can't say exactly how Viking made everything right because when my sister spoke with them they wanted things settled privately.  I will say that what they did was very fair considering my sister did not go on the trip solo because the original representative said she'd have to pay even more money to travel alone as I said in my first few messages.  So my sister did not go on the trip due to the unfair additional supplement which would have been more than she paid (paid in full ) for her and her husband.  So over the next few days after missing the trip she worked with some supervisors to come up with a very fair solution having to do with a future cruise credit.  I'm sorry I can't say more than that because my sister asked me not to.  I can say that she didn't get any money back, nor did she expect to.  

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I get your point, @lonagarr but many of us wonder.... why come on here for advice but then refuse to share the resolution?

I like my TA but I think she gave me bad advice about this.  She said to wait until the last minute then tell them my partner is sick and can't go.  I'd much rather tell Viking up front even if I have to pay extra (which is ridiculous).  I do have trip insurance if we both cancel, no problem.  My partner is away right now because his father is in the hospital.  I'm looking at attending a pre-planned activity without him because there are no refunds.  Same with a cruise.  I could see going on a cruise without him if he really needed to be with his father.  Again, we have trip insurance so this is just a hypothetical.

Good point.  I would hate to have others needlessly fret if this was just a misunderstanding.  Is it the policy of Viking to charge a ridiculous fee or was this a "one off"?

2 hours ago, Marykatesmom said:

Good point.  I would hate to have others needlessly fret if this was just a misunderstanding.  Is it the policy of Viking to charge a ridiculous fee or was this a "one off"?

This is the policy. It is done routinely by Viking as well as other cruise lines. That is why travel insurance policies have “Single Supplement” clauses.

Most people just aren’t aware of the intricacies because they don’t read the actual policy, but it helps to do that so you know what questions to ask in determining if a policy is right for you.

7 minutes ago, Babr said:

This is the policy. It is done routinely by Viking as well as other cruise lines. That is why travel insurance policies have “Single Supplement” clauses.

Most people just aren’t aware of the intricacies because they don’t read the actual policy, but it helps to do that so you know what questions to ask in determining if a policy is right for you.

That's good advice.  And I follow it.  But no one can anticipate every possibility.  For example even a policy with pre existing coverage does not cover every medical condition.  Some are excluded.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I get your point, @lonagarr but many of us wonder.... why come on here for advice but then refuse to share the resolution?

I like my TA but I think she gave me bad advice about this.  She said to wait until the last minute then tell them my partner is sick and can't go.  I'd much rather tell Viking up front even if I have to pay extra (which is ridiculous).  I do have trip insurance if we both cancel, no problem.  My partner is away right now because his father is in the hospital.  I'm looking at attending a pre-planned activity without him because there are no refunds.  Same with a cruise.  I could see going on a cruise without him if he really needed to be with his father.  Again, we have tri A insurance so this is just a hypothetical.

The OP was not the person who experienced the situation; she was looking for help for her sister who is not a CC member. The OP may have posted without getting permission from the sister, hence the possible need for privacy. I get your point, we all want to learn from others' experiences, but in this case, the OP may have upset her sister by posting even though she was just trying to help. This, of course, is just an assumption. There are many possible scenarios!

I hope your partner's father is getting better and he can go with you. You never know when a family issue may come up which makes having to plan so far out so iffy. Thank goodness for insurance, but the extra single fee really stings.