Britannia Barbados cruise and flight

rachiem

Hi, I am looking at booking a Jan 2020 cruise departing barbados.

It is cheaper by £400 to have the overnight stay at the end but I'm worried that if the flight is delayed I may miss the ship sailing?

Does anyone know how much time is left between landing and leaving port.

Should I pay the extra £400 for peace of mind and land the day before and stay overnight onboard?

Many thanks

5 minutes ago, rachiem said:

Hi, I am looking at booking a Jan 2020 cruise departing barbados.

It is cheaper by £400 to have the overnight stay at the end but I'm worried that if the flight is delayed I may miss the ship sailing?

Does anyone know how much time is left between landing and leaving port.

Should I pay the extra £400 for peace of mind and land the day before and stay overnight onboard?

Many thanks

If you are flying on a P&O charter then you don't need too worry, the ship will wait for you.

If I’m understanding your question, you are considering a package, with flights and cruise provided by P&O?  In that case you have no need to worry.

Our flight was delayed 7 hours earlier this year.  We arrived in Barbados at a crazy time - after midnight I think. Airport, transport to the ship, embarkation, welcome, muster, catering was all wonderful... and we were refunded €600 each by Thomson.  I probably wouldn’t chose sitting in an airport all that time - but it helped

Thank you so much for your quick replies. 

That’s exactly what I wanted to know and hear. 

Murs, it will be the P&O package from the website. I looked through the FAQ’s and couldn’t see whether the ship would wait if you were delayed. 

Will go ahead and book. 

First time with P&O but they are way cheaper than their rivals. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, our first cruise in March of this year was in the Caribbean setting off from Barbados,we booked through Thomas cook.  We flew on the Dreamliner, after landing in Barbados we were shown onto a coach, drove out of the airport and straight to the port and boarded the Britannia 10 minutes later.  It was completely hassle free, we were amazed how well it all went

A couple of things about this topic.

Firstly our first flight in the Dreamliner and it was a good experience. The flight itself and the fact that TUI operating it ensured complimentary drinks service throughout. I will  travel to Birmingham from now on to fly TUI if that is an option rather than Manchester and TC.

Ten minutes to port from airport is going some! Our experience was nose to tail traffic the complete journey taking best part of an hour, that was after being kept on aircraft for 45 minutes due to lack of coaches having been caught in the heavy traffic just mentioned.

Going back to the Dreamliner. Seven hours that's all it took Barbados to Birmingham. Not bad at all.

For those who arrive in Barbados from Canada for the P&O sailings, by booking the first day in port you give yourself one day's grace should you be negatively affected by weather. Should you not arrive for the first day but can reach the ship for the second you do not miss your cruise.  But even with this , as Canadians we book a hotel for an arrival one day earlier as  extra protection.