Alaska Earthquake

ARRTrain

I have a Nephew and family who live in the Anchorage area.  I have heard from him in the last 2 hours.  His family and he are OK, their home is North of the city limits of Anchorage in a suburb of the city.  Electric power is out to their home with a 27 degree temperature this afternoon.  No damage other than some broken wine glasses and a half full Georgian decanter of a quality bourbon.  My soon to be 5 year old Grand-Nephew thought the event was "creepy cool", but then the kid likes roller coasters.

Damage does seem to be severe.  He called me while driving home at 3 mph due to very heavy traffic because of others trying to find a way home due to streets being un-passable.  

Prayers for the good people of Anchorage!

The Anchorage Daily News is posting photos of the damage on their website (www.adn.com).  No reports of injuries or fatalities, but significant infrastructure damage around Anchorage.

We felt the quake here in Fairbanks.  It wasn't a severe jolt but a very long and prolonged rolling.  Just knew that we were located some distance from a severe event.  No reports of any damage here in Fairbanks, but we did have neighbors on both sides of us contact us to ask about our neighborhood.  Since we are retired they correctly surmised that we were home when it hit.

• Like 1

In the interest of accuracy, since my prior post, the Anchorage Daily News is now reporting an injury.  Apparently a woman went into a Mat-Su medical facility with an injured arm.  She had a prior arm injury which was further injured when her already injured arm was hit by a falling shelf.

The Alaska Railroad is back up & running.

Most of the roads have been repaired & in the process of being paved.

Not sure if asphalt plants have operated in December in Alaska before.  So far we have very little to no snow in Alaska.

All Anchorage schools closed this week for clean up & repairs.  Most Wasilla & Palmer closed until at least Wednesday for clean up & repairs.

• Like 1

It is good to hear that there were so few injuries. Also that the roads are getting passable and repair. I was wondering if the asphalt plants were cooking up their product this time of year. You mentioned little to no snow. I've been following wed cams at Alyeska since we have a stay booked there and they show a lot of snow on the adjacent mountains around Turnagain Arm as well as their slopes (which I figured was man made).