Back from The Edge

cruzemaven

Very attractive interior. Infinite Veranda concept is nice but not necessarily better than a regular veranda - depends on your preference . Food in Fine Cut was good. Luminai was okay and Cosmopolitan was average. Two bar lounges Eden (we did not like the ambience) and The Martini bar area ( very crowded). Entertainment was not to our taste - though the technology was dazzling! We prefer The Reflection and The Silhouette ... Don’t think we would go on this ship again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruzemaven said:

Very attractive interior. Infinite Veranda concept is nice but not necessarily better than a regular veranda - depends on your preference . Food in Fine Cut was good. Luminai was okay and Cosmopolitan was average. Two bar lounges Eden (we did not like the ambience) and The Martini bar area ( very crowded). Entertainment was not to our taste - though the technology was dazzling! We prefer The Reflection and The Silhouette ... Don’t think we would go on this ship again.

How were you able to dine in Luminae if staying in an Infinite Veranda cabin?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

If you dine with someone who is in a suite they charge the non suite passenger $30.00 to dine there

Edited by cruzemaven
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I assumed that maybe they were in a Suite that had an infinite veranda, like a Sky Suite. I'm going to have to check the Edge out a little closer, to see what each cabin class is about. For the future of course, when or if prices come down at all. It's always pricier when airfare is required to ports not within driving distance. 

5 minutes ago, bermadu22 said:

I assumed that maybe they were in a Suite that had an infinite veranda, like a Sky Suite. I'm going to have to check the Edge out a little closer, to see what each cabin class is about. For the future of course, when or if prices come down at all. It's always pricier when airfare is required to ports not within driving distance. 

Sky Suites don’t Infinite Verandas but do have the same furniture on their balconies.

A few clips online make the entertainment in the theater (jewelry box opening) and entrance to Eden, comes across a bit eerie.  Some cast appeared to be spinning around randomly, or making simple gestures to music, while others looked more disciplined and engaged.  What was your take watching the full performances?

11 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Yes, I am aware. I assume by your response then that you were invited to dine there by a suite guest.

If I remember correctly, you will be sailing on EDGE shortly.  I followed your last review very closely and booked some of the same tours in Greece.  I'm looking forward to your review of EDGE; we don't sail on her until next December.

Happy Travels,

Susan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lola2013 said:

If I remember correctly, you will be sailing on EDGE shortly.  I followed your last review very closely and booked some of the same tours in Greece.  I'm looking forward to your review of EDGE; we don't sail on her until next December.

Happy Travels,

Susan

Thank you! Yes, I will be boarding on Sunday and will be starting a "live from Edge" thread soon. Stay tuned... 🙂

• Like 1

Just came off the Edge...tons of problems with air conditioning, toilets not flushing and bathroom flooded.  Spent a large time at the guest relations office.  Packages purchased were not on the account and Guest Relations personnel not very helpful or receptive to our problems.  Extremely unusual for Celebrity, they are my favorite and will continue to be my favorite but not the Edge.  Luminae at extreme side of ship, cannot make reservations and cannot order from the menus of other restaurants.  Could not make reservations for other restaurants, last night ate at the French and the food was wonderful.  Not a very good experience and although the ship looks beautiful it is not very practical.  Large number of passengers complaining, never experienced this before.  Sad

Still love Celebrity!  We also have a great time.

Edited by clcallej
typo

I hope that Celebrity will make some changes if enough people have common complaints.  I remember reading quite a few posts about issues on new ships, and why the posters felt that it was better to wait until some of the issues were taken care of to make for a smoother cruise.

I have never been on a brand new ship, but actually had  Edge booked on December 16.  After the cruise was changed to a western instead of an eastern cruise, I decided to cancel because I had also booked the first TA.  

it will be interesting to read the reviews of many others to see what they think.  Not everyone has the same experience, so that is always interesting.  Many reviewers do add specific and helpful information showing many different perspectives.  I am traveling with friends on my TA, so I know that we will enjoy our time being together, even if there are some issues onboard.  I also have Reflection booked for a wetbound TA in November with friends.  both of my cruises on Reflection were superb. I did not book a cruise yet for 2020, as I wanted the dust to settle on Edge and Apex.  My choice would have been Apex to Norway, as I believe many issues from Edge will improve on this ship.

