The EDGE of Glory: a live 12/1 trip report

ohhbother

Hi everyone.

It's almost our turn! I'm Amy, 46, and my DH, Mark, 50, and I are flying from our home in Pawleys Island, SC, to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow morning on an 8:10 am flight. We're looking forward to a quiet day at the Embassy Suites - and then on Saturday morning we board the Edge! This three-day cruise was a fairly last-minute decision. We booked an IV cabin once we realized the dates aligned perfectly with our annual Christmas-season visit to Disney World (we're annual passholders and go several times a year). We're sailing the Edge for a seven-day cruise in April for our 24th wedding anniversary -- we booked an S1 corner aft in March '17 and have been counting down the days ever since. So this three-day cruise will be the "appetizer" before the main course in April.

Mark and I are seasoned cruisers, and Celebrity is our preferred line. We do cruise multiple lines, though, and actually just enjoyed a five-day Pacific coast cruise on the brand-new Norwegian Bliss in early October. So it will be a treat to contrast NCL's newest ship with Celebrity's new entrant to the market. The Bliss was an amazing ship -- definitely exceeded expectations. Hopefully, the Edge will as well.

I'll do my best to update this post throughout the cruise - I know lots of people are looking for every kernel of new information. We're planning to dine in Normandie, Tuscany and Eden, so we'll have dinner reviews from each. We'll also be taking in as many activities as we can.

Hopefully, we'll be able to share some insight and information that will help our fellow Edge enthusiasts!

Edited by ohhbother
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I boarding Edge on 3/24! Looking forward to your review. Please take pics of menus at the different bars if you can. It looks like the Martini Bar has different offerings from other ships. I have just seen quick teasers but not full menus. 

Edited by Sandy1975
  • Like 1

OP here. We’re on board our flight, about to depart chilly Myrtle Beach, SC,

for the much warmer Florida coast. We’re scheduled to land in Ft. Lauderdale around 10:55, and then we’re heading to the Embassy Suites. Not sure what we’re going to do to pass the time today - Google Maps tells me there’s a TJ Max nearby, so it may be a day for some laid-back Christmas shopping. Good thing we have extra room in the luggage!

I do have to say packing for this trip was a challenge. With forecasted highs in the 80s for the cruise but lows in the 40s when we’re back at Disney World, we had to bring everything from shorts to coats and sweatshirts!

I can’t believe we’re finally on our way!

ohhbother, thanks for starting this board, and Bon Voyage to you!  Enjoy your cruise and visit to Mickey's place, and we will look forward to your posts.  Our VTcruising has set the bar really high for all who follow and post their photos and information.  Don't be intimidated... we Edgies love all information!  Say 'Hi' to Mr. EDge for us, too!  I still think he needs a neckwear decoration.  Hint. Hint.  It IS the Holidays, you know.  :classic_wink:

Bon Voyage!  Enjoy your time on the Edge!

Edited by beachbunny6
  • Like 1

We’re safely tucked in our room at the Embassy Suites on 17th. Amazingly, our room was ready when we arrived around 10:30. From our balcony, we can see the beautiful Celebrity Silhouette, as well as Veendam and Serenade of the Seas. 

We’re pleased with the hotel thus far. Accommodations are nice - not luxurious, but nice. And the room comes with free hot breakfast in the morning and free drinks in the afternoon. All in all, a comfortable place to spend this pre-cruise night. We also have a room booked here before our April 7 cruise on the Edge. 

We did have one sour note thus far. We had an unscrupulous taxi driver who wanted us to pay $20 cash for the short drive from the airport. I insisted on using a credit card. Amazingly, the fare was only $12 when I did that. He did NOT get a tip. 

Now we’re just relaxing in the room since our day started with a 5 am wake up call for our early flight. We’ll walk to Panera soon to grab some lunch, and then we shop. I can see TJ Maxx from my balcony. 🙂

Edited by ohhbother

4 hours ago, ohhbother said:

We’re safely tucked in our room at the Embassy Suites on 17th. Amazingly, our room was ready when we arrived around 10:30. From our balcony, we can see the beautiful Celebrity Silhouette, as well as Veendam and Serenade of the Seas. 

We’re pleased with the hotel thus far. Accommodations are nice - not luxurious, but nice. And the room comes with free hot breakfast in the morning and free drinks in the afternoon. All in all, a comfortable place to spend this pre-cruise night. We also have a room booked here before our April 7 cruise on the Edge. 

We did have one sour note thus far. We had an unscrupulous taxi driver who wanted us to pay $20 cash for the short drive from the airport. I insisted on using a credit card. Amazingly, the fare was only $12 when I did that. He did NOT get a tip. 

