Any suggestions with pre-cruise hotel in Quebec City?

vette96gs1

Booking a 12 day cruise from Quebec City to New York and arriving there the day before.   Would appreciate anyone that could offer suggestions for a hotel to stay in for an overnight stay before the cruise.   Doesn't need to be fancy, just clean for a good nights sleep.   Didn't know if any had shuttles to the cruise port or best to just Uber it.  I know every detail of where to go and how to go for all our Caribbean cruises but this is the first time we have ever done a Canada/New England cruise.   Any advice would be helpful.   Thanks in advance.

Odds are very high that the ship will be berthed in the heart of the city, so downtown hotels which are good for pre-cruise touring are also good for getting to the ship quickly and easily. Many hotels you may be able to walk from if you can handle your bags. As already asked, budget is probably the biggest factor - if money is no object, the Fairmont is an iconic property in the upper city. If cash is tighter or you have points to burn, there are downtown branches of Marriott, Hilton, Best Western etc.

We've generally been in QC only on business for several years now so it's been the swankier end of things for us as already paid for, but when we lived within road-tripping distance we found the BW+ City Centre consistently offered a low price. The St Roch 'hood that it's in has some great restos & bars as well as being quite walkable to Upper and Lower historic areas when you aren't schlepping luggage (and not much over a mile from the port, so a cheap cab or Uber ride).

7 minutes ago, martincath said:

Odds are very high that the ship will be berthed in the heart of the city, so downtown hotels which are good for pre-cruise touring are also good for getting to the ship quickly and easily. Many hotels you may be able to walk from if you can handle your bags. As already asked, budget is probably the biggest factor - if money is no object, the Fairmont is an iconic property in the upper city. If cash is tighter or you have points to burn, there are downtown branches of Marriott, Hilton, Best Western etc.

We've generally been in QC only on business for several years now so it's been the swankier end of things for us as already paid for, but when we lived within road-tripping distance we found the BW+ City Centre consistently offered a low price. The St Roch 'hood that it's in has some great restos & bars as well as being quite walkable to Upper and Lower historic areas when you aren't schlepping luggage (and not much over a mile from the port, so a cheap cab or Uber ride).

Thank you for that.   Never have been here so wasn't sure how far the ship was from these hotels.  I know FLL real well but never here.

2 minutes ago, vette96gs1 said:

Thank you for that.   Never have been here so wasn't sure how far the ship was from these hotels.  I know FLL real well but never here.

Since you're obviously able to create and use an account here on CC, Google Maps (or Bing, or OpenStreetMap, or many others) should be even easier to use and will save you time (no need to wait for someone to respond on here) as well as improving the quality of your data (looking up exact locations and directions on a map removes the risk that I and other posters have fallible memories about where hotel X is in relation to the port/attraction Y/restaurant Z).

I find the only advantage to CC for questions about hotels is in comparison between multiple possible hotels you have already found using TripAdvisor/Expedia type ratings and pricing info and Google or other maps to confirm location: locals and cruise-focused visitors who have stayed in them can tell you tidbits of info about the hotel, surrounding neighbourhood etc. that might be impossible to pick up from general reviews and maps. Asking for folks on here to give you 'first cut' recommendations though is a losing proposition - you are severely restricting your potential information sources.

Much better to cast the widest possible net - TripAdvisor is a good bet - for initial research (e.g. the ACTUAL cost per room info on your dates!) then come back here with really specific questions like "between hotels X, Y, and Z which is best for 2 nights pre-cruise assuming we want to walk to sites including A, B, and C locations - are there dodgy neighbourhoods to worry about, or footpaths which locals know about but Google has not mapped yet?"

JMHO!

OK  how  about  when  does the cruise  depart?

hotel prices  vary   depending on the time of  year  as  I am sure  they do in FLL

You could check Trip advisor  for  B & B in the Lower Town  or  Fairmont  may have a special rate 

as suggested  the Post in right in the heart of the city 

you can check the location once the schedules are out

https://www.portquebec.ca/en/cruises/vessel-schedules/cruise-ships-schedule

2 hours ago, vette96gs1 said:

Booking a 12 day cruise from Quebec City to New York and arriving there the day before.   Would appreciate anyone that could offer suggestions for a hotel to stay in for an overnight stay before the cruise.   Doesn't need to be fancy, just clean for a good nights sleep.   Didn't know if any had shuttles to the cruise port or best to just Uber it.  I know every detail of where to go and how to go for all our Caribbean cruises but this is the first time we have ever done a Canada/New England cruise.   Any advice would be helpful.   Thanks in advance.

