RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

Read part of this long thread and just adding our experience. Still feeling bruised. We are D+, never had any fairy upgrades. Got the bid offer before Harmony Dec 2019 two weeks before sailing.  Bid a low offer of I think it was $160pp from front OV to a neighbourhood balcony, fully expecting no luck.

Well behold,  got accepted, Centra Park, felt pretty satisfied. Got email notice of success,, room number cruise planner printed with new set sail pass but no luggage tags....since 5 days before cruise wasn’t too concerned.

On arrival at pier attendent could not find the upgrade on his list, put hand written tags to room on set sail pass, luggage delivered to that cabin.  At cabin found someone else’s name, visited customer serve desk, who told us this was not our cabin, we were in error...after several minutes of discussion, pulled out Ipad and showed confirmation. After checking in back apologized and offered free wow bracelets for compensationthat ( got charged on account anyway, another story).

Happily in cabin after good hour wasted, all D+ benefits delivered to previous room, no delivery of cc meeting, or level receptions. Did have delivery of offers from lady with Platinum benefits and paperwork of three other people. Makes one curious of privacy. 

Would I bid again, not likely the unknown just not worth the errors. If this is a new practice it needs some work. Certainly put a damper on the cruise.

7 hours ago, kathywin53 said:

Read part of this long thread and just adding our experience. Still feeling bruised. We are D+, never had any fairy upgrades. Got the bid offer before Harmony Dec 2019 two weeks before sailing.  Bid a low offer of I think it was $160pp from front OV to a neighbourhood balcony, fully expecting no luck.

Well behold,  got accepted, Centra Park, felt pretty satisfied. Got email notice of success,, room number cruise planner printed with new set sail pass but no luggage tags....since 5 days before cruise wasn’t too concerned.

On arrival at pier attendent could not find the upgrade on his list, put hand written tags to room on set sail pass, luggage delivered to that cabin.  At cabin found someone else’s name, visited customer serve desk, who told us this was not our cabin, we were in error...after several minutes of discussion, pulled out Ipad and showed confirmation. After checking in back apologized and offered free wow bracelets for compensationthat ( got charged on account anyway, another story).

Happily in cabin after good hour wasted, all D+ benefits delivered to previous room, no delivery of cc meeting, or level receptions. Did have delivery of offers from lady with Platinum benefits and paperwork of three other people. Makes one curious of privacy. 

Would I bid again, not likely the unknown just not worth the errors. If this is a new practice it needs some work. Certainly put a damper on the cruise.

Wow, that would certainly start off the cruise on a bad note.

i hope you are keeping an eye on your credit card statement and making sure that Royal does not charge the $160 pp upgrade fee.

I would send an e mail about this to royalguestrelations@rccl.com 

7 hours ago, kathywin53 said:

So if you do win make sure you get docs reissued.

Last week I bid on a balcony->Owner's suite upgrade. I figured "what the heck" and tossed in a minimum bid. Do you all think it's possible that if my bid is accepted, I could end up in a 2BR Owners suite with no balcony? I wouldn't want that and I'm thinking of canceling my bid, just in case.

EDIT: After further review, I think I'm reading the colors on the deck plans wrong. It looks like all the Owner's Suites have balconies. Carry on, nothing to see here.

Edited by RichYak
Posted question before my morning coffee
  • Haha 1

Agree with all 23 pages of comments.... Wife had second thoughts on all 4 of us in a balcony cabin.  On a last month's holiday cruise (AOS) bid on a Jr Suite.  Moved the bid needle to strong (was still less than retail).  No dice.  I knew it wasn't going to happen because the time of year but gave it a shot.  Off peak probably = upgrade.  

On 1/11/2019 at 5:31 AM, Bandera Cruiser said:

We will be on Liberty of the Seas for 7 days on the March 10th sailing. Original booking was ~$1600 for an inside on deck 6, we are now in a balcony on deck 9. I bid the minimum of $100 ($200 total).

Hey Bandera Cruiser - we are on the same sailing! Hope to see you at the Meet & Mingle. We paid more for our RoyalUp upgrade ($255pp, but we went from a Deck 2 oceanview to a JS. I was thinking this sailing was sold out due to spring break, but apparently not. Less than 2 months to go!! 😄

6 minutes ago, torbs said:

Agree with all 23 pages of comments.... Wife had second thoughts on all 4 of us in a balcony cabin.  On a last month's holiday cruise (AOS) bid on a Jr Suite.  Moved the bid needle to strong (was still less than retail).  No dice.  I knew it wasn't going to happen because the time of year but gave it a shot.  Off peak probably = upgrade.  

