The EDGE of Glory: a live 12/1 trip report

ohhbother

7 hours ago, kearney said:

You are correct, they don't have a pool but they have a private dining area and a private cocktail lounge... on deck 17. They took an area that would have been the viking lounge... with nice views and made it into the dining area and cocktail lounge.  But you don't really realize it is there because the elevator does not stop there unless you are a suite passenger.

Gee sorry to hear that..We are not Oasis fans but that was a nice space up there  that we enjoyed  daytime and nightime..Now off limits ,!

4 hours ago, bajathree said:

I found the space of Eden very nice...especially the view in the daytime. The Edonites I found entertaining for about 5 minutes,,,after that I felt like I was on a drug trip watching and talking to them. What kept coming to me was....have you ever seen the Str Trek episode ..."The Way To Eden"...that has to be where someone dreamt this up from. 

Dreams or  trips of the tragically hip???

Kind of annoying if you are there to relax. Ceebrity has tried all these things in the past..all pretty much failed.

Is there a schedule of these disruptions?

I guess that’s why they serve both chocolate and vanilla. I’m looking forward to dinner at Eden.  Glad they are trying something different although I will miss playing bocce on the lawn. 

PS - the only people that never fail are ones who do nothing but post on CC 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hcat said:

Kind of annoying if you are there to relax. Ceebrity has tried all these things in the past..all pretty much failed.

Tragically hip is oh-so-appropriate. 

There seems to be a wide schedule - like 3-6 pm. And the performers stay out for about 30 minutes at a time. 

thank you very much for taking the time to do a live review! Gorgeous pics and ship - so many beautiful areas.

Sadly, the second I saw that "balcony", Edge was off my list. Sitting on the balcony is one of my absolute favorite cruise pleasures. Sure hope this isn't an industry trend - and that Virgin will have regular balconies.

Guess I'll have to stick to S class and live vicariously through trip reports like these.  So much fun to follow along.:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Flafun888
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Oville said:

We received our Sea Passes when we checked in and needed them to board the ship.  

Thanks, Oville.  Now I am even more confused.  Some get them at check-in and some get them onboard?  That is very strange.  If you don't get them at check-in, how do you get onboard?

21 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Thanks, Oville.  Now I am even more confused.  Some get them at check-in and some get them onboard?  That is very strange.  If you don't get them at check-in, how do you get onboard?

On Carnival in June keys were waiting at your stateroom where mail is left, I have seen videos of Royal Caribbean and they had the same set up, so it's not unusual. On Carnival they had some "receipt" that had your folio #, for purchases or to start using your beverage package. There was no insert your key entrance on the gangplank all the check in stuff is done and the receipt gets you on the ship. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

You get onboard by having the Xpress Pass on your phone scanned. It’s scanned a couple different times during the boarding process. 

A few random thoughts on our last night:

- We spent the afternoon at the main pool. That is a huge pool! It’s the biggest pool I’ve ever seen on a ship. Unfortunately, lots of people were ignoring the “no drinks in the pool” rule. There were empty glasses and drink cans floating in the water. Ick. One inebriated gentleman jumped in the pool with mug of beer in hand. He and the beer both went under water. He came back up, turned up the mug now full of pool water and drank it. That’s when Mark and I got out of the pool. 

- We went to one of the martini glass hot tubs,  but the water was tepid bordering on cool. Not sure if it had been recently drained and refilled or if the heater is already broken.

- Looking for warmer water, we ended up back in the solarium hot tub. That’s a great hot tub - we really enjoyed it. 

- Interestingly, the solarium pool is much smaller than on the Solstice ships. It’s a nice pool, and the water was a comfortable temperature. But it wouldn’t take many people in there to fill that one up. 

- We had dinner in Cosmopolitan tonight. It was our least favorite of the three dining rooms we tried. It was cramped, and it was cold. On the positive side, the food was once again delicious! I had beef short rib over corn purée ( one of the best bites of the whole trip) as an appetizer and then pancetta-crusted pork with risotto for my entree. Mark had the same entree but started with the Waldorf salad. We both had panna cotta for dessert. 

