chef's table

runnerswife

How difficult is it to get a reservation for the chef's table?  Is it worth the price, which I believe

is somewhere around $110? We are on the Regal in April.

I realize that is a difficult question as everyone has their opinion,

but would like to hear what the experience is like.  Thanks for any advice,  Mary

I'm told that you need to sign up as soon as you board the ship.  Unfortunately, I've also been told that sign up differs by ship.  Some say call the dine line, some say you can sign up at passenger services, and the rest say to find the Maitre D and sign up.  I plan on calling the dine line as soon as I can and also seek out the Maitre D at dinner the first night.  I am told it is definitely worth the price and go really hungry.  I'm hoping to do it also next month.  

We did it on the Crown. The CT was "full", but we had a full table of CC members who wanted to do it and the organizer convince the Maitre D' to do a second night.

It was amazing. More food than you can comfortably eat, a cookbook and a rose for the ladies.

Part of the experience is hors d'oeuvres and a tour in the galley. You MUST wear closed toed shoes for this part. Lots of the women wore their walking shoes and changed into high heels after the tour.

The price is 15-20 dollars less if you don't drink wine.

Go to the Passenger Services desk as soon as you board to sign up. IIRC the limit is 12 people.

2 minutes ago, suekel said:

I'm told that you need to sign up as soon as you board the ship.  Unfortunately, I've also been told that sign up differs by ship.  Some say call the dine line, some say you can sign up at passenger services, and the rest say to find the Maitre D and sign up.  I plan on calling the dine line as soon as I can and also seek out the Maitre D at dinner the first night.  I am told it is definitely worth the price and go really hungry.  I'm hoping to do it also next month.  

If you wait till dinner, you may miss out.

In my reply above, I noted that the CT was full when our organizer went to Pax Services. He went as soon as he boarded and he was Elite.

There should be a sign up list at Pax Services.

How long is your cruise?

Depending on interest they could hold more than 1.

It's actually the Chefs Table Luminaire.

It is excellent and well worth the increased cost over the regular CT. 

See a Head Waiter in the DR during the embarkation lunch (Noon-1:30)

Or go to the PSD as noted in the prior post.

I agree with the earlier posts. We have done it twice  the Royal and it is a great experience, wonderful hors d' oeuvres in the galley, then an amazing dinner served by a terrific staff including the maître d' and the head chef describing each dish/ course. So popular on our last 15 TA they held at least 3. On the Royal again in Feb for 49 days around SA, plan to attend again. 

The trick is knowing ahead of time how to sign up. Waiting for the DINE number to be active vs finding someone with a sign up sheet is major. 4-5 cruises before you go, find people for your ship in role calls and ask them their experience. We have done it twice. The first was outstanding (see video) and the second was a letdown.  

On 12/4/2018 at 10:30 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

If you wait till dinner, you may miss out.

In my reply above, I noted that the CT was full when our organizer went to Pax Services. He went as soon as he boarded and he was Elite.

There should be a sign up list at Pax Services.

On a recent Coral sailing, we were in contact with The head of the food services on board to let him know we were reserving three tables over time. Once on board, we gave him the names and info for all those who wanted to participate.

We have done the chef's Table numerous times. I normally grab a house phone the minute I set for on the ship and call the dine line. They will tell you that they are taking your name but you will be notified later if you are chosen. Worth it!

I'll find out next month.  I am elite in a suite but I don't plan on boarding until early afternoon as there is stuff I want to do in SF before we board.  It's a fair trade off for me.  If not this cruise, then the one after!  

18 minutes ago, Bubbs33 said:

What are the chances of getting a spot at the Chef Table if you ate not Elite or in a suite. It seems those with priority boarding are better able to get on the list first. Enquiring minds would like to know.

As long as there are more people that want to do it, you should have no problem.

21 minutes ago, Bubbs33 said:

What are the chances of getting a spot at the Chef Table if you ate not Elite or in a suite. It seems those with priority boarding are better able to get on the list first. Enquiring minds would like to know.

The earlier you put your name down the better. IMO

I think you will have just a good a chance as anyone else.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:15 AM, runnerswife said:

How difficult is it to get a reservation for the chef's table?  Is it worth the price, which I believe

is somewhere around $110? We are on the Regal in April.

