Picking a cruise line.

robindina

I’m planning for a cruise in 2020.  My brother wants a balcony room by himself. The hubby and I are fine with a ocean view. My mom will also need her own room.,   Before anyone says anything about just sharing a room...we have learned it is a requirement for our sanity to have our own rooms.  Which cruise lines are better for the single cruiser?   Affordable? Best Alaska experience?  

I  suggest you first figure out,   what route you want for your Alaska cruise along  with what you want out of your trip?   Especially if you have not been there.    That will narrow down your list.

I also would not suggest giving  a huge priority to price on  the single cabins-   they are going to be costly.    And some compromises with itineraries just is not a good choice in some cases.   

NCL does have studio cabins on their round trip Seattle runs.  

Be very mindful about your dates of travel,  there are huge differences,  so do your homework.   :)    

I suggest you,  at the least,  now,  look over shore excursion lists and have ideas of what touring you are going to select.   Consider all the Alaska ports in your selections.   

I do not recommend,  just randomly eliminating cruise lines.   They all do a good job in Alaska with many satisfied people.  

• Like 1

I bought at the 60% off for second passenger from Royal, so that makes the solo more palatable but Royal doesn't get to some of the ports, I picked the 11 day our of Vancouver that gets a lot of ports and two glaciers. It does not get to Glacier bay

19 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

I bought at the 60% off for second passenger from Royal, so that makes the solo more palatable but Royal doesn't get to some of the ports, I picked the 11 day our of Vancouver that gets a lot of ports and two glaciers. It does not get to Glacier bay

What 2 glaciers?    Not sure what 11 day this is but the majority of cruises are 7 days?    As I always mention determine what is important for your trip and don’t compromise so significantly that you aren’t getting it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

What 2 glaciers?    Not sure what 11 day this is but the majority of cruises are 7 days?    As I always mention determine what is important for your trip and don’t compromise so significantly that you aren’t getting it. 

Totally Agree with the above! 

Its new this year, only runs at the beginning and end of the season, leaves out of Vancouverimage.png.823feea53887a03454db67a2a4f44bf5.png

On Cyber Monday you get a solo balcony unobstructed for $3700 +/- starboard  side, forward or aft

I am going back in 2020 to either do a 14 day on HA or a one way so I can see glacier bay.

Edited by AlanF65

3 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Its new this year, only runs at the beginning and end of the season, leaves out of Vancouverimage.png.823feea53887a03454db67a2a4f44bf5.png

On Cyber Monday you get a solo balcony unobstructed for $3700 +/- starboard  side, forward or aft

I am going back in 2020 to either do a 14 day on HA or a one way so I can see glacier bay.

There are some very good itineraries that come up with these repos.   :) 

But-   yikes-   that price is way up there.     

23 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

There are some very good itineraries that come up with these repos.   🙂

But-   yikes-   that price is way up there.     

As a solo traveler are you saying I paid too much for that cruise or its expensive to travel solo?

This is a stateroom for 2+ people so two people would only have the additional port taxes and fees. So  $1,850 per person for 11 nights or $170 per night PP for a couple.

I get $330 back from Big box TA and 5% (3% cc and 2% executive) cash back and Royal gave $100 in OBC so $3,085 plus excursions and other stuff.  As I am paying it all this year I will have the cash back in February before I leave.

If I could leave on 5 weeks notice I could go for a lot less but until I retire I need to plan further in advance. I could also take a OV or inside view but I like natural light and used my balcony on my last Alaska cruise.

1 hour ago, AlanF65 said:

As a solo traveler are you saying I paid too much for that cruise or its expensive to travel solo?

This is a stateroom for 2+ people so two people would only have the additional port taxes and fees. So  $1,850 per person for 11 nights or $170 per night PP for a couple.

I get $330 back from Big box TA and 5% (3% cc and 2% executive) cash back and Royal gave $100 in OBC so $3,085 plus excursions and other stuff.  As I am paying it all this year I will have the cash back in February before I leave.

If I could leave on 5 weeks notice I could go for a lot less but until I retire I need to plan further in advance. I could also take a OV or inside view but I like natural light and used my balcony on my last Alaska cruise.

I'm a solo traveler as well, with a different style of travel.   I don't care about my cabin so book the cheap insides.  :)   I sail Alaska multiple times every season,  late booking and haven't paid a double supplement yet.  I purposely wait for it to drop.     

I am extremely flexible with my bookings frequently less than a week prior.   I perfectly accepting of not going.     There are huge benefits to having plans and reservations in place in advance.    But-  it's a sick game with me,   that is part of my travel "fun".   Scrambling at the last minute putting everything together.    :)     

I'm a solo traveler as well, with a different style of travel.   I don't care about my cabin so book the cheap insides.  🙂  I sail Alaska multiple times every season,  late booking and haven't paid a double supplement yet.  I purposely wait for it to drop.     

I am extremely flexible with my bookings frequently less than a week prior.   I perfectly accepting of not going.     There are huge benefits to having plans and reservations in place in advance.    But-  it's a sick game with me,   that is part of my travel "fun".   Scrambling at the last minute putting everything together.    🙂    

I was "mis-quoted" some cruises that I asked for 2019 and got 2018 prices in August this year for September, I see what you mean about low prices at last minutes. I look forward to doing that once I retire.