Packing: There MUST be a better way!

SoberJulie

Here’s how I begin:

-Haul the suitcases up from the storage room, open them up on the spare bed. 

-Empty my closet and drawers of every piece of summer clothing and shoes I own, throw it on the spare bed. 

-Buy all kinds of new clothes and shoes. Throw them on the spare bed. 

-Borrow some clothes from adult daughters. Add to the pile. 

Start subtracting. 

Because my airline only allows 50lbs of checked luggage each, a 10lb carry on and a personal item (I have a purse you could fit a toddler in)

~sigh~

I’m not sure I’m able to learn how to pack light! 😂🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

• Haha 1

Packing for any vacation would be the same as packing for a cruise in our experience.  How would you pack for any other vacation?  And with most airlines the 50 lb. limit is to avoid additional luggage fees and is not a restriction.  Overweight luggage is permitted but at an extra fee. Just plan each day carefully and only bring that which is needed to provide a change in day and evening wear for each day.  And remember if needed you can have clothes laundered on board.  It really is not that difficult IMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

What I do is mentally dress myself.  As I "dress" I add that time to the bed/bag, in a quantity determined by mentally figuring what I will need and whether I will be doing any laundry (including washing/rinsing in the sink).

Even though I am male, I still try to do things that mix and match.  So 2 pairs of long pants, one short, and shirts that go with any.

Remember, except for your traveling companions, 99% of the folks that will see you on the ship will never see you again.  Unless you made it on a U-Tube Cruise Fails video

Edited by Philob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Heck, most will not see you the next day, or if they do, remember you well enough to recall what you were wearing.

Again, unless you do something to end up on a fails video, or are wearing something that REALLY gets their attention. 😄

• Like 2

I find that I can wear a pair of shorts to breakfast numerous times....after breakfast, I'm in my bathing suit most of the day....the shorts only get worn for an hour or so!

I don't even try to "pack light"...I take what I want and need....I like having options!  The few times I did "pack light", I wish I'd had other choices.

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2018 at 5:15 PM, SoberJulie said:

Here’s how I begin:

-Empty my closet and drawers of every piece of summer clothing and shoes I own, throw it on the spare bed. 

Start subtracting. 

Because my airline only allows 50lbs of checked luggage each, a 10lb carry on and a personal item (I have a purse you could fit a toddler in)

~sigh~

You sound like my sister.  She brought a HUGE suitcase with maybe 10 changes of clothes.  She wore the same pair of shorts all week long. LOL.  

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, angie7911922 said:

Pack your suitcase as you normally would for any vacation. Then reopen the suitcase and take 1/2 of the clothes, shoes, makeup, etc out. You will only need 1/2 of what you pack - just like on any other vacation!! 🙂

I agree that most of us take twice the stuff we need but unless you're going to take out 1/2 the stuff and then use a smaller suitcase there isn't much point in taking out 1/2 the stuff....

I pack according to the size of the luggage I'm taking.

We have never been good at packing light, which is partially because we often take longer trips (measured in weeks or even months).  After struggling with airline fees, 50 pound limits, etc. we found the perfect solution.  Fly Business Class :).  A great alternative is to fly on Southwest (2 free pieces of luggage per person).  But if we are simply going to the Caribbean it is not that difficult to stay within one 50 pound bag per person.  The problem is when traveling on trips that will have many different climates such as a cruise from Singapore to Alaska.

Hank 

14 hours ago, angie7911922 said:

Pack your suitcase as you normally would for any vacation. Then reopen the suitcase and take 1/2 of the clothes, shoes, makeup, etc out. You will only need 1/2 of what you pack - just like on any other vacation!! 🙂

Pretty hard to pack 1/2 a bottle of mascara or 1/2 a container of deodorant 😉.  I pack 2-3 pairs of shoes (wearing my heaviest) and use all of them.  I suppose I can start packing 1/2 the clothes and either really stink up the gym by wearing the same workout clothes multiple times or do a lot of hand washing (don't want the ship's laundry/hot water).