I realize that is a difficult question as everyone has their opinion,

but would like to hear what the experience is like.  Thanks for any advice,  Mary

You need to call the dine line and sign up as soon as you get on the ship

I'm Elite and I have not gotten to go on every cruise (though I've been on the list)

I often sail alone and I think that is part of the problem

I've done it 3 times, and yes it is worth the money. Its a truly wonderful experience. 

3 minutes ago, lois1112 said:

You need to call the dine line and sign up as soon as you get on the ship

I'm Elite and I have not gotten to go on every cruise (though I've been on the list)

I often sail alone and I think that is part of the problem

I've done it 3 times, and yes it is worth the money. Its a truly wonderful experience. 

I have never been able to even have the DINE line answer the phone on embarkation day.

IMO its clearly faster to hunt someone down or go to the PSD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbs33 said:

I am not saying a bribe to the correct person doesn't happen. But this is a plain money making event for the ship. As I recall, you were asked your name, cabin number and if any food allergies existed. 

3 hours ago, jlp20 said:

I am not saying a bribe to the correct person doesn't happen. But this is a plain money making event for the ship. As I recall, you were asked your name, cabin number and if any food allergies existed. 

On the Coral in September they indicated they no longer cater to any allergies. A few people who had allergies participated and had to skip some foods they were not sure of.

We’ve done the Chef’s table 3 times, a 100% success rate of trying to and getting to. We called the dine line upon embarkation and put our name on the list.  We then visit the Maitre d’hotel  in the afternoon during the posted hours in the patter.   We follow up personally every evening when we see the Maitre D’hotel at dinner to see how the table is filling.  

Once we had to rustle up a few folks to sign up 

I’d say it’s worth the effort even though once out of three times for us it was a bit less than. 

On 12/5/2018 at 3:05 PM, jlp20 said:

The trick is knowing ahead of time how to sign up. Waiting for the DINE number to be active vs finding someone with a sign up sheet is major. 4-5 cruises before you go, find people for your ship in role calls and ask them their experience. We have done it twice. The first was outstanding (see video) and the second was a letdown.  

What made your second Chef's Table a let down?  We've done 4 with Princess and 1 with P&O and have been very happy with them all.  Just curious.

7 hours ago, Bubbs33 said:

We aren't Elite or Suite (have only just risen to the giddy heights of Platinum) and we've always managed to be successful with the list.  It's first come, first served, or a ballot.  Neither of which will be influenced by your status.

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We’ve done the Chef’s table 3 times, a 100% success rate of trying to and getting to. We called the dine line upon embarkation and put our name on the list.  We then visit the Maitre d’hotel  in the afternoon during the posted hours in the patter.   We follow up personally every evening when we see the Maitre D’hotel at dinner to see how the table is filling.  

Once we had to rustle up a few folks to sign up 

I’d say it’s worth the effort even though once out of three times for us it was a bit less than. 

Same.  Get in early, and keep checking.

15 minutes ago, Mulgagirl said:

What made your second Chef's Table a let down?  We've done 4 with Princess and 1 with P&O and have been very happy with them all.  Just curious.

If you watch video again, about 60 seconds in the chef introduces himself. He is the Master Chef for entire fleet. He happened to be on board doing yearly inspection and was enjoying the entire meal. His sous chef for the meal was the head chef of the ship. For the 12 dinning; three chefs, four servers and a wine steward. All involved doing their best to impress us AND the Master Chef. The second time I can't recall who the host chef was, other than we seamed to be an annoyance to his day. Again the 12 at the table had; two chefs, two servers and a wine steward.  It just felt everyone involved were going through the motions. No flare and as though they couldn't wait for us to leave. Although a year apart, the menu was exactly the same.

3 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

If you watch video again, about 60 seconds in the chef introduces himself. He is the Master Chef for entire fleet. He happened to be on board doing yearly inspection and was enjoying the entire meal. His sous chef for the meal was the head chef of the ship. For the 12 dinning; three chefs, four servers and a wine steward. All involved doing their best to impress us AND the Master Chef. The second time I can't recall who the host chef was, other than we seamed to be an annoyance to his day. Again the 12 at the table had; two chefs, two servers and a wine steward.  It just felt everyone involved were going through the motions. No flare and as though they couldn't wait for us to leave. Although a year apart, the menu was exactly the same.

That's a shame.