Our Brexit Promise

Eglesbrech

Have you seen the new statement on the website as yet about P&0s  “Brexit promise”?

They are stating the blindingly obvious however if the pound does down like a brick against the euro or the doller then it is a safer bet to be paying in pounds (unless of course they put up the prices accordingly).

There was a thread about the potential impact of Brexit in cruising months ago. It seems now that even P & O feel the need to make comforting noises.

Thoughts?

A few years ago P&O added a fuel surcharges to cruises, and I think to cruises already booked.

I wonder if they will do the same again?  And a currency surcharge?

If they did add fuel and/or currency surcharges would you be able to cancel your cruise and get a refund?

It reads to me as though the point of the statement is that they are guaranteeing the price of any cruise(s) and excursions customers have already  booked won’t change regardless of what happens with Brexit. 

I don’t think it’s suggesting that on-board purchases won’t change in the future, or that price fluctuations won’t impact on yet-to-be purchased cruises or excursions just the cost of the cruise and any excursions already paid for. 

Thats my take on it anyway. 

Maybe bookings are down? Maybe they’ve done research and found that people are delaying booking because they worry about chaos at ports or ships not being able to sail European waters or dock in European ports? Or are worried about price hikes post booking and they are trying to reassure us?

Or maybe people lots of people are thinking that prices will go down if they wait? 

Possibly lots of people are taking the “let’s wait and see” approach to financial purchases unsure of what will happen. 

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

12 hours ago, Britboys said:

I saw mention of this on an e-mail-out that I received today, so clicked on it out of interest, which proved to be a waste of time.  As others have said, it doesn't say anything we didn't already know...

It does though reconfirm that booked cruises will not be subject to price increases, even if sterling tanks.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:09 AM, terrierjohn said:

It does though reconfirm that booked cruises will not be subject to price increases, even if sterling tanks.

True.  Mind you, I can't recall the last time that P&O increased the cost of my cruise after booking, even though the booking conditions allow it.

I imagine that people are asking about the effect of Brexit on holidays next year. Thinking about it, when we booked our 2019 cruise with Celebrity we made sure that we booked all pre cruise hotels, flights and transfers with them direct (would not normally) just incase there was a problem.

The only Brexit Promise I am really interested in though is the one decided by the referendum to be honest ---- that's another thread.

I’ll keep my thoughts on Brexit to myself and get this back to cruising. 😀

It is telling that a cruise going out on 29 March is offering service charge free (pre the change in May) in addition to cheap prices etc. Cruises right after any change may experience the start of issues, then again it may be business as usual but at the moment no one knows.

Purchasing euros is already much more expensive so holidays are going up in price if staying in Europe.

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I will definitely change my mind if there is another referendum I voted to remain but will definitely vote for leave whether it be a hard or soft brexit. Everybody is blaming Theresa May there was even one on Radio 2 yesterday moaning about the question on referendum and bemoaning Theresa May. She wasnt even PM then and the whole initial debacle was down to David Cameron and his incompetence. I think the biggest people to complain about in Drunker Juncker and his merry men they were always going to make it hard for us to leave because they dont want any other countries to follow suit and are protecting their own jobs and not what is best for the EU and definitely not Britain. I think their actions have been deplorable and I dont want to be tied even further into their hair brain ideas and wasting more money and I certainly dont want what Macron is pushing for is a European Army.

Exactly it doesn’t matter which political party or which PM it is negotiating, the result is going to be the same. The fault lies with Europe they don’t want us to get a good deal as they know others would follow suit and also leave. Leave Theresa May to carry on otherwise the delay will mean we end up with no deal, and put the blame where it belongs with Juncker and his cronies. 

Edited by amajaa
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Leave Theresa May to carry on otherwise the delay will mean we end up with no deal, and put the blame where it belongs with Juncker and his cronies. 

The blame doesn't lie with the EU. It's quite reasonably protecting the interests of the 27 remaining. The blame lies fairly and squarely on Cameron for calling the referendum and on leavers for being daft enough to think this could have gone any other way.

I note today that when we leave we will have to pay 7 euros for an ETIAS, rather like an ESTA in the States.  Only applies to those who are between 18 and 70.  So majority of cruisers will get it for free!!

The EU is petrified about giving us any deal worth taking.  The next country on it's way out is Italy - they are totally broke, closely followed by Greece!  What a mess.

14 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I note today that when we leave we will have to pay 7 euros for an ETIAS, rather like an ESTA in the States.  Only applies to those who are between 18 and 70.  So majority of cruisers will get it for free!!

The EU is petrified about giving us any deal worth taking.  The next country on it's way out is Italy - they are totally broke, closely followed by Greece!  What a mess.

Another 17 years before I join the majority of cruisers !!

Oh well my husband will get it free then, a couple of years to go for me. I can’t imagine Spain being pleased about the charge, they rely on British hooligans or sorry tourists.  

Will we charge Europeans to enter here I wonder. As a matter of interest does Europe charge other counties for example USA?

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Oh ye of little faith.

The reason for my 'little faith' is that the whole Brexit argument is based on blind faith.  That, plus outdated Jingoism, and a failure to accept that Britain now has about a tenth of the international relevance that it had before the first World War.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The ETAIS has NOTHING to do with Brexit, it will apply to another 60 countries including the USA

BTW I have asked for this topic to be closed.  This is a forum for cruising, not toxic political issues

I started this to discuss the P& O cruises Brexit promise, a legitimate topic about cruising with the company this forum is about.

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

I started this to discuss the P& O cruises Brexit promise, a legitimate topic about cruising with the company this forum is about.

However it is now getting posts about the desirability or not of Brexit which has no place on these forums