Indy quick review - Thanksgiving cruise

fla33023

Just wanted to give my 2 cents regarding post-refurb Indy. I was concerned about the reviews saying it now felt crowded, but I don't agree at all. People seemed to spread out just as much as before. There were obviously LOTS of families and kids on board so the pool area was busy but we always had a seat. Never an issue finding seating in the Windjammer. 

Playmakers has awesome wings! It's a really fun, well-done place. There was a moment where I had just about forgot I was on a ship. It really feels like you're in your hometown sports bar. Fish 'n Ships is good. They're both a little slow with getting food but I had no where else to be. Chops was excellent. I wished we could have eaten there every night. I found the food in the Windjammer to be mediocre. It always looks better than it is. The MDR was good. My only criticism of the cruise was the pumpkin pie.  It was terrible! Lol It tasted like hard boiled eggs. We overheard people talking about it with their wait staff at breakfast the next day. We just couldn't imagine what went wrong with such an easy dessert. I love how that is my only complaint!

Christmas decorations went up Friday night into Saturday afternoon. My 8-yr-old enjoyed the kids club when there. Loved Indy before the refurbishment and even more after!

20181122_184015.jpg

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Katemusical said:

Thank you for your quick review! I'm excited to leave Xmas eve on the Indy!!

Did you go to the shows? What times were they listed?

Thanksgiving was just the 4-day. Not sure if that differs from yours. The ice show was Day 2 at 12:30 & 2:30 and Day 4 at 3 & 5. Grease was Day 2 at 6 & 9. Michael Grimm (Americas got talent) was Day 3 at 7:30 & 9:15. Comedian Gary Caouette Day 4 at 7:45 (part of Farewell show. I thought he was funny) & 11.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2018 at 10:11 AM, fla33023 said:

Playmakers has awesome wings! It's a really fun, well-done place. There was a moment where I had just about forgot I was on a ship. It really feels like you're in your hometown sports bar.

Really happy to hear this.  I'm a salty snack guy and much prefer wings to something like a cookie or pastries.  I've been whining about the lack of late night food options on RCI for quite some time.  Any idea when the food closes down in Playmakers for the night?  Playmakers will be on the Amplified Navigator for us in March and I'm looking forward to it!

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

1 minute ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Really happy to hear this.  I'm a salty snack guy and much prefer wings to something like a cookie or pastries.  I've been whining about the lack of late night food options on RCI for quite some time.  Any idea when the food closes down in Playmakers for the night?

Dan

The Compass lists their hours as 11am - midnight. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JustUs275 said:

We've been twice on Freedom and loved it, it's probably our favorite class.

Terri

Agreed.  Still large with LOTS to do, easy to get around, large open areas, the Heli pad for star gazing, the deck 4 walking track, and all of the easy access open views of the ocean.

Dan

I too was on this cruise.  I agree it never felt overly crowded.  Also, a quick note to those who like the breakfast basics.  There was a mini buffet set up in Playmakers each morning.  Bacon, eggs, potatoes, etc.  We pretty much had breakfast by ourselves those mornings.  It was a good break from the Windjammer crowd.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dwp10mm said:

I too was on this cruise.  I agree it never felt overly crowded.  Also, a quick note to those who like the breakfast basics.  There was a mini buffet set up in Playmakers each morning.  Bacon, eggs, potatoes, etc.  We pretty much had breakfast by ourselves those mornings.  It was a good break from the Windjammer crowd.

Sounds good. As long as they have some fruit to go with it, my wife will be happy.

2 minutes ago, mrpayroll said:

Sounds good. As long as they have some fruit to go with it, my wife will be happy.

They did.  They had cut up fruit, assorted pastries, some yogurt, coffee and juices as well.  We all had some iteration of the drink package.  So we grabbed our lattes from Cafe Promenade, then went down one level for breakfast.  Seriously had the place to ourselves.

8 hours ago, dwp10mm said:

They did.  They had cut up fruit, assorted pastries, some yogurt, coffee and juices as well.  We all had some iteration of the drink package.  So we grabbed our lattes from Cafe Promenade, then went down one level for breakfast.  Seriously had the place to ourselves.

Aw man, I wish I had known that! I get so tired of the Windjammer even when it's not crowded. We went to Playmakers for a bit every day but never before 12. Thanks for that info!

17 hours ago, fla33023 said:

Aw man, I wish I had known that! I get so tired of the Windjammer even when it's not crowded. We went to Playmakers for a bit every day but never before 12. Thanks for that info!

have you ever tried the MDR for breakfast. That is where we normally go.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 8:10 AM, dwp10mm said:

This is great to know.  We will take advantage of it!