Currency Areas

john watson

I heard in the news about Sweden changing its currency within Europe.   The situation for cruisers in respect of what currency to take is becoming increasingly more difficult.  People need to know where the eurogenous zones are before you sail and it is not helpful where governments change mid-cruise.

Regards John

Sweden is rapidly becoming cashless.  They are considering a crypto currency as an alternative to the krona.

For the visitor it will make no difference as you will only be able to pay by card anyway.  Cash will simply cease to exist.

I expect within 5 years the UK will be considering similar.  I rarely use cash these days and I am coming across card only outlets.

Edited by Thejuggler

21 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

Sweden is rapidly becoming cashless.  They are considering a crypto currency as an alternative to the krona.

For the visitor it will make no difference as you will only be able to pay by card anyway.  Cash will simply cease to exist.

I expect within 5 years the UK will be considering similar.  I rarely use cash these days and I am coming across card only outlets.

Why does a cashless system require a crypto currency?  Our cards operate perfectly well with sterling backing, how does Sweden intend to operate differently?

Cashless doesn't need crypto currency.  Its a natural progession.

We used to use coloured stones to trade, or pieces of precious metals, then we moved to pieces of paper with numbers them.  Now we move virtual money using cards, next step crypto currency which has advantages over paper with numbers.

Blockchain transactions will become the norm.

Edited by Thejuggler

13 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

Cashless doesn't need crypto currency.  Its a natural progession.

We used to use coloured stones to trade, or pieces of precious metals, then we moved to pieces of paper with numbers them.  Now we move virtual money using cards, next step crypto currency which has advantages over paper with numbers.

Blockchain transactions will become the norm.

I know I'm getting old but could you explain what on earth that all means please?

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:09 AM, john watson said:

I heard in the news about Sweden changing its currency within Europe.   The situation for cruisers in respect of what currency to take is becoming increasingly more difficult.  People need to know where the eurogenous zones are before you sail and it is not helpful where governments change mid-cruise.

Regards John

Sorry,this is not the forum for biology lessons,lol.

Reminds me of an incident in Bergen when we docked on a Sunday and it was early and very few shops/restaurants were open at the time and a couple off the ship were asking everybody they saw, mostly if not all off the ship, if they had any local coinage because they were desperate to go the toilet and the only one they could find was at the side of the fish market/restaurant building and you needed coins to get in.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:08 PM, jeanlyon said:

Why not just use a credit card.  We don't bother with currency any more.  almost everywhere takes a card.

I wonder if cabin stewards and waiters will have their own card reading machine for tips when people don't have currency?.

On 12/6/2018 at 5:41 PM, Sussexboy said:

Majortom, I remember that toilet very well. One coin did about 20 people who all held the door for each other!

Finding the one with the coin is the problem especially on a Sunday morning 🤞