What are the best ships for a short cruise(on Carnival and Royal Carribean)?

cfand3boyz

We have been on two cruises. One was on Carnival Sensation back in 2011 and the other was Disney this year.  We want to plan a 2020 cruise with family members. We are paying for the cruise so it will be a short cruise (5 days or less). I know the cruise lines use their older ships for the short cruises.  What is the best older cruise ship that you have been in? The family members that are going with us have never been on a cruise so we would like it to be a nice experience. Oh and most likely it will be late May- early June 2020. We could sail out of any of the Florida ports, South Carolina,Mobile,etc. We would prefer to go somewhere other than Bahamas.  Thanks for any help. 

You don't state the ages in your family...but we just returned from the Grandeur and had an amazing time (out of Baltimore).  The only negative I will say about it, is it is an older group of people.  I do not recommend it for children, as there is a very limited amount of things for them to do.   You also have Carnival's Pride out of Baltimore.  Much better atmosphere for children.

I agree with Bob.  I think the best ships doing short cruises are RCI's Mariner and Navigator of the Seas.  I've done short cruises on RCI, NCL and Carnival and I think RCI is far superior.

Grandeur of the Seas and other Vision Class ships like Enchantment are also really nice.

Edited by Aquahound
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the replies.  My husband and I will be 48 years old.  My sister in law will be 51. Our son will be 19 yrs old and our nephew will be 17. Our 22 year old son might join us.  I will check out your suggestions.  Thank you. 

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Since you are in Virginia, have you considered Baltimore as departure port?  Grandeur of the Seas does 5-night cruises to Bermuda.

Thank you very much for that suggestion. That might be the best port for us.  It is a good drive for us.  Our family will be traveling from Tennessee and there are usually very inexpensive flights to Baltimore. Thanks again!

On 12/1/2018 at 10:17 AM, shipgeeks said:

Since you are in Virginia, have you considered Baltimore as departure port?  Grandeur of the Seas does 5-night cruises to Bermuda.

On 12/1/2018 at 10:25 AM, champagne123 said:

You don't state the ages in your family...but we just returned from the Grandeur and had an amazing time (out of Baltimore).  The only negative I will say about it, is it is an older group of people.  I do not recommend it for children, as there is a very limited amount of things for them to do.   You also have Carnival's Pride out of Baltimore.  Much better atmosphere for children.

The Anthem from Bayonne also does a 5 day to Bermuda and should have more bells and whistles than Grandeur (if you are looking for that).  Bermuda cruises tend to cost more than Bahamas.

Carnival Pride usually costs less than Grandeur, but also usually sails to Bahamas. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 11:42 AM, pacruise804 said:

The Anthem from Bayonne also does a 5 day to Bermuda and should have more bells and whistles than Grandeur (if you are looking for that).  Bermuda cruises tend to cost more than Bahamas.

Carnival Pride usually costs less than Grandeur, but also usually sails to Bahamas. 

Anthem OTS to Bermuda would be a very good choice!  :classic_wink: