New York Hotel Central Location

Montana

Hi,

There are a lot of good hotels and a lot of different "central" locations.  I like to stay in the Times Square South area.  Walking to ESB, Times Square and Rockefeller Ctr.  Easy access to Subway to lower Manhattan.  I have stayed in several places in this area (usually choose by name brand and then price).  Many are converted factories or office buildings. View from our hotel last trip (not the best).

And one from the time before (a better view)

IMG_9776.JPG

IMG_9697.JPG

What exact date(s)?  Hotel budget? 2 people?  What airport are you flying into?  Bed size requirements?

The official port name is Cape Liberty so as not to get confused with Port Liberte.  It is located in Bayonne, NJ, so you will need car service transportation from Manhattan to Bayonne, NJ.

Midtown Manhattan can be considered central but best to identify some possibilities and evaluate on TripAdvisor.  But, remember you get what you pay for and NYC generally has higher priced hotels than you would guess.

For car service to the port many recommend Dial 7 and Carmel. 

Manhattan is a lot larger than a lot of folks realize so no hotel is "Central" to everything.  Subway/bus/uber/lift are the best ways to get around, so if you can score a good price on a nice hotel, book it. Look at a map and plan to stay closest to the sites in the city you want to see, and use local transport to other sites of interest.

Anyone stay at these 2......The Beekman in Lower Manhattan and Park Lane on Central Park South.....yes, I have read Trip Advisor but wondering about thoughts from anyone who knows these spots on here.  Thank you.:classic_biggrin:

9 hours ago, marco said:

Manhattan is a lot larger than a lot of folks realize so no hotel is "Central" to everything.  Subway/bus/uber/lift are the best ways to get around, so if you can score a good price on a nice hotel, book it. Look at a map and plan to stay closest to the sites in the city you want to see, and use local transport to other sites of interest.

This is good advice. I would add that the hotel property should be close to the subway station. 

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Anyone stay at these 2......The Beekman in Lower Manhattan and Park Lane on Central Park South.....yes, I have read Trip Advisor but wondering about thoughts from anyone who knows these spots on here.  Thank you.:classic_biggrin:

Hi Lois,  don't specifically have first hand experience with either, but would think the Central Park South address is better suited for more of what you may want to do.   2 weeks ago I had a very satisfactory stay at Omni Berkshire Place (E 52nd at Madison, just one block off Fifth Ave, and 2 blocks to Rockefeller Center, St. Patricks, Saks, MOMA, E & M Subway line).  Got very good deal with Priceline Express Deals.   But no view of Central Park.

Thanks for the reply..........I know your screen name but cannot remember your first name.  I think we sailed together a very, very, VERY long time ago........

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the reply..........I know your screen name but cannot remember your first name.  I think we sailed together a very, very, VERY long time ago........

Yes we did sail together a long time ago.  I'm guessing Zenith in Feb 06.    I've been off the boards for the last 10 years during a period when I was working for the cruise lines.   Retired now and leave on my first cruise since Feb 09 next week, so back on the boards.   Don't see you posting as much.   But I do know a fair amount about New York.   Feel free to contact me at  hmw608 at aol dot com.     Howard

Hi Howard!......I don't post nearly as much as years gone by........and I haven't sailed with Celebrity in a few years......my last few cruises were a River Cruise and 2 cruises with Silversea.   I am going on Azamara in April.

I booked a room at The Beekman (it was recommended) and it looks lovely:classic_biggrin:.