Elite free internet minutes

CruisinCouple2010

is anyone currently on the Crown Princess or recently left it? I would like to know how many free elite internet minutes they were given for a  10 day cruise or a twenty day cruise. I have booked b2b 2  ten day cruises for December and would like to know if you still get 250 minutes for each ten day cruise. Thanks for any information. 

Platinum and Elite get the following free internet minutes on every cruise

• Voyages 7 days or less, 150 minutes
  • Voyages 8-20 days, 250 minutes
  • Voyages 21+ days, 500 minutes

This is per pax so most of us travel with our partner and we get twice that time between us.  I have been on b2b and they let me use up any internet time remaining after the first cruise before starting to use the free internet minutes for the second cruise. I only had a little bit of time left but wanted to see what they would do.  

16 hours ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

Thanks for the replies. 

Was just asking as we just returned from 14 days on the Regal and were each given 500 free minutes. Thought that was more than usual but was very happy with it. 

In the past they used to make you run down the minutes from the first leg & then purchase the second leg but now it appears that they just lump both cruises together & give you the whole allotment from the start.

2 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

In the past they used to make you run down the minutes from the first leg & then purchase the second leg but now it appears that they just lump both cruises together & give you the whole allotment from the start.

On my recent Crown med and TA cruise.  This was NOT the case on that cruise.  The second 250 appeared AFTER the first 250 were depleted.  YES, the minutes carry over if not used from the first cruise. 

21 hours ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

is anyone currently on the Crown Princess or recently left it? I would like to know how many free elite internet minutes they were given for a  10 day cruise or a twenty day cruise. I have booked b2b 2  ten day cruises for December and would like to know if you still get 250 minutes for each ten day cruise. Thanks for any information. 

250 minutes for each 10 day leg of the b2b no matter how the cruise is booked. Unused minutes carry over. It is 250 minutes for each passenger, so if you are a couple and both elite then both receive the minutes. 

16 hours ago, hpeabody said:

On my recent Crown med and TA cruise.  This was NOT the case on that cruise.  The second 250 appeared AFTER the first 250 were depleted.  YES, the minutes carry over if not used from the first cruise. 

I believe the change will only occur after Princess Medallion Net cut into operation. I take it that the Crown hasn't changed yet. 

Edited by floridalover5623

Just off a back to back on Regal yesterday which has Medallion Net.    Our 2 seven day b2b were booked as one cruise; we received only 250 minutes each for the 14 days not the expected 150 and 150.  We addressed what we think is an unfair discrepancy with everyone from IT Manager up to the Hotel Director (and by sending an email to corporate Captain's Circle.)                                                                                    The HD, Dirk Brand,  and the Captain's Circle Hostess on board both told us that with implementation of Medallion Net that is the way internet minutes will be allocated.  The HD was kind enough to gift us the additional 50 minutes but did let us know that this was not policy in the future. 

Princess Corporate Captain's Circle responded in a brief, curt email to our question of why Elite's were not provided the full benefit on each cruise segment  "Thank you for your recent email. Your cruise was booked as one cruise, not a back to back. Next time please make sure how your cruise is booked."   

We are booked on Crown for Christmas and New Years as one cruise for 21 days.  We are hopeful we will be given separate minutes for both legs so we can keep in contact with family for the holidays.

5 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

Just off a back to back on Regal yesterday which has Medallion Net.    Our 2 seven day b2b were booked as one cruise; we received only 250 minutes each for the 14 days not the expected 150 and 150.  We addressed what we think is an unfair discrepancy with everyone from IT Manager up to the Hotel Director (and by sending an email to corporate Captain's Circle.)                                                                                    The HD, Dirk Brand,  and the Captain's Circle Hostess on board both told us that with implementation of Medallion Net that is the way internet minutes will be allocated.  The HD was kind enough to gift us the additional 50 minutes but did let us know that this was not policy in the future. 

Princess Corporate Captain's Circle responded in a brief, curt email to our question of why Elite's were not provided the full benefit on each cruise segment  "Thank you for your recent email. Your cruise was booked as one cruise, not a back to back. Next time please make sure how your cruise is booked."   

We are booked on Crown for Christmas and New Years as one cruise for 21 days.  We are hopeful we will be given separate minutes for both legs so we can keep in contact with family for the holidays.

Since Princess did do the minutes by the segment in the past, it is understandable that you expected this practice to continue.

However, booked as a single 14 day cruise, the printed policy has been and now is in reality that you would get the single allocation for the length of the cruise booked. We have just become too used to the past practice of not following the written policy.

On the other hand, those booked on a world cruise now would only get 500 free minutes over a 111 day cruise booked as one cruise. Previously, to use one example where there were 4 segments for these 111 days, there would have been a total of 1750 minutes. It will be interesting to see if they implement the new policy on a world cruise.

The new Internet minutes allocation is now consistent with the stockholder's OBC benefit. Booked as two separate cruises, two 7-day segment get $100/segment for a total of $200. But booked as a single cruise, the 14 days get you $250. In this case, booking as a single cruise is the better deal. I suspect many would be upset if a single booking was considered to be two 7-day cruises (as the Internet benefit used to be in practice) and that they would thus get $50 less.

