Hotels in Long Beach

lccruiser

I use Trip Advisor in my planning.  I do find the site really helpful.

My husband and I used to live in the area. San Pedro for a couple years. Torrance is worth a look, lots of choices & big hotel chains. My husband's business has been in Torrance for 27 years. In past 4 day cruises he has dropped me off at the Carnival Pier and gone back to work.  Just a suggestion ....

🌸🌸 Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18

There are lots of hotels in downtown Long Beach but NONE of them have free shuttles to the port.

You'll pay a taxi about $10 or Uber/Lyft maybe a little less to get there.

This one is farther from the port but offers a stay n cruise n park rate and a free shuttle:

https://www.hotelcurrent.com/

The Residence Inn is close to the Maya but I don't know its parking policy.

Edited by riffatsea

i'm staying at the pike, but i'm taking the blue line to long beach and don't have to worry about my car.

if you are staying in long beach and your port is long beach and not san pedro, then look at the long beach passport.  it is a free bus service that drops you off in the parking lot of the queen mary/cruise port, and it is a short walk across the parking lot to the porters.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:09 AM, riffatsea said:

There are lots of hotels in downtown Long Beach but NONE of them have free shuttles to the port.

You'll pay a taxi about $10 or Uber/Lyft maybe a little less to get there.

This one is farther from the port but offers a stay n cruise n park rate and a free shuttle:

https://www.hotelcurrent.com/

The Residence Inn is close to the Maya but I don't know its parking policy.

I booked the Holiday Inn in Long Beach after my cruise, they have a free shuttle pick up at the port. They also have a free shuttle to go see the Queen Mary.

It's good to know about the Holiday Inn. It you look on a map you will see it is not really in "downtown" Long Beach which is the area I mentioned as having hotels withOUT shuttles to the pier.

Good to know that the Holiday Inn is another park n stay option with free shuttle.

I don't know that area of Long Beach well so cannot comment on it.

There are two Holiday Inns in Long Beach--one is up at the airport...the other is on Atlantic Avenue at Anaheim Street--between St. Mary's Hospital and Long Beach Poly High School--Not exactly prime Long Beach...sort of a scuzzy area and not close to the touristy area, the nice restaurants, etc.  But, OTOH, sounds like you'll have your car with you, so you'll be able to get out of there...The parking is along the street in front, partially under the building and in back--where it is closed from the alley by a six-foot concrete block wall...There is a small sign at the parking entrance that says "This property is protected by video surveillance"...but I couldn't tell you where those cameras are located, if at all...and this is an area where I wouldn't feel completely secure leaving my car for a long stretch of time.  As perhaps you can tell, I am not really enamored of this location.  Were it me, I would pay more for a Park 'n' cruise deal at the Maya Doubletree, for example...

15 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

And where would you stay if the Maya was booked solid? Which is the original question.

The Residence Inn, Courtyard Downtown, Best Western Plus Convention Center and budget allowing, Hilton, Westin, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric (Pike) and Renaissance.

No way I'd stay at the Holiday Inn "Downtown" (not in downtown) or Hotel Current if I was planning days before or after the cruise.

Completely agree with Scott...

That's the basic list.  Those are the hotels in the nice, tourist-friendly area of Long Beach.  Puts you near lots of restaurant choices including both top local restaurants and major chains.  Near tourist attractions and tourist-friendly shopping.  Gives you access to everything within walking distance or by use of the free Passport shuttle.  The area is nice, the neighborhood is attractive and fairly safe.  If the "park and cruise" aspect is essential, I'd call each hotel directly and ask if they have such an option.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

No way I'd stay at the Holiday Inn "Downtown" (not in downtown) or Hotel Current if I was planning days before or after the cruise.

For my own back-up information...if you weren't planning days before and after and were just looking to park your car while you were gone...Hotel Current? Good option or not? 

I know when we drove by it last it was right on the edge between the rough parts and the nice parts. 

8 hours ago, mkcurran said:

For my own back-up information...if you weren't planning days before and after and were just looking to park your car while you were gone...Hotel Current? Good option or not? 

I know when we drove by it last it was right on the edge between the rough parts and the nice parts. 

There's nothing particularly bad about the neighborhood the Hotel Current is in...It's just that it's not really convenient to the things most people want to see and do in Long Beach...especially if they are there for a cruise.  It would be a good place to stay, say, if you had a kid attending Cal State Long Beach and you were there to visit your kid.

But, Long Beach is actually a VERY LARGE city--population over half a million...and spread out over a large area.  There are good parts and there are some very bad parts...Trust me, the area near the Hotel Current are NOT the bad parts I would take this ANY DAY over that Best Western on Atlantic and Anaheim.  AND, if you are doing the park and drive thing, you can stay there and jump in your car and drive to a restaurant either in Downtown or in the Belmont Shores/Naples area--close to the Current...or to the tourist attractions like the Aquarium or the Queen Mary.  You just have to understand that those Downtown attractions and restaurants are just NOT very close.  AND, that free hotel shuttle ride to the port is a very long shuttle ride...and so is the ride back to get your car...and you may be waiting awhile for that hotel shuttle...It's not like they are making continuous short loops to the pier and back.

The hotel itself gets generally positive reviews (I can't tell you first hand as I've never stayed there)...but these are dotted by the occasional bad review--usually pointing out that the walls are thin and rooms can be noisy...or that the hotel, despite some renovation work, is still a bit dated...and there are some complaints about that cruise ship shuttle--some people giving up and calling a taxi for the return to the hotel.

Personally, I still like my "A List" hotels...First class properties close to the port, close to restaurants, close to attractions...but, everyone is looking for something different when it comes to hotels.I tend to value location and convenience...and really value getting a first class hotel experience...I, like most, like to get a "good deal"...but I won't sacrifice my vacation experience just to save a few dollars.  I usually go to my embarkation port at least a day if not more prior to my cruise and I prefer to feel like I am "on vacation" as soon as I arrive...eliminate stress and enjoy the experience.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:56 AM, mkcurran said:

Yes, the Hotel Current is nice enough and the area is safe, unlike the Holiday Inn, but the area is bland with nothing near it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 10:29 AM, scottca075 said:

The Residence Innďťż, Courtyard Downtown, Best Western Plus Convention Center and budget allowing, Hilton, Westin, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric (Pike) and Renaissance.

Hi, Is the address for the Residence Inn the one on 600 Queensway Dr, Long Beach, CA 90802? There's another less expensive one further away from what looks like the port, but I'm traveling with two children and want to make sure we're in the tourist area. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Iggipolka said:

Hi, Is the address for the Residence Inn the one on 600 Queensway Dr, Long Beach, CA 90802? There's another less expensive one further away from what looks like the port, but I'm traveling with two children and want to make sure we're in the tourist area. Thanks!

Yes, the one on Queensway is just up the street from the Maya Doubletree, the Queen Mary and the Carnival Terminal'''and a cross the bridge from the main touristy area of Downtown Long Beach (Restaurants, Aquarium, shopping, etc.).  From there, you can walk over to the Maya and pick up the free Passport Shuttle out in front of the Maya to go over the bridge into Downtown Long Beach.

That other Residence Inn is clear up near LGB Airport, several miles from this area...