I’m so confused! Carnival Dream ( Lowest rate room + Ocean view)

Hoping4Remission

Hi there! I’m new to this board. We’ve  never went on a cruise before. The only type of cruise I’ve been on is a dinner cruise which I got sooo sick on but I read the big cruise boats are different and won’t make people as sick. My husband and I are thinking about taking our three 19 year olds on a cruise in Aug.  It would leave out of Galveston and would be a 5 day cruise to Mexico. I’ll be honest and say We will be booking the cheapest cruise that they have because I have Cancer and because of that our budget right now is really really really tight. We didn’t really think We could even go on a vacation anytime soon so We can’t be picky.

We thought We would have our three 19 year olds in one room and My husband and I in another room. If the budget allows We will upgrade mine and my husbands room to a ocean view. My question is on if it’s possible to get a free upgrade room to a balcony or is that unheard of? Also should We pick our own rooms or allow them to pick the rooms? Does the rooms have to be picked at the time of booking?  

I was looking at taking advantage of the Cycber Monday deal but because I’ve never been on a cruise and I’ve never priced them before I have no idea if this is actually a good deal. I just know IF this is going to be possible then We have to find the very best deal that We can find and save as much money as We can. 

Are are the lowest rate room or ocean view completely awful?  Do you have access to the same food etc even though the room rates are lower? Any hints or tips to save money on the cost or to get a free upgrade. One last question is a 5 day cruise plenty of time or does it feel more like 3 days because the first day is a wash and so is the last day?  Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I'm afraid the free upgrade to a balcony is a pipe dream.  I assume you are looking at Carnival Dream from Galveston?  Have you considered all of you in the same cabin?  Dream has Deluxe OV cabins that sleep five, with a split bath (two sinks and showers!).  Twin lowers, two upper bunks and sleeper sofa.  Category 6N.  I would pick my own room.  And since you are first timers, I would call Carnival to do it.  They can help you find the best arrangement and rate.  

Everyone has access to the same food.  There are two upsell restaurants on Dream, one is a steakhouse and the other a sushi restaurant.  There are so many other places to eat as well as the Main Dining Room (MDR) that you need never spend extra for food.  There will also be a place to gt specialty coffees at an extra charge.  Sodas cost extra but coffee, tea, lemonade and a fruity drink are available 24/7 free in the buffet area.  

Suggest you go to the Carnival board here, under Cruise Lines A-O and pick the brains of the Carnival regulars there.  EM

You have several options in addition to the 5 person cabin mentioned above.  Call Carnival for available cabins and pricing.  For total pricing remember to ask them to add the daily gratuities so you're not surprised at the end.  Currently tips are about 14.00 per person per day, or around 350. for a five day cruise.

You could book two connecting ocean views, there is a door between the two that you can open and close.

You can book an ocean view for two and an interior nearby for three.  Or two interiors.

The layout on the Dream has scads and scads of public deck areas.  A balcony isn't necessary to enjoy outdoor time.

If you either you or your husband is a moderate drinker and you think the Cheers package would benefit only one of you, book you in one cabin with 1 teen, and your husband in the other cabin with the other two.  That way only one of you will need to purchase Cheers and the other can pay by the drink.  You can move into whichever you like after boarding.  Get an extra key from Guest Services.

There is no difference in classes on the Dream.  Passengers in the least expensive cabin have full access to all public areas and to all included food venues.  Venues that charge extra are clearly marked and you can easily enjoy good food without ever spending extra.

Ask questions about different rates.  Early Saver is always the cheapest, but there are very strict limitations and penalties  for making any changes at all to your booking, such as cancelling entirely, changing dates, or cancelling one or more people.

And do move over to the Carnival board.  People ask questions you haven't even thought about yet.  Also check the Carnival Dream website for information specific to that ship.

Welcome to cruising!

Edited by bury me at sea

• 1 month later...

I would also getting cruise insurance. We live in Houston and it came in handy when Hurricane Harvey hit and we had to cancel our sailing the very next weekend since our house got 5 feet of water.