What is the one valuable lesson you learned on your first cruise 🚢

Mommawo

I learned to look at the maps by the elevators. Easier not to get turned around that way. I also learned if you go up one flight of stairs from the aft dining room on the Splendor it's a short walk down a hallway to get to the much less crowded mid elevator bank.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2018 at 4:01 PM, Bookster99 said:

Make sure your ship is in port. On a cruise last year, the fog prevented our ship from docking for hours.

I know someone who was on this cruise, something about "midnight muster drill"? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jmcathome said:

Do not turn your booze in bought on shore. They lost three bottles. 

Yes they do check bags. You  send thru the scanner always. If you rally try you can slip them on. I turned it in and they delivered it to the wrong roo. Took about 6 months to get reimbursed

Scored someone else right there lol. That has to be super frustrating.  Ugh I would be a bit upset also

Check you balance a few time during the cruise.  We had some first time cruisers with us a few years ago. They just kept buying things in the stores (including jewelry, candy) and drinks.   I think they were a little amazed that their balance was close to $1000.00 at the end of the trip.  Because you don't use cash, it is just easy to put it on your account.

Also, if you have black luggage, just know so does 80% of the other people on the ship.  When you get off the ship and have to collect yours, you will be given a zone to pick it up.  It is much easier to locate your luggage if a bright ribbon is tied on the handles.  All the luggage in your party should use the same ribbon. The stranger the ribbon, the easier to locate.  Lots of people use red ribbon.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, sailingwithfriends said:

Check you balance a few time during the cruise.  We had some first time cruisers with us a few years ago. They just kept buying things in the stores (including jewelry, candy) and drinks.   I think they were a little amazed that their balance was close to $1000.00 at the end of the trip.  Because you don't use cash, it is just easy to put it on your account.

Also, if you have black luggage, just know so does 80% of the other people on the ship.  When you get off the ship and have to collect yours, you will be given a zone to pick it up.  It is much easier to locate your luggage if a bright ribbon is tied on the handles.  All the luggage in your party should use the same ribbon. The stranger the ribbon, the easier to locate.  Lots of people use red ribbon.

I used some fabric paint and painted a smiley face and palm tree on our luggage for easier identification.  I put a huge neon pink yarn ball on the handle and you can see that pink in a sea of luggage as you come down the escalators.

• Haha 1

I saw this on another post last year, and it worked so well for us - the night before, fill out your room service tag for coffee, pastries/bagel/muffins and fruit to be delivered bright and early the next morning!  We enjoyed a nice hot cup on our balconey before our full breakfast for the price of a small tip.......

• Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 6:27 PM, sailingwithfriends said:

Great advice mine is definitely different than others and it all coordinates lol I know I know it’s my thing 

On 1/26/2019 at 1:03 PM, Wombservice said:

I saw this on another post last year, and it worked so well for us - the night before, fill out your room service tag for coffee, pastries/bagel/muffins and fruit to be delivered bright and early the next morning!  We enjoyed a nice hot cup on our balconey before our full breakfast for the price of a small tip.......

Do you pick a time. For it to be delivered?

On 1/25/2019 at 6:56 PM, tandemcruzr said:

We packed way too much for our 4 day cruise. We are now at 42 and have learned how to pack.  🙂

No matter how ling we go anywhere I over pack.  I never regret over packing lol. I like options 

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, MommytoAsquared said:

And along with this - The busiest the buffet will ever be is embarkation day lunch.

We make sure to have a decent breakfast before heading out to the port, Then we are not starving when we get on board. We don't usually hit the buffet until the lines die down a bit

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mommawo said:

No matter how ling we go anywhere I over pack.  I never regret over packing lol. I like options 

Same here, we always bring extra clothes and such just in case, I'd rather have too much than not enough. 

• Like 2

Just because you CAN eat three servings of escargot during one meal, doesn't mean you SHOULD eat three servings of escargot. And that's all I'm saying about that...🤢

Never just assume your spouse got the credit cards/cash out of the safe to take ashore on a port day, because your spouse might have assumed YOU got them out of the safe. 🤦‍♀️ 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Just because you CAN eat three servings of escargot during one meal, doesn't mean you SHOULD eat three servings of escargot. And that's all I'm saying about that...🤢

Never just assume your spouse got the credit cards/cash out of the safe to take ashore on a port day, because your spouse might have assumed YOU got them out of the safe. 🤦‍♀️ 

No way I’m eating 3 servings of that lol 🤮 and oh nooo that doesn’t sound good to leave the cards behind 

It wasn't my first cruise but it was my first time cruising the Med.  Do not ever decide to go on the Atkins diet while taking pain pills from a ruptured disk and then sit on a plane for 15 hours flying to Barcelona and not drinking enough water.  I ended up having to go to some scary ER place to get an enema.  Even my husband was using hand sanitizer there and he usually makes fun of me for using it.  On the bright side, I think I lost a few pounds.  Probably the only cruise I ever took where I weighed the same at the beginning and the end of the cruise.  

• Like 2