I pack what I need, and add in some "nice to haves" if they fit.  I don't worry about packing light, but rather packing what will fit in cases we can manage.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:43 PM, Hlitner said:

We have never been good at packing light, which is partially because we often take longer trips (measured in weeks or even months).  After struggling with airline fees, 50 pound limits, etc. we found the perfect solution.  Fly Business Class :).  A great alternative is to fly on Southwest (2 free pieces of luggage per person).  But if we are simply going to the Caribbean it is not that difficult to stay within one 50 pound bag per person.  The problem is when traveling on trips that will have many different climates such as a cruise from Singapore to Alaska.

Hank 

If you travel enough, stay on one alliance and become a higher level frequent flier with them.

I get at least 2 free bags on all major carriers.

6 hours ago, SRF said:

If you travel enough, stay on one alliance and become a higher level frequent flier with them.

I get at least 2 free bags on all major carriers.

True, but now that we are retired our travel is limited to all fun stuff.  Most frequent flyers with any kind of decent status are folks who do a lot of business travel.  Since most of our trips are multiple weeks or even months, we keep our flying to a minimum.  Our own solution is to utilize Southwest (our favorite domestic airline) whenever possible.  For our International flights we generally fly Business Class (love lay flat seats) where luggage is not an issue.  We also have two high-end credit cards that reimburse us for some airline charges and this covers much of our luggage fees the few times that we must fly domestic economy on airlines other then Southwest.   Because of our travel schedule which takes us all over the world, we have not found any advantage to being "loyal" to one particular airline or even airline group.   We have our favorite International airlines, based on the quality of their Business Class, airport lounges,, etc.  

One development in the airline industry causes lots of misery for travelers.  As the airlines continue to improve Business/First Class with comfy lay flat seats, decent cuisine, good booze, etc.... they also continue to constantly downgrade the comfort and service in Economy.  It appears to be part of a deliberate conspiracy and business plan to make economy so awful that folks will readily part with more money for various upgrades and enhancements.  My personal opinion is that the economy situation on some aircraft are a real danger to one's health.  Being crammed into a tuna-can like seat increases the risk of DVT...which can be deadly.  The high level of discomfort also causes tempers to flare which leads to more and more passenger-related problems on planes.   And then there is the issue of obese passengers who cannot possibly fit into most economy seats.  They simply spill over to the adjacent seats which is completely unfair to their neighbors.  The airlines have finally reacted to animal related issues (by imposing restrictions on so-called comfort animals) but continue to treat humans worse then most farm animals :(.  Consider that many folks boycott veal because  they are opposed to the way animals are caged to improve the product.  But those same folks do not boycott airlines when they cage passengers in seat configurations that are not much better then those poor little calves.

Hank

There is a better way, and it doesn't have to be about packing light, unless you want to, but it is about packing smart: Choose clothes that can mix and match together, rather than specific outfits that can only be worn in one combination; do the same for shoes, which are the heaviest.  In fact, limit yourself to 2 or 3 pair (one of which you'll wear), unless you're willing to pay for them (I know a man who took an extra suitcase with just shoes - 17 pairs - and he was happy to pay for the extra baggage.)   Another thing to consider is to know yourself: if you have a favourite pair of jeans you wear all the time, don't take as many bottoms, because you know you'll wear that pair of jeans most of the time.  If you live in bathing suits and cover ups all day around the pool, don't bother taking a lot of other daytime clothes like shorts and t-shirts.  If you spill food and drink on yourself frequently (like I do), take a lot of extra tops 😉

The general rule of thumb in packing for vacations is to lay out everything you're planning on taking, and then take half the clothes and twice the money.

• Like 2

I make a list of the days I will be traveling and then check the forecast for those days. Then I do one pair of pants for every so many days (usually end up with one pair), a pair of shorts one for every so many days (usually two pairs) and a dress or two. Shirts - one for each day I wear shorts or pants. One light jacket. A pair of underwear for every night and socks for the days I think I will wear shoes that need them (so one pair of shoes) and a pair of sandals. I keep it super light.  I mix and match clothes too to keep the number of items down. And a pair of pajamas sometimes two. Two to three bras. I also remember that there is a good chance I will do one load of laundry on trip (like our last 10 day trip I did just because I could and it was nice to take mostly clean clothes home). However, some trips I know I will do at least one load of laundry so I only bring enough for half the amount of days we will be on trip. I don't pack a swimsuit but if I did, it would be two. This all fits in a small roller bag that I was able to either carryon or check.   

