Park West art auctions?

jargey3000

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I doubt if the cruise line is getting a commission.

We had some long talks with one head of Art once, he had a real interest in art and was doing this while he finished his fine art degree, he had just discovered an Australian artist I knew when I was growing up, and noticed I was reading a book about the artist. 

He told us that Princess get a flat fee plus a % of sales, true or not who really knows, but that was what he told us and I can’t see why he would lie.

10 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Cruised for many years on RCI and for the first time this past September while onboard Freedom we actually stood in the back and watched an auction going on......OMG.... people were paying outrageous prices for what we thought was junk and would never have any of these in our home.......What's the deal with these people...too much cheap champagne :classic_wacko:

The cheap sparkling is likely the catalyst.

I have attended many of the auctions.  They also put on seminars where they discuss art history and there is no pressure to buy.

Many of you that say they hound you, forget to post that you more than likely signed up for one of their giveaways willingly.  Guess the price of the art for example.  If you are too uneducated to know that if you show interest that sales people may actually speak with you, then perhaps you should stay away.

We have purchased items from them, and always ended up paying less than what was mentioned during the auction.  We have received every piece of art we ever purchased.

I realize they did have problems in the past so was wary, but that has not been my experience as we pick up the odd piece now and then.

If you don't like art, don't attend.  No one is forcing you to come drink the free champagne.

11 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

We had some long talks with one head of Art once, he had a real interest in art and was doing this while he finished his fine art degree, he had just discovered an Australian artist I knew when I was growing up, and noticed I was reading a book about the artist. 

He told us that Princess get a flat fee plus a % of sales, true or not who really knows, but that was what he told us and I can’t see why he would lie.

Fair enough then, I figured the people selling the art would be getting a commission.

1 minute ago, trent1k1 said:

If you don't like art, don't attend.  No one is forcing you to come drink the free champagne.

Almost exactly why we do not attend as we do like some forms of art, just not what is usually on offer on the ship.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

Fair enough then, I figured the people selling the art would be getting a commission.

Ohh they get a commission too, but they work for Park West, not Princess. I didn’t go into just who gets what, but this young fellow (Trent if memory serves) sure knew his art, as I understood him a year on a ship would cover his costs for a few years of University, he also used the opportunity to find out about local art and it was when he saw me reading “Bill” that he asked me a few questions, I left him my copy, as a I had another at home.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Almost exactly why we do not attend as we do like some forms of art, just not what is usually on offer on the ship.

I nabbed a couple of really bright prints, Macaw, Frog on some cane etc that I love for the vibrant colours, think I paid about $25 for 4 of them, got them framed locally at home for less than Park West wanted to frame one, plus if I got them to frame them shipping went through the roof.

thats the sort of thing I think worth while at the auctions, basically posters you’d pay $10 at Big Dub, but some different subjects.

no idea if Norwegian have art auctions but I’ll certainly have a look.

8 minutes ago, trent1k1 said:

I have attended many of the auctions.  They also put on seminars where they discuss art history and there is no pressure to buy.

Many of you that say they hound you, forget to post that you more than likely signed up for one of their giveaways willingly.  Guess the price of the art for example.  If you are too uneducated to know that if you show interest that sales people may actually speak with you, then perhaps you should stay away.

We have purchased items from them, and always ended up paying less than what was mentioned during the auction.  We have received every piece of art we ever purchased.

I realize they did have problems in the past so was wary, but that has not been my experience as we pick up the odd piece now and then.

The seminars are good if they have someone who knows about art and isn’t just a salesperson reading a script.

(but that goes for most lectures on ships, the quality can vary widely).

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

The seminars are good if they have someone who knows about art and isn’t just a salesperson reading a script.

(but that goes for most lectures on ships, the quality can vary widely).

Some people block out time for the Belly Flop competition.  I choose to attend other things.

16 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Ohh they get a commission too, but they work for Park West, not Princess. I didn’t go into just who gets what, but this young fellow (Trent if memory serves) sure knew his art, as I understood him a year on a ship would cover his costs for a few years of University, he also used the opportunity to find out about local art and it was when he saw me reading “Bill” that he asked me a few questions, I left him my copy, as a I had another at home.

I knew they were a third party, separate from the cruise line. Just like the photographers and salon / spa workers.

2 hours ago, trent1k1 said:

….If you don't like art, don't attend.  No one is forcing you to come drink the free champagne.

You're correct, no one forces anyone to attend.    The problem comes in when you're on a cruise with a sea day when it's cold or wet weather outside.    On sea days, on many ships the auction company is allowed to take over one of the large indoor seating/lounge area (i.e. Explorers Lounge on Princess ships, Viking Crown lounge on RCI), completely filling it with 'works of art'.   This severely strains indoor lounging capacity when the outdoor pool areas can't be used.   This isn't just for the time the auction takes, but also for several hours 'set-up' time preceding and 'clean-up' time following the auction.    So...you're not forced to attend, but you may not be left with too many other options in some circumstances.    

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

They did on the Sky back in 2010 but I do not recall seeing any on the Epic in 2016.

Park West was on the NCL Sky May 2017.  There was a woman buying TONS of 'art' from the auctions ... repeatedly.  Hubby just smiled and paid.   I agree with the majority ... they are fake ... they are ridiculously overpriced.  

54 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Maybe they should change the name to just "Park West Auctions".  

Most don’t contain any auction action, just name a price and first person with hand up buys it, then they say, ‘but we have more if you want one too”.

Just now, CruiseGal999 said:

Park West was on the NCL Sky May 2017.  There was a woman buying TONS of 'art' from the auctions ... repeatedly.  Hubby just smiled and paid.   I agree with the majority ... they are fake ... they are ridiculously overpriced.  

I’m not sure Fake is the word, for centuries artists have been producing things like lithographs.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Most don’t contain any auction action, just name a price and first person with hand up buys it, then they say, ‘but we have more if you want one too”.

Awww, I was trying to make a joke about removing the word "art".  Guess we have to remove "auction" too.  Haha.