LGA to Port Liberty

Fall3n13

Hi All,

My family and I are taking a cruise on the Anthem on March 23-30th. I have miles and status with American Airlines and it seems using my miles, I can only get into and out of LaGuardia. We are looking at flying in the day before. Just trying to figure out options to get to a hotel close enough to shuttle us to the port. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, Fall3n13 said:

Hi All,

My family and I are taking a cruise on the Anthem on March 23-30th. I have miles and status with American Airlines and it seems using my miles, I can only get into and out of LaGuardia. We are looking at flying in the day before. Just trying to figure out options to get to a hotel close enough to shuttle us to the port. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

What is your hotel budget?  How many people?  Bed size requirements?  I'm assuming that Newark Airport is not an option for you.

There aren't many hotels that offer a port shuttle or rooms for more than 4 people or 2 queen beds.  

Youre going to have to book a car service to go from LGA in Queens to any hotel in NJ.  The only hotels near the port are 8-11 miles away.

18 minutes ago, Fall3n13 said:

We are a family of 4 so a room with two doubles and if possible a sofa bed. I also have status and piints with Hilton so pretty much any of their properties I can use points to stay for free.

To get 2 doubles and a sofabed you're going to have to look at Embassy Suites at Newark Airport and the Doubletree in Jersey City.  Embassy Suites offers a Cruiseport shuttle for $20/pp and free breakfast.  However the Doubletree is located near the Jersey City waterfront with restaurants and services and is several miles closer to the port in a much nicer area with the option to run into NYC if you arrive early enough. There is a waterfront walkway and places to walk with the kids.

$80 is a lot to pay for port transportation.  With 4 people Uber would be a better price.  Price a car service like Dial 7 or Carmellimo to both locations from LGA.  

• 5 weeks later...

What would an Uber for 3 ppl from LGA hotels to Cape Liberty cost?
I see from EWR it's about $30 but it would cost us $100 more (for 3) to fly to that airport.

BTW our budget is as cheap as possible!

Edited by toras

37 minutes ago, toras said:

What would an Uber for 3 ppl from LGA hotels to Cape Liberty cost?
I see from EWR it's about $30 but it would cost us $100 more (for 3) to fly to that airport.

BTW our budget is as cheap as possible!

What is the exact date you would need a hotel?  Are you saying it’s only $33/pp more to fly to EWR?

I’m thinking a LGA hotel with a free hotel shuttle will be more expensive than a EWR hotel.  All the hotels at EWR offer free shuttles as well as some off property hotels.

Car Service is the recommended way to go from LGA to Cape Liberty.  It’s a trip across state lines with tolls.  The car services have large fleets and can more easily pick up return fares.

If it’s only $100 more total to fly to EWR, that’s what you should do.  Overall you will,save both time and money.

14 minutes ago, 138east said:

All the hotels at EWR offer free shuttles as well as some off property hotels.

Free shuttle to Cape Liberty? I read that Country Inns, Doubletree etc. charge for a cruiseport shuttle.

Yes, $100 in total more. Going in late September so may find cheaper in the meantime. Thanks for mentioning tolls - didn't think about that.

26 minutes ago, toras said:

Free shuttle to Cape Liberty? I read that Country Inns, Doubletree etc. charge for a cruiseport shuttle.

Yes, $100 in total more. Going in late September so may find cheaper in the meantime. Thanks for mentioning tolls - didn't think about that.

Sorry - I should have been more precise.  All the EWR hotels offer free shuttles between the hotel and the airport P4 airtrain station.  The free airtrain connects all the EWR terminals.

What at exact date do you need a hotel room?

My guess is that it would run $100++ each way for transportation between LGA and Cape Liberty.

Don’t be pennywise and pound foolish with your flights.  If you can fly into EWR, do it.  The $100 savings for LGA will be eaten up by your transportation costs.

Hello Fall3n13-

To answer your original post, my DH and I live in the NYC area and have cruised out of Port Liberty a few times, so I have a few suggestions.

I would arrange a car service through those mentioned in a previous post to take you from LGA to Staten Island.

You mention that you are a HHonors member. TheHilton Garden Inn on Staten Island is a very good property. You could book a room that has a bedroom and living room with a pull-out couch to accommodate the four of you.

There is a good restaurant on site.

The hotel does offer a shuttle service to the port. I am not certain if it is complimentary or if they charge a fee.

We stayed at this hotel this past July pre-cruise and were pleased with it. We did not take the hotel shuttle as my DH did not want to wait for it,so we took a cab for a $40.00 fare.

This hotel is also a wedding/event location,so rooms do book quickly,especially for a weekend stay.

If you can book a flight to Newark, I am certain that there are many Hilton brand properties near the airport that are in close proximity to the port.

What you save on airfare coming into LGA, you could spend it on transportation from LGA (NY) toEWR ( NJ) - something to consider. A flight into EWR might be more cost effective.

Wishing you good travels !