Live from Nieuw Statendam Premier Voyage, December 2018

Vict0riann

3 hours ago, scluvsrain said:

We talked with Captain Albert at dinner about the library books issue. He said that over a third of the books on this ship are already missing. 

Unbelievable. 

Yes, it is when there is a simple fix.  Our library has a tag embedded in the bar code of each book the library owns.  If a patron tries to leave the library without checking the book out, an alarm blasts.  Couldn't HA place an alarm on library/ ship exits?  Initially, it may be an investment, but would prevent stealing.  Also, passengers who check out a book and don't return it are charged for the cost of the book and a fine, the same penalty many local libraries impose if a book isn't returned.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Yes, it is when there is a simple fix.  Our library has a tag embedded in the bar code of each book the library owns.  If a patron tries to leave the library without checking the book out, an alarm blasts.  Couldn't HA place an alarm on library/ ship exits?  Initially, it may be an investment, but would prevent stealing.  Also, passengers who check out a book and don't return it are charged for the cost of the book and a fine, the same penalty many local libraries impose if a book isn't returned.

Two cents:

#1 - that sorta system has to be monitored while the books are "out and about" and "readily available" for removal. HAL got rid of their full-time librarians not too long ago. On the "S" and "R" ships, there is a "locking system" in their libraries, sorta kinda like a grading that comes down and is locked in place after hours. The Vista's and beyond don't have that. They could install CCTV cameras in the library or fine folks could just suppress their urges to remove something permanently that does not belong to them...........don't hold your breath on the latter

#2 - The fine folks who take books and not return them are not the same folks who "check them out legally"

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Two cents:

#1 - that sorta system has to be monitored while the books are "out and about" and "readily available" for removal. HAL got rid of their full-time librarians not too long ago. On the "S" and "R" ships, there is a "locking system" in their libraries, sorta kinda like a grading that comes down and is locked in place after hours. The Vista's and beyond don't have that. They could install CCTV cameras in the library or fine folks could just suppress their urges to remove something permanently that does not belong to them...........don't hold your breath on the latter

#2 - The fine folks who take books and not return them are not the same folks who "check them out legally"

My 5 cents (the penny doesn't exist in Canada 😉 )

Whether the gates come down for the "locking system" is irrelevant IMO.  You just take the books to your room (similar to what you do on Oceania) and return them later.  If a sign out sheet exists (I've seen it on some ships and not on others),  and,, with no librarian, certainly both honest and dishonest people could miss it.  What counts is that the books are returned.

Since the folks who took them were not the ones "who checked them out legally", then it makes no difference to have a sign out sheet.  HAL doesn't want to invest in a full time librarian or cameras it seems so...

To me, the scanners put in the books would be the thing to do.  I believe Oceania had them and they read through suitcases (I saw someone stopped).

If losing library books is truly costing HAL 2.5 million dollars, then rather than eliminate the libraries, why not invest in them?

Moreover anyone caught stealing one should be banned from sailing HAL again.  Put that in the books and that might stop a few light fingered people 😉 

I was a librarian in my former life many years ago and our library, even though a small town, has those imprinted.  It doesn't matter what someone takes the book out in, it will be caught.  I actually was under the impression that HAL had those now from the coding I saw on books and am surprised they don't.

A[ologies Vict0riann, didn't mean to detract from your thread. 😞

• Like 1

So, let's put "dye packs" inside the books, similar to the ones used in bank "bait money" - They cross the gangway after failing to have turned the book(s) back in, and the dye pack goes off, turning the inside of their suitcase purple. They won't make that mistake twice

Back to you Ann

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

As I understand it, Oceana, Seabourn, RCL, NCL, Cunard, Princess, and many other lines use oceanbooks.com, a cruise ship library service.  I’m curious as to why Holland doesn’t use them as well considering the ship demographics. 

Apologies as well for the thread distraction. 

I remember on past cruises when the end of the cruise reminder for books to be turned back on went out, the librarian would arrive at their desk the next morning to find stacks of books piled high on the desk and the book drop bin also full with books on the floor beneath. 

Orlando also reiterated that it was $2 million not $2.5 million. My notes from his talk also confirm that. 

I looked in at the Crows Nest yesterday and saw no shelf or place for book exchange. 

On an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT note - hint hint - we had a comedian/magician last night named Neil Austen and while he was quite silly, the audience was laughing throughout his set, at least at the early show. I enjoyed it. 

Edited by scluvsrain

NGood morning!  The clocks went back an hour last night.  I don’t know if that will mean an improvement in my sleep pattern, but it is now 6:45 instead of 3 am!  Maybe the Pinnacle dinner helped, too.

My feeling about the library is that they are cutting off their nose to spite their face.  (As my mother would say.). They could keep the EXC area and include more stacks and comfortable seating.  I usually have lots to read on my iPad, but I like the quiet ambience.  If they lose a few books, tough.  Get a librarian! (A librarian shouldn’t cost 2 million dollars.)  I am heartless...

Interesting day yesterday - we went to Coffee with the CD, Ross, and the Chief Engineer, Eric van Loenen, who has been with the ship for over a year.  A very interesting and funny guy.  And we see him around the ship in his coveralls.  

Still having difficulty posting photos.  I will send stuff to Jacqui, including today’s When and Where.  Sorry, Jacqui!

We do seem to be having internet problems,  did you get my emails, Jacqui?  They seemed to go, but I’m not sure.

On a happier note,  it appears the Night Auditor has been working overtime. Our account has been rectified, and all our discounts posted.  Third try lucky. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

I can’t email my video Jacqui. File too large. It was cute. A little girl on the ship - about 2 years old - had gotten onto the dance floor by herself and was dancing to the band’s music. 

That's a shame Sherita.  Sounds really cute 🙂 

27 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We do seem to be having internet problems,  did you get my emails, Jacqui?  They seemed to go, but I’m not sure.

On a happier note,  it appears the Night Auditor has been working overtime. Our account has been rectified, and all our discounts posted.  Third try lucky. 

Just came here to get the PG lunch pics up, Ann.

that's the only set of pics I haven't posted yet.  I'll reply to each email so that you know I got it 😉 

7 minutes ago, floridababa said:

I am surprised that there are internet problems with a new ship!!  Some ships are quick and some have constant issues.

The lunch at the Pinnacle looks delicious.

I have not seen pics or heard comments about the Dutch cafe.

😁

They are coming 😉 

I think Ann is having problems with email too.  I have my eye on my emails and will post them as soon as I get them.  I know she has pics of the Dutch Cafe and hopefully comments. 😉 

Just want to thank @scluvsrain and @Vict0riann (and support staff - aka @kazu) for their great pictures and feedback. Sounds like you are providing great info (including some hiccups). I'm looking forward to the NS in March and this makes me want to spin the clock forward REALLY quickly.

Hope your trip continues to be exciting and fun!

• Like 4