Norwegian Jewel Sydney to Hobart 13 Dec

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

He may already be asleep after having to walk from the opera house to his hotel, unless he is just too excited to sleep that is.

I was asleep after a catch up with GB and his lovely wife.

now between some pain and excitement can’t go back off to the land of nod.

Norwegian Jewel

Sydney to Tasmania

13 to 20 December 2018

This is really just a consolation prize. Last year we were booked on Jewel during her initial season in Australia to do Syd to Adelaide, including Eden, Geelong and Kangaroo Island. It was one the doctor said no to.

More a chance to try a new line and have a week away than anything else.

12 Dec

So, booked in to Holiday Inn The Rocks, a bit of a “go to” hotel for us when we are cruising as it is so convenient.

We try to travel to Sydney the day before our cruise if possible, it is just so much less stress than trying to do it on the day.

This time we parked at the Opera House, taking advantage of their Cruise Parking deal, there were a couple of cheaper options but only the Tower in the Rocks that was as convenient. around to the Opera house after working out how to avoid the light rail works, and wheeled our way back around Circular Quay to the hotel, Ovation of the Seas was at the OPT and it is massive, by far the largest cruise ship we have seen.

As normal Mrs Gut got to choose our dinner, what a surprise Ribs and Burgers, just over the road. Simple but nice.

Then up the street for desert with an old friend and his much nicer wife. A nice chance to sit and chat.

8 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Mr Gut has chosen a good time for a cruise.

CC is to have a 3 hour close down, so could possibly up again by the time he gets back to Newcastle.

961159A6-2F19-42A0-82B3-5C0ABFFDF3DF.jpeg.5403e5d7865c827bf76ca6c72f204ea9.jpeg

Have you ever wondered why Ginger, Maryanne and Mrs Howell had multiple outfits for a 3 hour tour, while the Skipper, Gilligan, the professor and Mr Howell all only had the one set of clothes.

13 December

Boarding was smooth, same team as look after Celebrity and Royal Caribbean so I guess they’ve got it down to a fine art.

Gbenjo has said if I didn’t check in through him, and used wheelchair express he’d never talk to me again. 

As much as I begged Wheelchair made me use him.

We were on by 11:30 in fact 2nd on the ship. Would have been first but Mrs G had a glass bottle (vitamin C) that had to be found and inspected.

They were deep cleaning due to noro the previous sailing so had to kill time till cabin was ready at

We had 10642 an accessible balcony cabin this cruise and it was ready

Pretty similar to most accessible cabins, a lot of room, but when you have a wheelchair you actually need some space just to get it into the cabin and park it.

The bathroom had lots of hand rails a roll in shower with a curtain. One negative with roll in showers is that the whole floor can tend to get wet. I’ve long ago solved this by using the whole bathroom as the shower and getting changed in the wardrobe area. There is also a fold down seat in the shower which is very handy, saves trying to get a shower chair if you require one.

There is a ramp onto the balcony, but the angles were such that it wasn’t really wheelchair accessible for someone in a chair full time.

Some lunch at the buffet, similar to most Buffets, but full service due to the outbreak on the previous cruise. I thought there may have been slightly more variety

Then Muster Drill which was at Tsars for us and fairly quick and easy

The itinerary was changed late in the process when we booked it was

Sydney

sea

Burnie

Hobart 

Sea

Melbourne

Sea

Sydney

That changed to

Sydney

Sea

Hobart

Burnie

Sea

Melbourne

Sea

Sydney

This meant we would be in Hobart for Salamanca Markets, which made Mrs Gut rather happy.

Ate at O’sheehans very nice atmosphere and food good as well.

• Like 1