C-pap /tsa

Bases5

I've never had a had problem on domestic flights; just put the CPAP case on the belt and it sailed through the scanner. Also, never had a problem taking it on-board as an additional carry-on.

On international flights I contacted the airlines before traveling and they noted my flight record. No problem on the outbound legs, and in most instances had no problem at foreign airports (and the issues I encountered were minor).

Unless you have Pre Check, they will ask you to take the c-pap out of the carry on bag and place it in a bin.   Send the c-pap and the bag through the scanner.   Other than that, no problem with it.  I've traveled domestically and internationally with it and have never encountered a problem.

The rules are that the CPAP is removed from you luggage, placed in it's own bin and assuming you have a carry case for it, open the case, so they can see it. 

Although it might be fine, just leaving it in your bags, but if you try, it will only delay yourself, and others getting through the line. 

If you have pre-check, than most likely you won't have to do this.

Although the OP did not ask, using the CPAP in flight is problematic - at least on DL.  It is not to be plugged into the plane's electrical system.  One must use battery power.  Seems nuts to me because this mode requires a powerful and expensive lithium power pack.  Yes, the same type of battery which has been the cause of fires and explosions.

My CPAP"s specs explicitly notes it is compatible with a plane's 400 Hz power.  Go figure!

Even though I've researched this in depth, I'd be happy if someone corrects any misinterpretation of DL's requirements.

2 hours ago, Saildude16 said:

Although the OP did not ask, using the CPAP in flight is problematic - at least on DL.  It is not to be plugged into the plane's electrical system.  One must use battery power.  Seems nuts to me because this mode requires a powerful and expensive lithium power pack.  Yes, the same type of battery which has been the cause of fires and explosions.

My CPAP"s specs explicitly notes it is compatible with a plane's 400 Hz power.  Go figure!

Even though I've researched this in depth, I'd be happy if someone corrects any misinterpretation of DL's requirements.

Several points:

1) The issue with lithium batteries is that if they are in the cargo hold, there is no effective way to fight a fire in that area.  Although a fire in the passenger compartment is still bad, at least it can be fought and extinguished by crew.  Big difference.

2) Even though the CPAP may be spec'ed to meet an airline's onboard power requirement, it is still the airline's option as to what it will and will not allow to be operated during flight (albeit within governmental regulations first).  Sorry, but airline policy overrides your machine specs.

3) Nope - DL says no use with the onboard A/C outlets.  That means....no use.  How can a clear prohibition be misinterpreted, unless one is trying to find a way around a black letter rule.

FlyTalker - Going to your point 3, I was simply opening the door for someone better informed than I to point out that either (1) I had made a mistake or that (2) I had missed something.

No need to insinuate anything else.

Finally, the CPAP provider informed me that different airlines have different policies.  So if they were correct, there is inconsistency. 

Finally, the CPAP provider informed me that different airlines have different policies.  So if they were correct, there is inconsistency. 

The consistency is that every airline gets to set its own rules, within the parameters of government regulation.  See my second point where I spell that out.

31 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

The consistency is that every airline gets to set its own rules, within the parameters of government regulation.  See my second point where I spell that out.

And don't forget that different airlines may be subject to different set of regulations, depending on who is the regulator for each airline. So the morals of the story are really:-

1. Don't expect consistency and you won't be disappointed.
  2. Ask your airline.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, Saildude16 said:

FlyTalker - Going to your point 3, I was simply opening the door for someone better informed than I to point out that either (1) I had made a mistake or that (2) I had missed something.

No need to insinuate anything else.

When a 777 is made, it is an empty shell.  If Delta is buying it, or American Airlines is buying it, they order the interior to their specs.  Not all interiors are the same.  Therefore, there is no inconsistency.  The power system in an airline is not the same as on land.  It can only handle so much, and is designed to power batteries, phones and laptops, but not items with a large amperage. 

On a side note, my wife sleeps fine, in a slightly reclined position on overnight flights without her CPAP. 

I understand why the CPAP usage policy would be inconsistent. I know there are some airlines that allow you to use a CPAP machine with a battery in flight.

Are there actually any airlines that allow one to us a CPAP in flight why plugged into the AC outlet? I would not think that there are any.

21 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Are there actually any airlines that allow one to us a CPAP in flight why plugged into the AC outlet?

I believe that the rationale for one airline's policy is that the AC power supply cannot be guaranteed. If you need a CPAP, it can only run on AC power, and the AC power fails in-flight, you could in theory have a problem. If the airline permitted you to use a CPAP that had to powered by AC, then the airline could have a problem too. The latter part is solved by not permitting a CPAP that depends on AC power.

11 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I believe that the rationale for one airline's policy is that the AC power supply cannot be guaranteed. If you need a CPAP, it can only run on AC power, and the AC power fails in-flight, you could in theory have a problem. If the airline permitted you to use a CPAP that had to powered by AC, then the airline could have a problem too. The latter part is solved by not permitting a CPAP that depends on AC power.

Very logical explanation that makes sense to me.  I doubt whether any airline would allow the use of the AC powered CPAP and this seems like a good reason.  I never could previously understand why.  

Thanks

Edited by jagoffee

• 1 month later...

OP here

Thanks for the read.  Interesting. 

I'm was not plaining on using a c-pap on the plane I just didn't want to check it.

Would any one know if a c-pap is an carry on or a personal item?

AA if that matters

On 1/1/2019 at 10:50 AM, Bases5 said:

OP here

I'm was not plaining on using a c-pap on the plane I just didn't want to check it.

Would any one know if a c-pap is an carry on or a personal item?

I have flown domestically and internationally on multiple airlines, taking my CPAP on-board with me. It was never counted as a carry-on nor as a personal item. On international flights, just to be safe, when I make the reservations I ask that they note my record. No gate agent has ever even questioned me about it.