It seems odd that they would ask you to bid on an upgrade unless they had some space available. I'm in marketing, and from my experience, companies try to avoid offering something to their customers that they can't deliver (at least for the right price). My guess is the algorithms of the RoyalUP bidding process are more complex than we realize. In addition to the available space, it probably takes into account the type of cabin the person currently has reserved (I would think Inside and OV would be most popular), the original booking price (those with a bargain rate would be top priority), the customer's loyalty membership status, etc. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of auction bidding in travel (e.g. hotels, flight.)?

7 minutes ago, CruiseGirl4ever said:

It seems odd that they would ask you to bid on an upgrade unless they had some space available.  ...

Does not seem odd to me.  I figure some of these offers are for market research purposes.  Also could be Royal's very low level of IT competence, sending offers to the wrong people.  Can't tell you how many times we have received emails touting excursions for cruises for which we are not even booked.

12 minutes ago, CruiseGirl4ever said:

It seems odd that they would ask you to bid on an upgrade unless they had some space available. I'm in marketing, and from my experience, companies try to avoid offering something to their customers that they can't deliver (at least for the right price). My guess is the algorithms of the RoyalUP bidding process are more complex than we realize. In addition to the available space, it probably takes into account the type of cabin the person currently has reserved (I would think Inside and OV would be most popular), the original booking price (those with a bargain rate would be top priority), the customer's loyalty membership status, etc. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of auction bidding in travel (e.g. hotels, flight.)?

They also offer the upgrades on cabins that they do not have in the event that someone cancels last minute.  This way they already have a qualified buyer available and do not have to start calling people last minute to try to upsell a cabin or heaven forbid offer someone a free upgrade.

They are pretty clear that not all offers are accepted so they really are not at risk of disappointing anyone except those with false hopes.

Like a staircase with the top step being the best cabin on the ship.

They will wait, up until the last possible moment, to see what is the highest bid for any unoccupied upper step  and adjust the vacancies created in the same way all the way down the line.

It would be nice to see them have a cut off time a little longer than they do, especially if the ship is totally sold out a week prior to the cruise. 

Pro's;  Could get an upgrade for less than the actual stateroom price.

Con's; None I can think of.

20 hours ago, kathywin53 said:

Wow... I believe based on my personal experience that there is a disconnect between Plusgrade and Royal’s inventory. Your experience is as bad as it gets when you outsource an upgrade process such as this to a third party company. Thanks for giving me and others the details on how this new upgrade process is not as seamless as it should be.  Has to be extremely frustrating and infuriating when you were confirmed prior to boarding to be in a higher category and only to be denied when you boarded.

Edited by coaster

Plusgrade offers the promise below to the companies such as Royal that partner with them. What could possibly go wrong for those of us on the consumer level?  Not very impressed with the current partnership with Plusgrade.

We’re experts in capturing real, high-margin, game-changing new revenue opportunity from your existing guests

Edited by coaster

12 hours ago, CruiseGirl4ever said:

It seems odd that they would ask you to bid on an upgrade unless they had some space available. I'm in marketing, and from my experience, companies try to avoid offering something to their customers that they can't deliver (at least for the right price). My guess is the algorithms of the RoyalUP bidding process are more complex than we realize. In addition to the available space, it probably takes into account the type of cabin the person currently has reserved (I would think Inside and OV would be most popular), the original booking price (those with a bargain rate would be top priority), the customer's loyalty membership status, etc. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of auction bidding in travel (e.g. hotels, flight.)?

There is a different factor that I believe is involved.The relationship  between Royal and Plusgrade - their third party vendor. Could be that the two different companies are not sharing accurate inventory data in a matter where upgrade offers far exceed current inventory.

Edited by coaster

18 minutes ago, coaster said:

It seems odd that they would ask you to bid on an upgrade unless they had some space available. I'm in marketing, and from my experience, companies try to avoid offering something to their customers that they can't deliver (at least for the right price). My guess is the algorithms of the RoyalUP bidding process are more complex than we realize. In addition to the available space, it probably takes into account the type of cabin the person currently has reserved (I would think Inside and OV would be most popular), the original booking price (those with a bargain rate would be top priority), the customer's loyalty membership status, etc. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of auction bidding in travel (e.g. hotels, flight.)?

