Men's sportscoat or short sleeved dressy shirts

Marie50

4 minutes ago, Marie50 said:

Do I need to pack a sportscoat for my hubby?  He has dress slacks and short sleeved nice dressier shirts.  Will those be enough or should he pack long sleeved shirts also?

My husband usually does not pack a sportscoat. Short sleeve collared shirts will be fine.  

21 minutes ago, Marie50 said:

Do I need to pack a sportscoat for my hubby?  He has dress slacks and short sleeved nice dressier shirts.  Will those be enough or should he pack long sleeved shirts also?

Any  will do

Personal choice

No Jacket  required  but some men like to wear them

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Any  will do

Personal choice

No Jacket  required  but some men like to wear them

Agree except if we are invited to dinner with the Capt. or GM I will wear a jacket.  Most men do but all other times a collared shirt, short or long is great.  

A significant number of the gentleman chooses to wear a sports jacket to the Specialties and La Reserve. Others choose to meet the absolute lowest form of the dress codes possible. Some attempt to test the dress codes and not even meet them ( successfully or not). Your husband has to decide which group he opts to be in. 

Much like college days. Some strikes for  an A, some only wanted to do the work for a C- or even a D- and move on. They’re all passing grades!

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

Significant number? Perhaps 50% wear a  jacket in the specialty restaurants. That would mean a significant number of gentlemen don't.

Test the dress code? Really? This gentleman abides by the dress code which does not require a jacket to be worn. 

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Like 1

some people  are  so judgemental  of others on how they dress  what wine they drink  what excursions they take

the list goes on

DH  no longer takes  a blazer   it is  a personal choice

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

Short Like this?

166_003.jpg

The shorts are fine as long as you skip the suspenders :classic_biggrin:

The shirt is OK as well as it is collared :classic_biggrin:

Not sure about the hat 🙂

Edited by Paulchili
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Agree except if we are invited to dinner with the Capt. or GM I will wear a jacket.  Most men do but all other times a collared shirt, short or long is great.  

Except ... on our last few cruises (going back 2-3 years) I haven't even seen a captain's table in the dining room.  It's not that we weren't invited (no, we weren't, but we have been invited several times in earlier years) ... it may depend on the captain in question.  Some of them were elegant hosts (when we were invited) but on occasion other captains really didn't want to deal with passengers.  (Not that I blame them!)

There also used to be special dinners with a few long-term passengers hosted by lower officers.  We always enjoyed them as well.  We were invited to such dinners when we had 5 and 10 cruises.

But now that Oceania has been around for 15 years, and there are MANY passengers with many cruises under their belts, I can understand that it isn't necessarily practical to host all of us at private dinners!  We haven't been invited to one of those in several years, although we did enjoy a dinner with the General Manager on our Rio cruise back in 2013 ... But our wonderful TA helped out with that, I have to admit.

I would agree that IF invited to a captain's dinner, or some other special "private" dinner with an officer, a jacket would be in order ... The hostess always greeted us in an evening gown (no, not a FORMAL gown, just a dressy one) ... you wouldn't want to show up attired in a t-shirt and jeans, that's for sure... :classic_blush:

Mura

Keep in mind when packing that it's not just a matter of what a gentleman prefers to wear.  For some of us -- those who don't do well in air-conditioned environments -- wearing a sport coat is more a matter of comfort than of sartorial conformity.

There's been plenty of discussion in other threads regarding A/C in public areas aboard ship.  Not complaining, mind you; we "Chilly Willies" do understand that most pax like it fine the way it is.  But for those of us without much natural padding (or poor circulation or whatever), it's gotta be a sport coat or handsome sweater or we shiver through dinner.  

Significant infusions of wine do help, of course.

Mura, I understand your feeling about wearing a jacket if invited to a captain’s table. That said, if you otherwise do not wish to wear jackets to dinners, how can you predict whether you’ll be invited or not, thus necessitating packing a jacket that you may not otherwise need.

Packing with a jacket - for me - requires different packing than packing without one.

Thus I do not pack one and if invited to a table with staff, I dress nicely but without a jacket and I can live with that. Hopefullly the staff can as well 🙂.

Personally, I NEVER wore a jacket to Captain's table (!) ... although Howard usually did.  And no, we never could anticipate an invitation.  Over 17 cruises we had maybe 3 invites to a captain's table, and none recently.

Howard does tend to bring a jacket (not a sport's jacket, a leather jacket that he picked up on sale in Mallorca MANY years ago) just in case.  If we're in La Reserve he will wear it.  If we're in a specialty, he probably won't.  It's gotten so old now anyway that he probably won't be doing so in the future.

But anyway, I didn't mean to suggest that gents should bring along a jacket in case they are invited to a captain's table!  If they want to bring one, that's fine.  And if they don't, they will manage as you have!

Mura

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Mura, I understand your feeling about wearing a jacket if invited to a captain’s table. That said, if you otherwise do not wish to wear jackets to dinners, how can you predict whether you’ll be invited or not, thus necessitating packing a jacket that you may not otherwise need.

Packing with a jacket - for me - requires different packing than packing without one.

Thus I do not pack one and if invited to a table with staff, I dress nicely but without a jacket and I can live with that. Hopefullly the staff can as well 🙂.

Can always figure a way to pack a jacket but i am sure if i did have one it would be O.K.   Just seems the right way to dress.    Just me.  

