Medications

susan12369

Do medications really need to be brought in original containers?  I read through some threads that were rather old and I wondered if anyone has any updated information.  I'm not worried about flying with them, I've done that many times without issue with the pills in a divided pillbox.  I'd just rather not have all of those large (90-day supply) bottles in my carry on if I don't have to.  Also considering trying PillPack as an alternative.  I appreciate any thoughts!

Security rules and reality differ.

Yes,,, you are supposed to have meds in original containers along with a copy of the prescription when entering the country.

The first couple of times, I followed the rules. The rest of the time (and I travel for work internationally and domestic) and I travel with my weekly pillbox with meds. 

We keep all medications in their original containers.  And I do take along the pamphlet that comes with the prescriptions.  Over the years we have had TSA check the medical bag that we carry -- actually take out the pill bottles and read them.

We also get 90 day supplies of medications -- some of them DH takes 3 times a day and they are not small pills.  I ask our drug store for small bottles that I can handle.  Has never been a problem getting small bottles.

5 hours ago, susan12369 said:

Do medications really need to be brought in original containers?  I read through some threads that were rather old and I wondered if anyone has any updated information.  I'm not worried about flying with them, I've done that many times without issue with the pills in a divided pillbox.  I'd just rather not have all of those large (90-day supply) bottles in my carry on if I don't have to.  Also considering trying PillPack as an alternative.  I appreciate any thoughts!

Many people will tell you to take originals. Many people will tell you to use a weekly box. IMO any narcotics need to be in original bottles, and only the minimal amount required for the cruise taken with you. Other things go in th epill box. Take either paper or electronic copies of your prescriptions.

22 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Over the years we have had TSA check the medical bag that we carry -- actually take out the pill bottles and read them.

TSA, or Customs? Making sure your pills are yours is outside of TSA's mandate and if it had involved more than a glance I would have politely asked for a supervisor and a comment form.

Some of these posts are wrong.  The correct answer is no.   There is no law that says medications "shall" be in their original containers.  Federal law only says you need to be able to show proof, like a label or print-out.  

Here is a link to CBP's guidance.  Notice it says "should."  "Should" is not "shall."  

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1160/~/traveling-with-medication

Ref TSA, here is something important to remember.  TSA screeners have no law enforcement authority.  If TSA tries to hassle you over medications, demand they bring over a law enforcement officer.  

Edited by Aquahound

On 12/4/2018 at 11:38 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

We keep all medications in their original containers.  And I do take along the pamphlet that comes with the prescriptions.  Over the years we have had TSA check the medical bag that we carry -- actually take out the pill bottles and read them.

We also get 90 day supplies of medications -- some of them DH takes 3 times a day and they are not small pills.  I ask our drug store for small bottles that I can handle.  Has never been a problem getting small bottles.

TSA has no authority to check your meds. THey can call law enforcement to do it but they cannot do it themselves.

I don't know the legalities.   My advice is if you aren't going to take the actual pill bottles, take a copy of the prescription.  It will take less time than trying to figure out if it is required and you can stop worrying about it.  

On 12/5/2018 at 10:13 AM, Underwatr said:

TSA, or Customs? Making sure your pills are yours is outside of TSA's mandate and if it had involved more than a glance I would have politely asked for a supervisor and a comment form.

TSA has every right to establish that what purport to be medicine are in fact medicine. Complaining about an agent reading labels is at best going to be ignored. 

That's what they want you to think.

They don't even verify what your liquids are, other than allowing you as many 100 ml containers of it as you can fit into a quart ziplock bag, and now you're saying there's a transportation safety interest in seeing a prescription for Lipitor?

2 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

That's what they want you to think.

They don't even verify what your liquids are, other than allowing you as many 100 ml containers of it as you can fit into a quart ziplock bag, and now you're saying there's a transportation safety interest in seeing a prescription for Lipitor?

There are all sorts of legitimate reasons why a TSA agent might inspect a pill bottle. If you can't imagine some, I'm hoping you are not employed as one.

Actually the original topic was if meds needed to be in the original pill bottles.   The answer appears to be yes, no, and maybe.  :classic_biggrin:

Op, I toss my pill bottles in my carryon. Mrs Ldubs brings her pill cases without any prescription info.  Been doing this for a long time.  Never had an issue in Europe, Asia, or South America.  For whatever it is worth.     

I cleared up the requirements by CBP earlier (who do not require original bottles) by providing a ref link.  I guess now its time for TSA.  TSA has no business inspecting medications that are not in liquid form.  If you have pills and they start messing with them, they need to be politely challenged.  If they persist, demand they call a law enforcement officer.

This is TSA's website.  Notice the very first bullet point.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2014/09/05/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-medication

The bottom line is, TSA is not in the business of challenging you on your prescriptions.  Their business is to make sure you're not concealing anything that can harm others.  

Edited by Aquahound

On literally dozens of trips out of the US I have never carried my medications in their original containers as that would be way too much bulk.  I sometimes sort them separately but on other occasions just put them all in a single bottle and redistribute them once a week to my weekly pill boxes.  Never an issue.  Now just for extra piece of mind I also carry a copy of the printed labels.  None of the meds are narcotics which I would handle differently.

• Like 1

I’ve carried all of my meds in daily pill boxes. 

I also have in the outside pocket of my carryon the info that comes with them from the pharmacy.

It gives my name, medication name and description and manufacturer. All anyone would need to determine the legality of what I’m carrying. 

Nowhere in the world have I ever had a problem. 

Knock on wood!

Edited by jagsfan