Read as many reviews as possible, and try to have a great time, especially if some problems are still not solved.  The prices were high for booking, along with expectations!  Sometimes it is one's own fault when things go awry; other times it is just the opposite.  Hope your experience is awesome!  I too want a great cruise for the price I paid...my expectations are also high!

...just my two cents...

Edited by Lastdance

Disappointing to hear one cannot order from the menus of other restaurants in Luminae.  The Luminae menu does not always have something I care to eat.  Being able to order from the MDR menu was a big plus.  So glad I did not fall for all the advance hype about this ship.  Will wait and see what develops and whether or not prices become reasonable.

• Like 2

The problems of a new ship seem common from what i recall from other recent launches.  It takes a while for the crew to get into a groove and figure things out.  

Super excited to try out the Edge but it will be AT LEAST a year before we book on her. We have a December 2018 Caribbean and a Sept 2019 Mediterranean cruise already on the books. 

Thanks to all for sharing and keep tbe comments (and pics) coming! 

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Disappointing to hear one cannot order from the menus of other restaurants in Luminae.  The Luminae menu does not always have something I care to eat.  Being able to order from the MDR menu was a big plus.  So glad I did not fall for all the advance hype about this ship.  Will wait and see what develops and whether or not prices become reasonable.

This was forecast as soon as the deck plans came out.  Since Luminae restaurant is no longer near the MDRs, it was unlikely that the Luminae galley would be near theirs either [and a good thing, or all Luminae food would be cold by the time you got it].  But remember that Luminae is reputed to allow off-menu orders [at least in advance], so the trick is to get the menus for your entire cruise on the first day and plan accordingly.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Linda,

Now you have given me two reasons to conitune sailing on the older class ships.  I just looked at the floor plans and would understand that the other kitchens are too far apart to allow ordering from other menus.  The other let down for me is the small pool in the Solarium that does not have walk in access.  The suite pool also is missing walkin access. 

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This was forecast as soon as the deck plans came out.  Since Luminae restaurant is no longer near the MDRs, it was unlikely that the Luminae galley would be near theirs either [and a good thing, or all Luminae food would be cold by the time you got it].  But remember that Luminae is reputed to allow off-menu orders [at least in advance], so the trick is to get the menus for your entire cruise on the first day and plan accordingly.

I asked about ordering from other restaurants and the hostess confirmed (we weren't eating there, just wandering the ship) that you couldn't order off the main menu as the galleys were decks apart.  

I asked what you'd do if you didn't like the Luminae menu - she said they'd call down to the dining room (I guess of your choice) and make a reservation for that night for you.  So I guess it's either or.

6 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Linda,

Now you have given me two reasons to conitune sailing on the older class ships.  I just looked at the floor plans and would understand that the other kitchens are too far apart to allow ordering from other menus.  The other let down for me is the small pool in the Solarium that does not have walk in access.  The suite pool also is missing walkin access. 

Just off the ship myself and as per my picture below you can see that the Solarium Pool does indeed have walk in access.

IMG_0491.JPG

12 hours ago, clcallej said:

Just came off the Edge...tons of problems with air conditioning, toilets not flushing and bathroom flooded.  Spent a large time at the guest relations office.  Packages purchased were not on the account and Guest Relations personnel not very helpful or receptive to our problems.  Extremely unusual for Celebrity, they are my favorite and will continue to be my favorite but not the Edge.  Luminae at extreme side of ship, cannot make reservations and cannot order from the menus of other restaurants.  Could not make reservations for other restaurants, last night ate at the French and the food was wonderful.  Not a very good experience and although the ship looks beautiful it is not very practical.  Large number of passengers complaining, never experienced this before.  Sad

Still love Celebrity!  We also have a great time.

Do you know where the AC and toilet issues were? Was the AC issue  in public areas or maybe due  to folks keeping veranda doors and windows open???

We suffered with on and off AC on Infinity but thought a new ship would be better,

Wonder if there will be changes to APEX re balc furniture, brighter decor in cabins, etc...???