The EDGE of Glory: a live 12/1 trip report

ohhbother

17 hours ago, kearney said:

So am I correct.... that if you go to the martini bar there is nothing that you can purchase using the classic beverage package. Has anyone tried to order a regular martini in a regular glass? Fine print suggests that they only have large glasses. We have never had a beverage package... so this 'perk' was a first for us. So I am wondering about this. Are there any bars that serve a $9 drink. I see even a bloody mary is $10. 

I can only give you my experience with 3 sailings on Celebrity since they started the drinks packages as a perk.  It was in 2013 on the Summit, 2014 on the Silhouette and 2015 on the Equinox. There were mixed reports on the boards regarding this very subject.  Some were able to get the smaller martinis made at the Martini Bar made with basic ingredients that were covered by the classic package.  Others were told by the bartenders there that the Classic package was not applicable since the martini Bar was a specialty bar.  The same was true at the old Molecular Bar and World Class Bar, which had zero drinks covered by the classic package. 

Below is a link that has the official Celebrity listing of the various liquors covered by the Classic package.  It includes Titos and Absolute vodka, Beefeaters Gin, Johnnie Walker Red scotch, Seagrams VO whiskey, Bacardi rum and Don Julio Blanco tequila.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/modal/classic-beverage-package-modal

The majority of the bars on board will fulfill your needs.  The specialty ones like the Martini Bar will not and I can only assume the same with the bar at Eden.

9 hours ago, kearney said:

Sorry to vent.... but the whole 'free' perk thing is such a crock.... well to get my free perk the cruise would cost me and my husband over $700 more.... I did the math... taking out about $300 for gratuities I still saved $400. Well we took the cheaper price and our bar tab was about $350. It is not free... the perks are "included" in the price. Sorry but I just have to get that out.

The same exact discussion occurs over on the NCL boards on a daily basis.  Celebrity started all of this back in 2012 or so and then NCL came out with their version of it, but even offering a perk for an inside cabin, whereas you need to book at least an OV to get it on Celebrity.  If you're an average to above average drinker, it's worth it, if you are a teetotaler and don't care about the fancy coffees, bottled water and fresh squeezed juices, then go for the cheaper non perk rate and pay as you go.

An educated consumer is one that can make a decision which way to go once they have all of the facts and knowing about CC makes you that much more aware than those who don't and go into it blind.

Edited by SNJCruisers

On 12/3/2018 at 11:23 AM, kearney said:

Nothing like black out shades to get a good nights sleep. Oh do they have a night light in the bathroom? I assume you can find your way there in the dark. Sounds like you might need to set an alarm... to keep you from sleeping the day away

I haven’t seen anyone post about the IV cabins shades. I’ve only gotten the impression there are no curtains anywhere in the room, and that some type of electronic shade can be activated  that covers the balcony “windows” when closed. I am a person who needs complete darkness to sleep. This is one of the things about the IV cabin that has me really anxious.  My husband suggested he bring along some heavy black plastic bags just in case. I also like to sleep quite late in the morning, so I would love some reassurance that the room is truly dark when the shades are closed.

BTW, we are on the 12/9 sailing (1st 7 day sailing).

Thanks for any advice and your helpful postings!

On 12/3/2018 at 7:42 PM, ohhbother said:

For someone who had requested them,

photos of the drink menu from the martini bar...

5B51B514-89AB-47DC-BFB8-D926B22F28D6.jpeg

Thanks fir this! I noticed a few updated recipes. Kale martini caught my eye. It sounds like the green juices my husband makes minus the vodka. I wonder how popular this one will be!

I am glad to see that the premium package still covers this bar 

On 12/4/2018 at 2:18 AM, SNJCruisers said:

I am sure that in the dailies it specifically states that at 218 PM the Edenites will come out to play to annoy those that have a stick up their butt because they are card carrying members of the me generation that are only concerned about themselves.

If you can't go with the flow, just go find a quiet nook somewhere to read, it's that simple.

No need to be rude....some grown ups  do not enjoy disruption  entertainment, and  Eden has been  advertised as a  place for reading and conversation during the day...  

We will watch for the schedule....

22 hours ago, bajathree said:

On the 2 night preview sailing....the first day they were randomly walking around Eden in the afternoon. They have names such as Bloom, Zoom and Gloom. Our conversation with Bloom was way out there....like talking with someone from another planet...or very drugged out. She told us to come back that evening for the show. We came back in the evening and Eden was in dead silence watching the Edonites both performing and walking around "talking" with people. We lasted 5 minutes before walking out....I just couldn't buy into this concept. I don't know how someone could spend a week going to Eden talking "tragically hip" talk and watching them act it out. 

Thanks..we will avoid.. I assume  engagement with them is voluntary..so no problem

Wonder when the  EDEN entertainment  contract expires?

34 minutes ago, orknot2be said:

I haven’t seen anyone post about the IV cabins shades. I’ve only gotten the impression there are no curtains anywhere in the room, and that some type of electronic shade can be activated  that covers the balcony “windows” when closed. I am a person who needs complete darkness to sleep. This is one of the things about the IV cabin that has me really anxious.  My husband suggested he bring along some heavy black plastic bags just in case. I also like to sleep quite late in the morning, so I would love some reassurance that the room is truly dark when the shades are closed.

I was responding to the original poster who noted that they slept until 10:45... 11 hours.... I assumed the cabin had to be pretty dark to do that.... You might reach out to ohhbrother and see if they can confirm the reason for deep sleep was a dark room. From what I understand the blackout shades are in a track... The good news is that the track helps keep light from leaking in the side.... the bad news is that you can not peak out... and if you do.. you will likely ruin the shade. 

4 hours ago, orknot2be said:

Hi there. My husband is also a “total darkness” sleeper. He was quite happy with the lack of light in the IV cabin. The shade really does block out almost all light. There’s very, very minimal light around the sides. But it was close to pitch-black. 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, ohhbother said:

Haha - we also met “Bloom.” It was a strange experience for sure - not my cup of tea, but maybe it will appeal to some. 

We just left the ship. Easiest debarkation ever. We were set to be called at 8:30. We were called at 8:35. Walked right off with barely a line, grabbed our bags and didn’t even have to stop at Customs. They were just waving people through. 

We’re in a cab on the way to the airport to pick up our rental car, and then we’re driving up to Disney. We’ll be back on the Edge April 7 - let the countdown begin!

We are on the April 7 sail too.  If I see you should I leave you alone?

On 12/3/2018 at 2:48 PM, bajathree said:

....have you ever seen the Str Trek episode ..."The Way To Eden"...that has to be where someone dreamt this up from. 

Star Trek was the first thing I thought of when I saw the ship. The Martini Bar looks like a warp core from the engine room and you can't tell me the theatre isn't a holodeck. LOL! 

Edited by Tao Diva
spelling
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2018 at 5:06 PM, Tao Diva said:

Star Trek was the first thing I thought of when I saw the ship. The Martini Bar looks like a warp core from the engine room and you can't tell me the theatre isn't a holodeck. LOL! 

Plus the Andromeda activity in the Club!