Having had the Internet benefit per segment made for less work for the onboard Captain's Circle rep as the same letter of benefits for platinum members could go to everyone that was platinum and a same second letter for elite passengers. Now each eligible passenger would have to get a letter that would be different based on the length of the cruise booked. I have been on cruises that were sold with up to four different lengths. In that case, instead of just two letters to prepare (one for platinum and one for elite), the CC rep would have to prepare 8 different letters and be sure that the right ones went into the correct envelopes.

Caribill, your points are well taken.  Yes, our question of Princess was basically why things were changed from past cruise practices.  We booked Royal for the Feb. circumnavigation of South America which has several segments, but we booked as one cruise from Florida to California.  So we were most interested in getting accurate information.  We have never seen  policies in writing regarding the mini-bar or the internet minutes.  At least we now know specifics. 

Can you direct me to where I can find the written policies for Elite loyalty benefits?

While it makes no difference in total time, I have a 34 day cruise booked... and will either get 250 x 2 or 500 x 1. Not sure how I am going to limp that out for over a month... especially if i blog.

I guess I will buy some additional with the OBC we have been granted.

Does anyone know what they offer and how much it costs on a longer cruise?

TIA-

TL

8 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

Caribill, your points are well taken.  Yes, our question of Princess was basically why things were changed from past cruise practices.  We booked Royal for the Feb. circumnavigation of South America which has several segments, but we booked as one cruise from Florida to California.  So we were most interested in getting accurate information.  We have never seen  policies in writing regarding the mini-bar or the internet minutes.  At least we now know specifics. 

Can you direct me to where I can find the written policies for Elite loyalty benefits?

I just recently asked about that & was told it's not in writing. They want to keep it as a surprise. 

• 1 year later...

Just got off the Crown yesterday, 2/5/20 we each received 250 internet minutes for the 10 day cruise.  We stayed b2b and received an additional 250 minutes at the start of the next 10 day portion.  If any portion of the first 250 minutes remained they were lost at the start of the next cruise.  Hope this helps.

We had two 22 day cruises B2B and finished up by 2 x 500 minutes each.   I talked to the Computer Manager and got my 1000 at the start and on the second cruise when I had finished my 1000 I had my wife's activated.  

Always discuss what you want with the Computer Manager, I have found them usually very good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beachy One said:

Just got off the Crown yesterday, 2/5/20 we each received 250 internet minutes for the 10 day cruise.  We stayed b2b and received an additional 250 minutes at the start of the next 10 day portion.  If any portion of the first 250 minutes remained they were lost at the start of the next cruise.  Hope this helps.

Not sure why this old thread was revived, but the Platinum/Elite benefit is outlined in the Captain's Circle benefit section of the Princess website.  The only thing they have not done, is add the newer 25% discount option for unlimited internet packages that we can have in lieu of our free minutes.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:29 PM, Steelers36 said:

Not sure why this old thread was revived, but the Platinum/Elite benefit is outlined in the Captain's Circle benefit section of the Princess website.  The only thing they have not done, is add the newer 25% discount option for unlimited internet packages that we can have in lieu of our free minutes.

Just when I thought that I fully understood the options.

This is what I find on the website under the Captain’s Club benefit section, it does not mention a discount for unlimited.

Complimentary Internet Package13
Each Platinum Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle member will receive a complimentary Internet package to be used either on the computers in our Internet Cafés or wireless Internet on the guest’s personal wireless device. The amount of complimentary Internet is determined by the length of the sailing.

As a Platinum Captain’s Circle Member you will be recognized as such when you initially log on to the Internet onboard. Upon the initial log on you will see a screen which shows you how many complimentary minutes you are eligible to receive. In addition, you will have the opportunity purchase additional Internet packages at the available rates. This offer is only available at the time of the initial log on.

Only usage exceeding the allotted amounts will be charged to your onboard folio.

What am I missing?

10 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Just when I thought that I fully understood the options.

This is what I find on the website under the Captain’s Club benefit section, it does not mention a discount for unlimited.

Complimentary Internet Package13
Each Platinum Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle member will receive a complimentary Internet package to be used either on the computers in our Internet Cafés or wireless Internet on the guest’s personal wireless device. The amount of complimentary Internet is determined by the length of the sailing.

As a Platinum Captain’s Circle Member you will be recognized as such when you initially log on to the Internet onboard. Upon the initial log on you will see a screen which shows you how many complimentary minutes you are eligible to receive. In addition, you will have the opportunity purchase additional Internet packages at the available rates. This offer is only available at the time of the initial log on.

Only usage exceeding the allotted amounts will be charged to your onboard folio.

What am I missing?

I am not sure you are missing anything.  Princess has not updated/changed this benefit information for a very long time and certainly not since MedallionNet arrived.  The above is old information.  If you are on a MedallionNet ship, you will be offered a choice between the free minutes above, or exchanging them in return for a 25% discount off the on-board package price for unlimited internet.  You won't be buying extra minutes as the above indicates.  You can use your minutes up and then buy unlimited internet by the day later in the cruise, but it may be more economical (and certainly easier) to simply buy the full-cruise package at a discount on Day 1.  If you are unsure about the comparison, then visit the Internet Cafe on Day 1 and ask what it will cost to purchase internet after X days when you have used up your free minutes (X is a variable of how much internet you personally use and if you remember to logoff properly).