RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, for the first two people in the cabin.

ONLY applies to the first 2 people. Even if you have 6. Just double your bid amount to get what it will cost you, total.

Unless, the gratuities increase. Due to being upgraded to a Suite.

Edited by FireEMT978

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yeah my lowest bids for the next category up on both Royal Caribbean and Princess would have cost me more than if I would have booked the category from the get go and I would have had my choice of room. When shopping for a cruise I now record the the price of the next category up so I can compare prices.  They know the majority aren't as O.C.D as I am and just base their decision on the $$ increase per person which can sound attractive if you don't have a clue what the price was at the time of booking.

Sometimes people change their minds.  You can't go back in time and self upgrade😉

Edited by John&LaLa

19 hours ago, Biker19 said:

There was an upsell fairy - she called, instead of this automated system, offering you a discounted upgrade. Free upgrades were much less common and just about unheard of now.

I received a totally surprising visit from the upgrade fairy just before the "up bid" program came out.  Serenade 11 night, showing JS cabins sold out...but when I went in to print my luggage tags...different number.  Was upgraded for free without any kind of notice to JS cabin from balcony.  But that was the last I saw of her.  

Now of course...the sweet upgrade fairy (that free one) has been killed off and tossed overboard by her evil sister the "up bid fairy".  We won't see her again..RIP upgrade fairy.  😞 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Min, I'm thinking about bidding on Ultra spacious 

If you're willing to spend $300 more on the ultra spacious, why not fork out the extra $100 for a JS which will include dinner in the CK? Just wondering. Awe crap, never mind. You have access to CK anyway, right?! Duh! Had a brain fart!🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 12:10 PM, tomservo said:

Thanks for the insight, I figured as much.

In either case, I put in a max bid for an OS, 85% of max for GS, and 50% for JS. I will report back if I get anything, but I'm trying not to expect anything. We're a cabin of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) in a balcony. We're new to RCI, so here's to hoping for a new cruiser bump! 

Quick update along with the numbers from the prior bid.

Room - Min/Max pp

JS - 100/500

GS - 500/800

OS - 600/900

I bid 500, 1360 (just barely into Strong territory), and 1800. Despite strong bids for the GS and the OS I ended up with the JS. I know many on here don't think the JS is worth any more than 200 or so, but it was our first time in a JS and I really wanted to try it. Will probably not bid that much on it next time.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Quick update along with the numbers from the prior bid.

Room - Min/Max pp

JS - 100/500

GS - 500/800

OS - 600/900

I bid 500, 1360 (just barely into Strong territory), and 1800. Despite strong bids for the GS and the OS I ended up with the JS. I know many on here don't think the JS is worth any more than 200 or so, but it was our first time in a JS and I really wanted to try it. Will probably not bid that much on it next time.

A Jr. Suite is so much nicer and roomier then a regular balcony cabin-  I think it is a least 1 1/2 times the size.  It have a great closet- walk in, practically a room!  I actually think they use that closet in a Family suite, with a set of bunk beds.  You can also dine in the suite restaurant for dinner- So worth it. IMO  Enjoy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

A Jr. Suite is so much nicer and roomier then a regular balcony cabin-  I think it is a least 1 1/2 times the size.  It have a great closet- walk in, practically a room!  I actually think they use that closet in a Family suite, with a set of bunk beds.  You can also dine in the suite restaurant for dinner- So worth it. IMO  Enjoy

also to note, JS you earn double C&A points per night if you plan on sticking with royal 😄 @tomservo

1 hour ago, EDiamond22 said:

also to note, JS you earn double C&A points per night if you plan on sticking with royal 😄 @tomservo

Unfortunately you do not receive double points if the upgrade to a suite is from a RoyalUp bid. One of the conditions is that you only receive the points from your original booking. ☹️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

Unfortunately you do not receive double points if the upgrade to a suite is from a RoyalUp bid. One of the conditions is that you only receive the points from your original booking. ☹️

oh interesting good to know, thanks for the correction !

We are booked on ovation of the seas out of Sydney in February. There is a lot of availability on this cruise.

my question is that we have 2 interconnected cabins with virtual balconies. What happens with connecting rooms and bookings with this new system? Can we upbid to higher category interconnected rooms or a suite?

Each reservation is independent, so if either (or both) staterooms are invited to RoyalUp, they will do so without consideration for the fact that they are connecting. Chances are extremely high that you would end up separated. If being connected is important, I would recommend not bidding on an upgrade.  It is not common for an inside room to be offered a RoyalUp to a suite.  If there is a great deal of suite availability, I guess it’s possible, but unlikely.  You would not be allowed to combine 2:staterooms into 1 suite via a RoyalUp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Palmetto Pilot said:

I got a few more days to wait until the 30 day period on the royal up page. Thanks for the info!

Despite the error that many get saying Royal Up is only available inside 30 days, that's not always true. I never got an e-mail to bid but was able to do so at about 40 days out on my next sailing. Some sailings may never have Royal up opportunities and some customers never get to do so because their TA opted out - they get that same error.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Look for your rejection e-mail about 6PM on the day before sailing.

Lolol that’s reassuring     

ive never dealt with upgrades.  I’m a Virgin. Maybe I’ll get lucky lol. 

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:04 AM, Coralc said:

Which is why we only bid on upgrades if we are already booked in a JS.:classic_smile:

• Like 1