landing in CDG; connection to Venice for cruise; min time needed in CDG?

cool cruiser 14107

Hi,

We're flying from the U.S. into CDG (Delta flight; one ticket); then into Venice.  Our flight/connection time at CDG was just changed for the worse.

It went from 1 hr and 15 min to 65 min!

What do you think is the minimum time we need? I can change the flight if necessary; but then we have a  4  1/2  hr. connection time at CDG.

I believe we have to go through immigration at CDG? and then customs in Venice?

thanks!

If it is all one carrier on a published route awesome... if not....... min connection for switching terminals is 90 min.  If baggage is not through checked to venice. If you have to go out and check back in again 3 hours might be enough...

8 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

What do you think is the minimum time we need?

It really depends on what you mean by "need".

In one sense, you "need" only the published legal Minimum Connection Time between flights, which I think is 60 minutes. You can't actually book a connection on a single ticket with less than this time anyway (and the MCT is technically irrelevant if you are booking two separate tickets, which you aren't), and if a legal connection suffers a schedule change that takes it below the MCT, then you will get rebooked whether you like it or not. If you have a 60-minute connection, there is quite a significant chance that you will miss your connection because even a small delay will rapidly eat into the time you actually have to get from your seat on board the first aircraft to the gate for the second flight. But if you miss your connection, you'll simply get rebooked to something else - with a single ticket and a legal connection you are contractually entitled to this, so the 60-minute connection is all you "need".

But if you are asking how long you "need" to guarantee that you will make the second flight, then the answer is probably closer to three days. There is always a chance that you will miss the second flight. Short of a 3-day connection, there are plenty of well-known examples of this. For example, if your first flight takes a 24-hour delay (which is not uncommon) and then gets held up by routine delays for another 90 minutes, then even booking a 24-hour connection might not do the job. And there are situations in which even 3 days would not guarantee that you would make the second flight.

In between the two extremes, it's a question of your risk tolerance, and how much slack your schedule has for mishaps. If you're spending a week in Venice before your cruise starts, then taking the short connection and sorting out difficulties with rebooking and mishandled luggage is something that you could easily live with. If you have to book flights that have you arriving in Venice on the same day that your ship sails, then you may be better of choosing to de-risk what you can de-risk even if you have no alternative but to live with the other risks.

And finally, you could ask yourself this: What is the downside to waiting at CDG for 3½ hours for the next flight, if you were to take the longer connection? What could you do with the time while you're there? What would you do with that time if you were not having to spend it in the airport?

For CDG I always try to allow at least 2 hours, with my preference being 2.5-3 hours. Well actually, as a connecting airport, I always try first to avoid CDG. This is a very spread out airport, and often lacks efficiency. I'd rather feel more relaxed, end up with some extra time, have a coffee and do a bit of window shopping, then feel stressed with such a short layover. 

If you really like the short layover, then I'd check out the flights your airline has CDG to Venice following your booked flight and have a note of them. If you see you are going to miss the connection, get yourself to a customer service rep ASAP and have the options ready to try to get yourself on board the next flight, or soonest possible available. 

11 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

What do you think is the minimum time we need? I can change the flight if necessary; but then we have a  4  1/2  hr. connection time at CDG.

I believe we have to go through immigration at CDG? and then customs in Venice?

Your connection meets the legal minimum connect time, but I don't recommend it.  Last fall I connected in Paris both going and returning.  My connect times were right at an hour, and an hour and 15 min.  I went ahead with it, because I'm reasonably familiar with CDG, have Sky Priority status for some of the lines there, etc.   I did make it but I don't recommend it.  On the really short connection I had no time for a bathroom break, and certainly no time to grab a snack.   If you have even a small delay or an unusually long line at passport control, you could be in trouble.  I would absolutely go with the 4.5 hour connect.  Take your time, relax, enjoy some food, etc.

Yes you will go through immigration at CDG, just a passport check really.   Customs will be at Venice but in most of Europe customs is usually a non-event, in which you must voluntarily go through the red door if you have items to declare.  Otherwise you go through the green door (door with green light, or green sign or whatever) and that's it; you don't wait in line, show your bags, speak to anyone or have any kind of face to face with a customs officer.

11 hours ago, Jachred said:

If it is all one carrier on a published route awesome... if not....... min connection for switching terminals is 90 min.  If baggage is not through checked to venice. If you have to go out and check back in again 3 hours might be enough...

