What if my scooter doesn't fit? Allure of the seas.

VgsBby

1 hour ago, cruisinagain1960 said:

Agreed, and I would never park somewhere that could impeded anyone from evacuating the ship in the event of an emergency.  So I would NEVER park in a hallway, etc.  

My post was based on what I've personally experienced.  Everything is subject to change at any time : ))

One of my early cruises was in a room where a poorly folding walker wouldn’t stay folded.  We found the best place for it was unfortunately in the room hallway against the door.  I hated it!  We replaced the walker ASAP to a truly folding one.  Now with the folding scooter we can put it where exits are clear too.  I try to be sure it’s headed out just in case.  —— too many fire classes when I was in elementary school I guess! 

1 hour ago, cruisinagain1960 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with your observation about the percentage of rooms.  I can't tell you how many times, we've decided not to cruise a particular ship or itinerary simply because there were no handicapped accessible cabins available.  I understand that the more cabins they can cram on the ship, the more money they can make, but at the very least put some wider cabin doors on some of these larger cabins.  We don't have to have a handicapped accessible bathroom (it's nice to have to the extra grab bars, hand holds and larger shower), but we do need the wider door to at least get the scooters in the room...

We travelled on a ship just after there had been more cramming.  It was close to home and so we did a last minute cruise.  I swear the door nearly hit the end of the bed.  There was a desk chair but if someone was sitting in it you couldn’t open the bathroom door!  I don’t remember where we put the walker but I’m sure it was in the way.  Can’t imagine the scooter fitting! 

One early cruise they actually took your scooter away and charged/stored it overnight. I am not sure why they can’t do that on more ships.

the big issue is room to swing into cabins with some of the narrow hallways.

I must say I also appreciate ships that have automatic doors on accessible cabins.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

One early cruise they actually took your scooter away and charged/stored it overnight. I am not sure why they can’t do that on more ships.

the big issue is room to swing into cabins with some of the narrow hallways.

I must say I also appreciate ships that have automatic doors on accessible cabins.

Now if we could just stop the crew from putting carts in the extra space in front of those self opening doors!    My scooter is relatively short and definitely narrowband I fine the halls normally too narrow!