• Like 1

On 12/25/2018 at 10:48 AM, Hlitner said:

True, but now that we are retired our travel is limited to all fun stuff.  Most frequent flyers with any kind of decent status are folks who do a lot of business travel.  Since most of our trips are multiple weeks or even months, we keep our flying to a minimum.  Our own solution is to utilize Southwest (our favorite domestic airline) whenever possible.  For our International flights we generally fly Business Class (love lay flat seats) where luggage is not an issue.  We also have two high-end credit cards that reimburse us for some airline charges and this covers much of our luggage fees the few times that we must fly domestic economy on airlines other then Southwest.   Because of our travel schedule which takes us all over the world, we have not found any advantage to being "loyal" to one particular airline or even airline group.   We have our favorite International airlines, based on the quality of their Business Class, airport lounges,, etc.  

One development in the airline industry causes lots of misery for travelers.  As the airlines continue to improve Business/First Class with comfy lay flat seats, decent cuisine, good booze, etc.... they also continue to constantly downgrade the comfort and service in Economy.  It appears to be part of a deliberate conspiracy and business plan to make economy so awful that folks will readily part with more money for various upgrades and enhancements.  My personal opinion is that the economy situation on some aircraft are a real danger to one's health.  Being crammed into a tuna-can like seat increases the risk of DVT...which can be deadly.  The high level of discomfort also causes tempers to flare which leads to more and more passenger-related problems on planes.   And then there is the issue of obese passengers who cannot possibly fit into most economy seats.  They simply spill over to the adjacent seats which is completely unfair to their neighbors.  The airlines have finally reacted to animal related issues (by imposing restrictions on so-called comfort animals) but continue to treat humans worse then most farm animals :(.  Consider that many folks boycott veal because  they are opposed to the way animals are caged to improve the product.  But those same folks do not boycott airlines when they cage passengers in seat configurations that are not much better then those poor little calves.

Hank

No one way that works for everyone.  It depends on your travel and style.

But I am not a fan of SW.  I find their prices to be higher than one of the other major carriers, even with bag fees.    There is a reason that SW does not allow their fares to be on any of the fare comparison sites. 😄

We used to do weekend in Nashville to get away from our business.  Nice town, plus a good friend lived there.  On the way to BWI airport was a big billboard for SW, Nashville for $79.95.   Each way.  And at the time, SW advertised airfare, not including fees and taxes (it literally took an Act of Congress, a law, to stop them from doing this).  So $160 round trip air fare.  Plus taxes and fees, so $240 or so.  We would be booked on Delta, upgraded to 1st class, for a round trip fare of $135 each.   Yeap, SW was low cost. 😄

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, SoberJulie said:

Here’s how I begin:

Start subtracting. 

~sigh~

Not sure if your on the cruise or not. I understand overpacking. I found what works best for me is packing cubes. I am a fan of the Eagle Creek Brand simply because they hold up to a lot of abuse. They guarantee them for life. 

I use one of the small rectangular packs for socks and underpants. A second for bras.

next is a water proof one for my bathing suite. I usually take 2. and also 1 cover up

The next one is a medium cube that I roll all of my tops in. I have daytime tops and evening tops.

The last one is for my shorts and capris. I pack my pants 2 pair (1 dress and 1 lounge)

3 pair of shoes and a cheap throwaway flip flop for the pool.

I always try my cloths on and make a set before packing and pick a color scheme. That helps reduce what you pack. I also will pack items that I may leave behind so I have room for items I will want to bring home. Pack your favorite items only.

Eons ago, someone told me that the best way to pack is to

1. pack your stuff

2. drag it outside

3. walk a block

If you're okay after a block, you've taken the right amount of stuff. If you're uncomfortable, you've got too much stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1