Now we’re just relaxing in the room since our day started with a 5 am wake up call for our early flight. We’ll walk to Panera soon to grab some lunch, and then we shop. I can see TJ Maxx from my balcony. 🙂

We enjoy this hotel when we can book it,..,often sold out. It's a bit older but has very good service.  The cocktail hour is very  nice but sparse on snacks..Lots of nearby restaurants.. Our current fav is a Mexican place in the shopping center behind the hotel  easy walk.. Will ask dh for the name. Also there's a Carrabas on 17th St walkable...and many others nearby..casual to upscale!

The breakfast buffet is one of the best at any hotel...you can book a pvt taxi  or a shuttle from the Concierge or front desk,

Have a great cruise...welcome to the world  of EDGIES!

PS    The Mex place is LA BAMBA..... there's also Carlos and Pepes on 17th street...so many others!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, hcat said:

We enjoy this hotel when we can book it,..,often sold out. It's a bit older but has very good service.  The cocktail hour is very  nice but sparse on snacks..Lots of nearby restaurants.. Our current fav is a Mexican place in the shopping center behind the hotel  easy walk.. Will ask dh for the name. Also there's a Carrabas on 17th St walkable...and many others nearby..casual to upscale!

The breakfast buffet is one of the best at any hotel...you can book a pvt taxi  or a shuttle from the Concierge or front desk,

Have a great cruise...welcome to the world  of EDGIES!

PS    The Mex place is LA BAMBA..... there's also Carlos and Pepes on 17th street...so many others!

Love Carlos & Pepes!

• Like 1

The Silhouette is heading out. Tomorrow, that will be us on the Edge!

We booked the hotel shuttle to the port. $9 per person seems reasonable and hopefully hassle-free. We’re planning on heading over around 9:30 tomorrow morning. We want to have time to check out the new terminal. 

Getting excited now! If anyone has any specific requests for info about the ship, let me know. I’ll do my best to seek answers and report back once on board. 

26105B08-A281-4A41-B9F6-93E3BF13D5B1.jpeg

13 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

We are at the 15th Street Fisheries for dinner. Scored an outside seat by the guitar player. If any Edgies are here, I’m in a black Edge hat - come and say hi!😀

Enjoy! We're ordered dinner in. Our day started with a 5 am wakeup call, so we're curled up in our PJs and getting ready to watch college football in a bit. Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow. I'll be on the lookout for your black Edge hat. I'm blonde, 5'6 and will be wearing green capris with a navy top. Hope we can say hi!

1 hour ago, ohhbother said:

Enjoy! We're ordered dinner in. Our day started with a 5 am wakeup call, so we're curled up in our PJs and getting ready to watch college football in a bit. Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow. I'll be on the lookout for your black Edge hat. I'm blonde, 5'6 and will be wearing green capris with a navy top. Hope we can say hi!

Enjoy your quiet evening - hope to see you tomorrow!

• Like 1

We evolved into using Uber instead of the taxis from the airport, you may want to consider Uber next time. We are also a fan of the Renaissance across the street from Embassy Suites, perhaps you want to consider them next time.  The rooms have been recently updated and overall a more peaceful environment after a 5 am wake-up call.

We are hoping someone can provide some pictures of the open deck and pool areas when regular cruisers are using them. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

We will also be interested in seeing how well the flexible dining concept works on the Edge.  The was a failed experiment on Royal and I was surprised to see Celebrity try it.  It will be interesting to see if some restaurants are favored more than others an if it leads to excessive wait times at some restaurants while others are underutilized.  It will also be interesting to see how they divide the fixed time diners and the select dining passengers and if tables for 2 are readily available.

Have fun :classic_biggrin:

Hi Amy and fellow Edge fans. I am Bet and my husband (Tom) and I are from Tampa. We also booked this cruise kind of last minute. We are pretty new to cruising, but catching on fast. We did Crystal to Alaska in 2016 and took our daughter, oldest son and DIL, and 2 year old grandson on a short Disney cruise in April. Our daughter is 25  and now back home in Tampa in her first post-college job and she still loves Disney as much as she did when she was 5!  We do mother/daughter Disney trips as often as her busy work schedule will allow and will be going next weekend to do all of our Christmas favorites. 

I’ve been dying to try Celebrity and a newer ship. As much as we loved Crystal (and have B2B cruises planned on Symphony for February) I would really like to have more options and itineraries to choose from. 

We are staying in a Celebrity Suite on Deck 11 and I can’t wait to see it. I will try to post some pictures but I’m not very good at picture taking or posting. Any specific questions folks have I will be glad to try to provide info.