Best cruise around Iceland

PMJ

We would like to combine a trip to see family in Ireland with a cruise around Iceland.  We are considering just Iceland or other Northern European countries, as well.  I know Windstar has a cruise round Iceland, but I read some rather discouraging reviews of the ship, and particularly the cabin that was offered to us.  I see Viking has a Norway-Iceland cruise, but I have no experience with them.  We would appreciate any advice.

thank you,

PMJ

• 1 month later...

It is harder to get a feel for Iceland and it's amazing scenery and people on a cruise.  Besides Reykjavik, and to an extent Akureyri, the "ports" are tiny hamlets of 300 people or less, with extremely limited excursion options (usually none beyond what the ship offers), and a long drive to most sites.  

If you just want a small sampling of Iceland, I'd pick the cruise itinerary that also goes to whichever other countries you are interested in.  If you want to primarily see Iceland, there are circumnavigation cruises, but you will trade really seeing the country and limiting where you can go for the convenience of keeping your stateroom.

If you really want to see Iceland, I'd suggest planning a stopover for a land tour.  IcelandAir lets you stop and spend up to 7 days on one leg of the journey.  Iceland is easy to navigate on your own, and there is the option of multi-day tours if you want someone else to do the planning. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We do a 14 night cruise around Iceland and Norway in July this year with the Sapphire Princess - I had been looking at cruises around Iceland for some time and this looked good itinerary to me and I like Princess.