What's confusing about CDG is that most flights from the US and connecting for intra-European flights are all Terminal 2, but that one "terminal" is divided into multiple halls, all in separate buildings.  I believe the OP said they were on one ticket so bags will be checked though to Venice; they don't need to worry about leaving the secure zone to claim and recheck bags.

wow! sounds as if 65 min. is ridiculous; thanks! I'll change either the first flight or the second most likely. first flight is Delta; second is Air France; (bought all together through cruise line). I hope they will let me change the first one to an earlier flight! 

thanks everyone! : )

1 hour ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

sounds as if 65 min. is ridiculous

It's not "ridiculous". Of the people who book it, most of them will make the connection most days. There are many people - in general, more profitable passengers, who have as a very high priority getting where they're going as fast as they can. If they're prepared to take the risk, then a 65-minute connection is for them. Most times, they will make it. There's nothing ridiculous about the airline providing that service to profitable passengers; to those for whom end-to-end duration is not so important, you have other options.

To take this connection or not is whether it is in your comfort zone.  If you feel squeamish, take the later one.  

I'm one who doesn't like to be rushed.  I'm also one of the few who probably does not mind CDG at all.  I've done flights and connections through there more than any other European gateway.  I've even stayed at the Sheraton inside the AF/Delta terminal when I had long connection times.   I like the AF/Delta terminal.  I can spend lots of time in there - go the the lobby of Sheraton, sit, do some internet cruising, hit up one of the Paul stands for a lovely Brie baguette sandwich, spend lots of time in the AF Business lounge (free food, free alcohol, free massages), grab a copy of French Vogue and read it while sipping a cup at Ily...

4 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

I'm guessing you are one of those people that would take this flight!?

Maybe. It depends why I'm flying and what all of the surrounding circumstances are.

For some trips, I'd do it.

For others, no. (I once deliberately scheduled a 12-hour connection, during which I didn't leave the airport, for a number of cumulative reasons.)

I'd always go through a risk assessment process like I sketched out before. And I always welcome having options - that, in particular, is why the offer of a 65-minute connection isn't "ridiculous".

2 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

so Celebrity won't let me change it without a fee! they said it's a 'legal' connection. I called airlines directly; they would let me change it for free if I booked with them.

More times than not we have arrived ahead of time flying into Europe with Skyteam, but there are no guarantees that will happen.  Move quick, get an idea of CDG’s layout prior, and be prepared with plan B options to your destination...or pay the change fee, if what you are saying is that because you did not book directly with the airline they would charge you.

3 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

so Celebrity won't let me change it without a fee! they said it's a 'legal' connection. I called airlines directly; they would let me change it for free if I booked with them.

You have come up against the difference between booking air through the cruise line and directly through the airline. Same flight, but different fare conditions.

A little perspective here: you've gone from a 1:15 connection to a... 1:05 connection. A 10-minute difference. It's a tight connection, but you had already booked a pretty tight connection, voluntarily. To your advantage there are options if you miss your flight.

When are you traveling? Is your flight far enough out for another change or two? That could happen too.

Be aware that CDG flights are plagued with strikes by AF employees and airport workers including flight control personnel.

We have had several flight "adjustments" due to strikes and it's a hassle. International flights are less effective than European flights but if you are connecting the results are the same.

Do you have Delta frequent flyer status because even with a cruise air ticket we have always had service from Delta when the cruise air people would/could not help with or without an additional fee. This also refers to shortened connection times.

A change of ten minutes is not going to get much attention from either source however.

I suggest you monitor your flights from time to time. If you cannot change then be sure to have alternate flight information handy. Familiarize yourself with the Terminal Two layout and also be aware that you might have to take a bus between terminals. CDG is clearly marked with English overhead signage. Use the Delta app for flight and gate information.

Good luck.

thanks everyone for such helpful responses! Yes, the difference between booking on my own and through the cruise line. Yes, maybe it will change again! : )

oh my; I didn't know anything about these strikes; I should have gone through Rome instead! would that have been better (for future reference?) Is Rome better to go through overall?

thanks! 😎

4 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

oh my; I didn't know anything about these strikes; I should have gone through Rome instead! would that have been better (for future reference?) Is Rome better to go through overall?😎

The French learned about strikes from the Italians.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 10:23 AM, cool cruiser 14107 said:

thanks everyone for such helpful responses! Yes, the difference between booking on my own and through the cruise line. Yes, maybe it will change again! : )

oh my; I didn't know anything about these strikes; I should have gone through Rome instead! would that have been better (for future reference?) Is Rome better to go through overall?

thanks! 😎

Are you at least sitting near the front of the plane?   Premium class?    It can be slow moving getting off a plane the farther back you sit.   Add to the mix,  the further back you will be in the lines.   

I've connected through CDG  as well,  last time in October.   I was in business and still had a "line"  eg time,  to wait in.