Is Drinks On Us going away?

Até

So now all cabins Bella through Aurea on US booked Carribean sailings get the same Easy package.  Looking at current  Divina sailings I can't figure what makes an Aurea balcony worth $800pp more than a Bella balcony, ridiclous.

• Like 1

Typical 7 day Seaside balcony prices: Bella $989pp, Fantastica $1109pp (add $120pp), Wellness $1389pp (add $400pp), Aurea $1589pp (add $600pp).  Winter Escape is gone also so that makes all US sailings All Inclusive, nobody is going to choose Brochure Rate.   I was all for taking the drink package out of the cabin pricing equation, which this kind of does.  But I can't see them selling the higher (non YC) cabins at these price differences.

Not long ago when Fantastica had 12 drink vouchers and Bella hod nothing it was usually around $100pp more, and sometimes less.

Non Caribbean sailings booked from US are a different thing.  On two of my >12 day bookings for after March 25, 2019 Fantastica is $150pp more than Bella, a bit much for no vouchers but not offensive.  I still went Fantastica, but only because I was able to choose very specific, more desireable cabins.  The experience levels on Caribbean sailings all coming with the same Easy package/WiFi definitely need a price adjustment on the higher experiences.

Edited by Até

Just wanted to throw in something I noticed...the Easy Package Terms and Conditions state “Excludes Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve “ so it looks like you won’t be able to use it on their private island.  I don’t ever remember seeing that about the Drinks on Us offer.

Just like the Classic and Deluxe were not grandfathered into Premium and Premium Plus, I doubt people booked with Drinks On Us will be given Easy.  The two are very similar, if not identical, drink wise.  The 15% gratuity is the main difference.  Those with more generous booking terms will probably re-book as the current promotion also gives a small internet package. 

For a while I was wondering what the catch is, Easy plus internet seems to be a better deal than DOU.  The big difference that I see is for those who will want to upgrade to a higher drinks package.  Those new package prices have gone up about 80%.  If I had a DOU booking and did not want to upgrade I would move to Easy if I could.  If I wanted to upgrade to a better drink package DOU is currently much better, as long as MSC still allows the move to the old packages.

The Ocean Cay exclusion came with the new packages.  I doubt the old packages will include drinks there either, it isn't mentioned at all.  Not too big a deal to me as the ship is docked and it will be easy enough to go back and forth if island drink prices are extreme.

22 hours ago, Até said:

So now all cabins Bella through Aurea on US booked Carribean sailings get the same Easy package.  Looking at current  Divina sailings I can't figure what makes an Aurea balcony worth $800pp more than a Bella balcony, ridiclous.

Ate ... Where did you see that ?

The new All In promo is probably better than DOU for those that book Bella and Fantastica and are happy with the limited Easy package.  Those who want a more inclusive drinks package are going to pay significantly more.  Aurea still gets Easy so it's just like the lower experiences, the other Aurea benefits just don't correlate to the price differences. 

@sidari @Até  just noticed on the new Experience comparison chart on US website for NON-Caribbean cruises:

Bella - no drink package !

Fantastica - 12 vouchers (vouchers are back ??).

Wellness - 1 Sports Drink in MiniBar, Bottled Water in restaurant.

Aurea - Easy drink package.

It seems Aurea with Easy is the “best” deal...?!? for NON-Caribbean sailings.

Edited by SirWolf

2 hours ago, SirWolf said:

@sidari @Até  just noticed on the new Experience comparison chart on US website for NON-Caribbean cruises:

Bella - no drink package !

Fantastica - 12 vouchers (vouchers are back ??).

Wellness - 1 Sports Drink in MiniBar, Bottled Water in restaurant.

Aurea - Easy drink package.

These must only be for Europe cruises booked on your side of the pond?

3 hours ago, SirWolf said:

The non-Caribbean bookings I recently made on the US site were only slightly ambiguous regarding Fantastica.  While the wording varies a little both the PDF and web page experience charts still show vouchers ending by March 25, 2019.  I really wouldn't be happy with Easy so based on the upgrade cost from Easy to Premium (or Plus) versus just buying Premium (or Plus) or just paying for individual drinks I went with Fantastica.  I can buy a lot of drinks for that $800pp.  Aurea just didn't offer enough benefits on the Fantasia class ship for me to pay the price they wanted.  YC is out of consideration.   

1 hour ago, sidari said:

These must only be for Europe cruises booked on your side of the pond?

The only real current difference between the US and UK bookings after March 25, 2019 is the prices.  Package wise all we get is "Mealtime water" in Bella and Fantastica which is similar to your "Hot Drinks & water".

These are from the same Preziosa 15 day Northern Europe.  Average is about 28% higher to pay with GBP.

US.JPG

UK.JPG

3 hours ago, hhalliv said:

Does anyone know what is the benefit to the “Easy” package versus the Drinks on Us, besides the 15% gratuity?? Does it actually include more??

From what I can tell they are basically the same drinks wise.  The only difference is the wording that DOU has "mixed drinks" only while Easy mentions "select cocktails".  MSC uses the term cocktail and mixed drink referring to different types of drinks, which may or may not be significant to you.  The only other significant difference is the cost to upgrade, it's currently much cheaper to upgrade DOU than Easy.

Edited by Até

I just booked a Caribbean sailing last week on Seaside. The date is set for 3/09/2019. We were automatically booked at their Easy package included in the fare. It is $27.00 pp/pday to upgrade to premium. So that is $378.00. I need to quickly figure out if mixed drinks with well liquor are on offer or are we locked in to simple mixes (rum & coke. vodka & orange etc). I believe I read that there is only one beer of choice which is Heineken draft. I'm not keen on that one selection if that is true. Just trying to justify that $378 price tag. I seldom spend that kind of money in a bar tab, but the all inclusive factor is alluring.....

1 hour ago, kiminey65 said:

We were automatically booked at their Easy package included in the fare.

Booked Aurea?  The cocktail list for Easy is yet undiscovered.  Mixed should be no problem with well brand liquors. Beers with Easy will probably include one bottled beer - Miller Lite.  Here is a comparison list I grabbed, not sure if it still applies as MSC US has removed it.

Nov 2018 Drink_Package_Comparison_Guide.pdf

Drinks on Us has a considerably wider selection of bottled beers as opposed to Easy package's only 1 (Miller) and Heineken on tap for both DOU and Easy. Also, Drinks on Us now lists vermouth additionally to previously listed wines and mixed drinks.

IMG_4518.PNG

There were a couple variations/qualifications on that bottled beer list for DOU so I have no idea what you might actually get on the ship.  Unfortunately none interest me.  My bet is in the end you will have the same choice DOU or Easy.  I don't see the particular reference and I hate to be alcohol illiterate but don't know what vermouth is aside from a cocktail ingredient, never tried it straight.

ETA: Oh, I see Easy now includes vermouth, neat.

Edited by Até