We just returned from 12 days on Marina. I saw many more sports coats than usual -- perhaps attributable to the weather which was generally in the 50s to mid 60s. More than one gentleman wore suits with ties frequently. However I also saw much more casual dress than in years past. The table next to us one evening in Polo had two young men wearing sweatshirts and jeans. When entering Red Ginger a man in front of us was wearing a short sleeved shirt with shorts and sneakers and was seated graciously. Another evening in the GDR there was a man with sports coat, cargo pants and dockers. 

None of this had any effect on my enjoyment of the evening or venues — it was just very different and noticeable. Nor did it change my typical long-sleeved shirt, dress slacks and dress shoes. 

2 hours ago, Mura said:

Except ... on our last few cruises (going back 2-3 years) I haven't even seen a captain's table in the dining room.  It's not that we weren't invited (no, we weren't, but we have been invited several times in earlier years) ... it may depend on the captain in question.  Some of them were elegant hosts (when we were invited) but on occasion other captains really didn't want to deal with passengers.  (Not that I blame them!)

There also used to be special dinners with a few long-term passengers hosted by lower officers.  We always enjoyed them as well.  We were invited to such dinners when we had 5 and 10 cruises.

But now that Oceania has been around for 15 years, and there are MANY passengers with many cruises under their belts, I can understand that it isn't necessarily practical to host all of us at private dinners!  We haven't been invited to one of those in several years, although we did enjoy a dinner with the General Manager on our Rio cruise back in 2013 ... But our wonderful TA helped out with that, I have to admit.

I would agree that IF invited to a captain's dinner, or some other special "private" dinner with an officer, a jacket would be in order ... The hostess always greeted us in an evening gown (no, not a FORMAL gown, just a dressy one) ... you wouldn't want to show up attired in a t-shirt and jeans, that's for sure... :classic_blush:

Mura

We have been invited to dine with the Concierge  & the GM   we declined one of them but in any case DH did not wear  a blazer  & the GM  was to nice to comment if it offended him

I am not going to pack a blazer on the off chance  we get an invite to dine with management 

JMO

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We have been invited to dine with the Concierge  & the GM   we declined one of them but in any case DH did not wear  a blazer  & the GM  was to nice to comment if it offended him

I am not going to pack a blazer on the off chance  we get an invite to dine with management 

JMO

One of the good things about O.  No formal dress code   If you are neat and clean it is O.K.  to dress the way you want. 

13 hours ago, Mura said:

Mura

If you're flying in for a long cruise, lugging snorkel gear et al., the most useless bit of wasted luggage weight is adding a blazer.

As many of said, the jacket isn't required at all.  Sorry if I seemed to indicate that it is.

I'm frequently reminded of the couple we dined with a few years ago, on the first night of the cruise.  The husband was wearing a suit and tie and asked us about the dress code -- he couldn't help noticing that he was just about the only man there so attired.  I explained the policy to him.  The next night we saw him in Polo -- no tie, no jacket.

I've seen men on Oceania wearing a coat and tie at breakfast. That's just the way some people are. 

That's the beauty of Oceania, within certain boundaries it's all okay. The problem comes in when people want to hold others to what "they" think is right. 

• Like 3

seems  the people new to Oceania  dress  in suits or fancy dress

they do not do their research ahead of time

then there  are those that feel a suit is the "proper" way to dress

If they want to dress up  that is ok  but do not grumble when others  do not

JMO

• Like 2

I personally have no problem with anyone that meets the standards of the dress codes. I choose to wear a sports jacket to the Specialties others don’t. No big deal.

What I object to is those that don’t choose to meet the standards as pointed out above. Some here might cry how does those wearing shorts or flip flops affect you and why do you care? Simple example is on our Nautica February cruise a malepassenger was denied entry to Toscana attempting to wear flip flops. Six of We passengers were seated with his wife and waited for his return before ordering. And we waited and waited. About 25 minutes later he returned with regular socks and shoes on. That cruiser knew full well that flip flops weren’t allowed. He’s exactly the same as those that sign up for tours for which they are physically unable to do. They don’t care what effects their actions may have upon other guests, they only want what makes them happy or comfortable. Meanwhile, we have a number of apologists here that says “ it’s OK with me if we miss a quarter of the tour or your wearing flip flops doesn’t bother me, we’ll just wait!” Truthfully, their behavior does bother some!

These threads are full of posters that effectively say “ I know the codes say xyz, but Can I get away with PQR? Then they like to argue with the maitre de whether their blue jeans they’ve worn all day are dress jeans or casual jeans, or whether their flip flops are sandals!

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

seems  the people new to Oceania  dress  in suits or fancy dress

they do not do their research ahead of time

then there  are those that feel a suit is the "proper" way to dress

If they want to dress up  that is ok  but do not grumble when others  do not

JMO

This rings true, we’ve sat with a few newbie O cruisers wearing sport coats.  Seasoned O cruisers are less likely to wear them.   I see maybe a quarter of the men in sport coats in the specialties.  It is perfectly fine to wear nice shirts, nice polo shirts.  

I have never seen a tux on O.  I have seen a couple Scottish kilts. I’ve seen a handful of men in suits and ties and they looked over dressed.  

Women do not wear prom dresses. 

We liked Oceania immediately because of the country club casual dress.  We’ve ruled out trying a few cruise lines that have  the old fashioned, “ you must dress up”  rule.