Once again, we were seated at a table

for two that was really a table for eight. Luckily, the other six people there were well into their meals and conversations, so they mercifully ignored us. 

We had planned to go the silent disco tonight, but we’re tired. So we’re curled up in our stateroom watching Monday Night Football. 

And, before we retire tonight, I should mention we received a surprise parting gift in our stateroom - pictured below. Thanks,

Celebrity!

All in all, it’s been a terrific cruise,

and we’re looking forward to being back on board April 7. It will be nice to have an S1 on that trip and be able to check out the “suite life.” One of my big goals for this trip was to familiarize myself with the layout of the ship so that we don’t have that learning curve on the April trip - mission accomplished. We should be able to hop right on board in April and jump right into the fun!

If anyone has any further questions I’ll try to answer them. As for us, we’re off to Disney World tomorrow for phase two of our vacation!

88BBB8AB-B55C-4083-B242-983F50A43E97.jpeg

Edited by ohhbother
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ohhbother said:

If anyone has any further questions I’ll try to answer them. As for us, we’re off to a Disney World tomorrow for phase two of our vacation!

Thanks for taking the time on your wonderful vacation to take us all along and update us on all things Edge!  Enjoy your time at Mickey's Place!  Please take care, and be safe!

~Barbara~

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beachbunny6 said:

Oh my, I’m so wrong.  This is what happens when you take two cruises to close together.  Our Sea Passes we’re outside our cabin as we did do Xpress Pass on Edge.  It was on our Infinity cruise we checked in.  So sorry, my bad.:classic_blush: 

12 hours ago, hcat said:

On the 2 night preview sailing....the first day they were randomly walking around Eden in the afternoon. They have names such as Bloom, Zoom and Gloom. Our conversation with Bloom was way out there....like talking with someone from another planet...or very drugged out. She told us to come back that evening for the show. We came back in the evening and Eden was in dead silence watching the Edonites both performing and walking around "talking" with people. We lasted 5 minutes before walking out....I just couldn't buy into this concept. I don't know how someone could spend a week going to Eden talking "tragically hip" talk and watching them act it out. 

27 minutes ago, bajathree said:

On the 2 night preview sailing....the first day they were randomly walking around Eden in the afternoon. They have names such as Bloom, Zoom and Gloom. Our conversation with Bloom was way out there....like talking with someone from another planet...or very drugged out. She told us to come back that evening for the show. We came back in the evening and Eden was in dead silence watching the Edonites both performing and walking around "talking" with people. We lasted 5 minutes before walking out....I just couldn't buy into this concept. I don't know how someone could spend a week going to Eden talking "tragically hip" talk and watching them act it out. 

Haha - we also met “Bloom.” It was a strange experience for sure - not my cup of tea, but maybe it will appeal to some. 

We just left the ship. Easiest debarkation ever. We were set to be called at 8:30. We were called at 8:35. Walked right off with barely a line, grabbed our bags and didn’t even have to stop at Customs. They were just waving people through. 

We’re in a cab on the way to the airport to pick up our rental car, and then we’re driving up to Disney. We’ll be back on the Edge April 7 - let the countdown begin!

Edited by ohhbother

13 hours ago, ohhbother said:

For someone who had requested them,

photos of the drink menu from the martini bar...

B50A520C-BA0F-4775-B3D3-2429A63B73F9.jpeg

A4D7FD3C-75E7-4874-934A-0DA886D170E2.jpeg

4629FB95-C67B-4C4B-BFD5-39BF12DE414B.jpeg

5B51B514-89AB-47DC-BFB8-D926B22F28D6.jpeg

75DA1D7A-C236-4F37-BC5A-DEAD5D51477D.jpeg

1F1A74CD-C07D-458A-A9AE-36D047C1E68F.jpeg

1B12657F-8A31-4763-9088-AAC18793F6D9.jpeg

80399C9D-7EF5-4045-870B-35EF27434C94.jpeg

So am I correct.... that if you go to the martini bar there is nothing that you can purchase using the classic beverage package. Has anyone tried to order a regular martini in a regular glass? Fine print suggests that they only have large glasses. We have never had a beverage package... so this 'perk' was a first for us. So I am wondering about this. Are there any bars that serve a $9 drink. I see even a bloody mary is $10. 