There is a different factor that I believe is involved.The relationship  between Royal and Plusgrade - their third party vendor. Could be that the two different companies are not sharing accurate inventory data in a matter where upgrade offers far exceed current inventory.

Maybe they get paid for every bid

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Maybe they get paid for every bid

You might be right! An excellent possible explanation. Can anyone tell I am not a fan of Plusgrade....

Edited by coaster

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Of course they are offering upgrades on cabins beyond their current inventory.

That is one of the main goals of this program.  If someone cancels last minute Royal now have people who have committed to pay a certain amount for that cabin.  It saves Royal from then having to try to resell that cabin by calling people or even worse offering that cabin as a free upgrade.

The other goal is the obvious one which is to fill current unfilled cabins.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Connect with our team to discuss your opportunity to
increase Plusgrade is an award-winning technology company at the forefront of ancillary revenue and merchandising in the global travel industry. The pioneer of premium upgrade bidding, Plusgrade enables maximum return on unsold premium inventory through an engaging and effortless customer journey.revenue

Plusgrade is to blame. Royal contracted Plusgrade to manage their upgrade bid processRoyal sent me an  email saying I would get a new email to rebid within 24 hrs as I self upgraded earlier from inside to outside and I needed to bid again for the higher categories I already put bids out for. Did not happen.  No new email to bid to balcony almost a week later.

rove customer satisfaction.

Royal Caribbean reserves the right to not accept any bid regardless of offer amount or stateroom availability. Availability of upgrades is limited and is made at the sole discretion of Royal Caribbean. We reserve the right to accept any bid from the time it is submitted to the departure date and time. Bids are based on double occupancy. Only the first and second passenger on the reservation will be charged. Once your bid is accepted, the upgrade amount paid is final and non-refundable. The upgrade does not include any additional promotions. Current promotions on the reservation will not be altered. Royal Caribbean cannot guarantee a specific cabin number assignment within the upgraded category. Your cabin number will depend on space availability and cannot be changed. ©2018 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships’ registry: The Bahamas. 18065216 • 11/19/2018

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal Caribbean reserves the right to not accept any bid regardless of offer amount or stateroom availability. Availability of upgrades is limited and is made at the sole discretion of Royal Caribbean. We reserve the right to accept any bid from the time it is submitted to the departure date and time. Bids are based on double occupancy. Only the first and second passenger on the reservation will be charged. Once your bid is accepted, the upgrade amount paid is final and non-refundable. The upgrade does not include any additional promotions. Current promotions on the reservation will not be altered. Royal Caribbean cannot guarantee a specific cabin number assignment within the upgraded category. Your cabin number will depend on space availability and cannot be changed. ©2018 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships’ registry: The Bahamas. 18065216 • 11/19/2018

What is your point? You can copy and paste pretty well. 

Edited by coaster

23 minutes ago, coaster said:

What is your point? You can copy and paste pretty well. 

You seem to think that there is an issue with Royal and Plusgrade (which by the way you also copy and paste very well) and that they are sending out too many upgrade offers based on available inventory.

I am simply pointing out that there are 2 components to this system;

- one being to fill any unsold cabins 

- the second being to have prequalified customers who have committed to an upgrade should a cabin suddenly become available.

In order to get enough qualified bids and get the most money in return it makes perfect sense that they send out a lot more bids than available inventory whether it is actual or anticipated inventory.  

I’m sure they know that is they send out xxx number of bids what % of people will bid the min, mid or max amounts.  It makes sense that they would send out as many bids s they can to get  ore people potentially bidding the maximum.

Royal makes it quite clear that there may or may not be inventory or that bids may or may not be accepted.

19 hours ago, CruiseGirl4ever said:

Not really, and they make no promises of availability. it's not about marketing. It's to help with yield management instead.

I bid and was upgraded from an obstructed balcony on the Anthem of the Seas holiday 8 day

to a Sky Loft for much less than a junior suite. Free wifi, access to the concierge lounge (free drinks

from 4:30 to 8pm) bottle of champagne for new years. Plus all the other perks for me that was a great

deal