Oahu, North Shore question

happyholidaycampers

There are tons of small group tours that go to the north shore and around the island. Some are all day and some are half day. I'd just Google to find what you want an e mail them for prices.

Renting your own car to do it is also an option.

44 minutes ago, TorontoTL said:

You could drive yourself up there if you rent a car which is what we did each port in Hawaii on our cruise.  We used https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/  and found that car rentals were surprisingly inexpensive.

This is what we did.  You have plenty of time.  I think we used Enterprise as they were close to where we docked and within walking distance.  This was  a few years ago.  I also recommend discounthawaiicarrental.com

I would rent a car. The outfit mentioned by TorontoTL is a great, no-hassle agency. I've used them six or eight times.

If you go up the east side, then around the northern tip and south from Haleiwa to Honolulu you'll see a lot of the island and have a great day, I think.

Jim

There are a couple of routes to the north shore from Honolulu, but note than going way up the west shore past Waianae won't get you to the north shore as the road doesn't connect across the northern tip of the island. There were landslides many years ago and it was never rebuilt.

If you have the time for an all day trip, head southeast out of Honolulu on the H-1 freeway toward Hawaii Kai, a man made lagoon and canal residential area with shops, just past that is Koko Head crater- a mini Diamond Head. There are trails there. The Makapuku light house comes up next. A paved trail from the parking lot takes you to it, about a 3/4 mile hike. A bit further on is Sea Life park, a tired version of Marineland that is slated for major renovation. Continuing on this scenic east coast you will see the beaches of Waimanalo, Chinaman's Hat island, the towns of Kailua and Kaneohe, which have many shops and are full service communities.

Above Kaneohe the drive is more rural with plenty of beaches. I won't try to mention everything, you will notice Kualoa Ranch, which is a large rural complex with many tours of the mountains and valleys by bus, jeep or ATV. Many movies and TV shows are filmed here. Further along the east coast is the small town of Laie, home of Brigham Young University's Hawaii campus and the Polynesian Cultural Center (which is worth a stop). I won't try to mention all the sights and beaches on the north shore, but don't forget to stop at the shrimp trucks!

A faster driving route is to take the H-1 freeway west from Honolulu to the H-3 freeway which will take you over and through the mountains to Kaneohe, then you can proceed north. Return from north shore Haleiwa area on highway 930 or 99 to the Schofield Barracks area, constructed in the early 1900s and home of the 25th Infantry Division. Wheeler Army airfield is next door. Many of the historic buildings still exist with WWII bullet damage from Dec. 7th. You can take either Kunia Road or the H-2 freeway from Schofield back to the H-1 freeway to Honolulu. Note, if you take Kunia Rd., just after you leave the Schofield perimeter you come to a stoplight at the bottom of a dip in the road, on the right is a guarded, unmarked facility, mostly set into a hillside. This is the not so secret National Security Agency monitoring facility for the Pacific (it shows on Google maps).

Enjoy your time on Oahu.

• Thanks 1

I agree,  get a car and do the drive yourself.  I LOVE the north shore - especially when the surfers are there.  Stop at one of the many shrimp trucks along the way for lunch or a snack.

On 12/2/2018 at 6:07 AM, TorontoTL said:

You could drive yourself up there if you rent a car which is what we did each port in Hawaii on our cruise.  We used https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/  and found that car rentals were surprisingly inexpensive.

Drive yourself and use Discount Hawaii Car Rental, BUT RENT FROM A MAJOR. Rent from a company you know well/have heard of. Do not rent a place just because it is the cheapest. Quality comes at a price.

Would like to remind those driving to/from the North Shore before December 20 that the Pipeline Masters is underway at Pipeline.  It is a really fun surf competition to watch but the traffic can be horrendous so give yourself extra travel time.  If the waves are not good they will take the day off and you can check online for this info.  Cherie

Thanks everyone for your input, we have a rental car lined up to do the island circle tour but still considering whether to stay local. We only have one day albeit a long one 6am to 11pm. Not sure how long customs and clearance from the ship will take also as this is our first USA port of the cruise.

Would have loved to see the Pipeline Masters!!!!!! We will be there in May.

Appreciate your comments and time.

4 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

I love the north shore of Oahu. One of my favorite places in Hawaii. However, we were there in May several years ago and there were no waves, so no pipeline. 

Winter is when the waves turn into pipelines! That is why all the competitions happen in Nov/Dec/Jan - It's amazing to see pictures of the North Shore looking like a lagoon in the summer. We will be there in one week from today!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clover18 said:

Winter is when the waves turn into pipelines! That is why all the competitions happen in Nov/Dec/Jan - It's amazing to see pictures of the North Shore looking like a lagoon in the summer. We will be there in one week from today!

What are the waves like in September usually?  We loved not having the crowds in May and we like to snorkel, so calm is best for us. 

3 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

What are the waves like in September usually?  We loved not having the crowds in May and we like to snorkel, so calm is best for us. 

No idea! It will be our first time there next week. I’ve only read about the distinct differences between the north Shore in summer and winter.

On 12/20/2018 at 6:07 PM, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Frankly  snorkeling is a poor choice on Oahu.   I find is way lacking compared to other areas.    Northshore is overall rougher all year.  

Another option with only a day,  and wanting a north shore look,  is The Bus.   :)    With an earlyt start-   can make several stops.  :)   

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 1:44 AM, happyholidaycampers said:

Thanks everyone for your input, we have a rental car lined up to do the island circle tour but still considering whether to stay local. We only have one day albeit a long one 6am to 11pm. Not sure how long customs and clearance from the ship will take also as this is our first USA port of the cruise.

Would have loved to see the Pipeline Masters!!!!!! We will be there in May.

Appreciate your comments and time.

Purchase the Shaka Guide on the app store - $7.99 and it will take you from Waikiki all the way around to the North Shore and back to Waikiki.  We did the entire tour with stops in about 9 hours - but make sure to avoid rush hour back into Waikiki....  

• Thanks 1