40 minutes ago, ohhbother said:

Haha - we also met “Bloom.” It was a strange experience for sure - not my cup of tea, but maybe it will appeal to some. 

We just left the ship. Easiest debarkation ever. We were set to be called at 8:30. We were called at 8:35. Walked right off with barely a line, grabbed our bags and didn’t even have to stop at Customs. They were just waving people through. 

We’re in a cab on the way to the airport to pick up our rental car, and then we’re driving up to Disney. We’ll be back on the Edge April 7 - let the countdown begin!

Safe travels 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bajathree said:

I don't think I have heard anyone raving about the Eden performers at all. Most seem to be saying it's strange or not their cup of tea. I have a feeling within 6 months or so we'll be seeing a reworking back there. The space itself will remain but I think the performers may get the axe. Perhaps if they brought in more mainstream musical performers playing jazz or classical music it would be more appealing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ohhbother said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this great review!  Have a great time at Mickey's house and we will see you on board on April 7th!  We are also in a Suite.  Wanda

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

I don't think I have heard anyone raving about the Eden performers at all. Most seem to be saying it's strange or not their cup of tea. I have a feeling within 6 months or so we'll be seeing a reworking back there. The space itself will remain but I think the performers may get the axe. Perhaps if they brought in more mainstream musical performers playing jazz or classical music it would be more appealing.

I thought the same thing;)

2 hours ago, spammie said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this great review!  Have a great time at Mickey's house and we will see you on board on April 7th!  We are also in a Suite.  Wanda

We're at Disney World now but already missing the Edge! Looking forward to sailing with you in April, Wanda. Our 24th wedding anniversary is April 8, so it will be a special trip for us. 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kearney said:

So am I correct.... that if you go to the martini bar there is nothing that you can purchase using the classic beverage package. Has anyone tried to order a regular martini in a regular glass? Fine print suggests that they only have large glasses. We have never had a beverage package... so this 'perk' was a first for us. So I am wondering about this. Are there any bars that serve a $9 drink. I see even a bloody mary is $10. 

Not sure if this helps, but my husband ordered a French martini, which isn't on the menu. It came in a standard-size glass. With tax and tip, it was about $18.

1 hour ago, ohhbother said:

Not sure if this helps, but my husband ordered a French martini, which isn't on the menu. It came in a standard-size glass. With tax and tip, it was about $18.

This is what bugs me... the tell you "Now get the beverage package and then everything (except premium stuff) is covered" and you get there and you can't get anything at the main bar... so you have to go by the pool or someplace out of the way to get something covered... it is not the extra dollars that bothers me it is that whole thing is very misleading. We came to Celebrity as Diamond on Royal... so we go to the evening cocktail party get our 3-4 cocktails and that is it... oh we may order a bottle of wine for dinner... but beyond that I am a regular coffee and iced tea person.  So the drink package is new to me... Never saw a need for it...

Sorry to vent.... but the whole 'free' perk thing is such a crock. When booking our first Celebrity cruise... I was booking on an online site... I had entered all the stuff... over 55, and state... and got a price for the cruise. When talking with the representative... I saw all this stuff on their site for various bonuses...including "free perks"... so I asked about this... well to get my free perk the cruise would cost me and my husband over $700 more.... I did the math... taking out about $300 for gratuities I still saved $400. Well we took the cheaper price and our bar tab was about $350. It is not free... the perks are "included" in the price. Sorry but I just have to get that out.

• Like 1