Is 10-day cruise too long for 12-year-old's first cruise?

Skygazer

Hi, I'm considering booking a cruise for next June out of NYC on the Carnival Sunrise. I have cruised once back in 2011 on the Carnival Victory (had a great time!) but this will be my son's first cruise. He has been asking to go on one after watching cruise videos.

This cruise seems like a great value and has a nice mix of ports plus several sea days for relaxation. Plus my son will get to explore NYC a bit before the cruise.

My only concern is that he may get bored or restless being on a ship for this long of a cruise. Being an only child, he's definitely capable of entertaining himself, and he has no problem making new friends.

What are your thoughts? Will this be okay or should I consider a shorter cruise of 7-8 days?

TIA

Only you truly know your son and how he deals with being away from home. That is about the age that we started cruising with our two kids and it was fantastic. My daughter would lose her voice because she was having so much fun and talking with her new friends. My son (who is two years older) is more reserved, but still loved/loves cruising.

Honestly, I don't think age has anything to do with it, but really the person himself.  I'm sure there are adults out there who would be bored on a one-week cruise, and there are plenty of children who would not be bored on a two-plus-week cruise!  For us, our two oldest daughters' first cruise (when they were 8 and 5) was an 11-night Southern Caribbean sailing that had only one port day, and so we were always off the ship and doing stuff.  They never got bored and actually, at our last port, asked to stay onboard so they could just relax in the kids club and not have to be on another beach, haha.  I've not sailed Carnival but know they should have plenty to keep children occupied.  It's also a June sailing so should be plenty of families, but possibly not as many as a week-long sailing.  Our youngest child is now 8 and she will be going on her first cruise next month and it's a 12-nighter.  I"m sure she will have just as much fun - if not more - as her older sisters had on their first cruise.  Have a fantastic time, whatever you choose!

Linda

• Like 1

My daughter's first cruise was 14 nights at 8 months old. I don't think age has much to do with it. I doubt he will be bored on the ship - in fact my daughter, now 12, would rather stay onboard at the ports (she has now been on 6 cruises). She loves the activities, swimming & kids club. After the first day, she has made friends & enjoys every second. I think he will have a blast!!

I would give consideration to whether or not your son enjoys meeting and spending time with new people - if he is introverted or shy, he may not like the idea of jumping in with a group of new people and doing activities.  And it's fine if he stays with you and the two of you do all your activities together, but will he feel awkward if it seems like "all the other kids" are running around doing fun things?  Also think about how much independence you will feel comfortable giving him.  Will you be OK with him going around the ship on his own, going to the arcade, to get ice cream, etc?  Will he even WANT to be independent and how will you deal with lots of togetherness?   And......one last devil's advocate thing I can think of to bring up...........is seasickness a concern at all?  My family has zero issues with it, but we know plenty of people who do and would be miserable on a cruise of any length.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it!  My kids always enjoyed cruising growing up, Alaska was their favorite cruise of all!