No hotels have shuttles, the season really isn't long enough.

There are several small boutique-style hotels within walking distance of the port (in order of distance):

Le Port-Royal

Le Germain Hotel

Hotel 71

Auberge Saint-Antoine

Hotel Le Priori

Auberge Saint-Pierre

If your ship departs from Wharf 30, you can add Hotel Le Saint-Paul into the mix - it faces Wharf 30, although it's a bit of a hike if you want to walk it, so you might want to get a taxi.

We have a pre cruise stay there also in May and were considering the Auberge Saint Antoine but now that I see the expense/difficulty of getting to Quebec City from the west coast (California) we're looking at the Hilton.

I’m not so sure I understand the difficulty of getting to Quebec from CA (Air Canada runs flights from LAX to YYZ to YQB) and I’ll leave the expense thing aside but why would it make any difference whether you stay at the Hilton instead of the Auberge Saint Antoine which is near the cruise port and well located in a very interesting part of the city?

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

We have a pre cruise stay there also in May and were considering the Auberge Saint Antoine but now that I see the expense/difficulty of getting to Quebec City from the west coast (California) we're looking at the Hilton.

So sorry I meant to say in October not May.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

I’m not so sure I understand the difficulty of getting to Quebec from CA (Air Canada runs flights from LAX to YYZ to YQB) and I’ll leave the expense thing aside but why would it make any difference whether you stay at the Hilton instead of the Auberge Saint Antoine which is near the cruise port and well located in a very interesting part of the city?

First time I've had the opportunity to need to get to YQB. At first I've been checking DL but hate using WestJet on the connection....AA not happy with multiple connections....Air Canada the routing is great the price for business class not so much...but I'm checking constantly to beat $1122.00pp (fingers crossed). Need one way flight my cruise is the Snowbird leaving from Quebec and ending in Fort Lauderdale. FLL to LAX no problem using companion ticket.

As far as the hotels the difference is pricing (duh) I can get the Hilton (honors member) much cheaper.

Sorry you can't understand any of this.

Edited by Ashland

Chateau de Pierre is on the park across from Frontenac. Excellent location, family run, have been staying there for 30 years.  There are so many small hotels in the Old City, unless you want modern and generic hotel experience, stay in the Old Town.  Lots of bistros, walkable etc.

On 11/30/2018 at 1:54 PM, Host Carolyn said:

Chateau de Pierre is on the park across from Frontenac. Excellent location, family run, have been staying there for 30 years.  There are so many small hotels in the Old City, unless you want modern and generic hotel experience, stay in the Old Town.  Lots of bistros, walkable etc.

Thank you for that information.

• 5 weeks later...

We took the Snowbird Migration tour on Adventure of the Seas this last October and loved every minute of our stay in Quebec - it was truly beautiful with the exterior of nearly every shop, restaurant, hotel and government building decked out with fall decorations. 

We stayed at Hotel 71 and highly recommend it. It was within a few blocks of many shops , restaurants and the funicular.  It was also a quick 3 block walk to the port on embarkation day.  We spoke with several people who stayed in the Marriott and they said traffic to the port from that side of town was very heavy and took longer than expected. 

Hotel 71 has a nice restaurant with a good European-type breakfast buffet and an automated serve yourself wine machine in the lobby. Our room was very spacious.

79874218-1CB1-4591-BA5B-F7569660840F.jpeg

8054AE45-BFCC-46EC-9A23-06BB55EAC270.jpeg

AD99ECFF-A733-4777-B877-933A111141EB.jpeg

6FB7AF89-AE62-4C3D-A725-C16E01BB7040.jpeg

3301C9B9-3BD7-486F-97DD-4DECAB2B0B15.jpeg

98997C49-7A5E-488B-8C3F-FE7F80A23C4B.jpeg

I just booked the Auberge Place d'Armes for my Oct pre-cruise. It had some great reviews...anyone have anything to add about this hotel would be much appreciated. I had the Hilton booked but will now cancel it.