Audio on Excursions

Xerxes10

Do Regent excursions typically use audio, such as QuietVox, so that tour guides can easily speak to attendees? If so, do you keep the same one for the entire cruise (like river cruises) or are they handed out separately for each excursion? Also, do they use the standard 3.5mm plug or something else for the earpiece? 

An audio device has not been used on any of the excursions that we’ve taken with Regent.  However, the excursions are managed by local entities and some may use their own audio devices.  Regent has never issued audio devices to passengers that we know of.

Aloha Xerxes,

Although Regent Seven Seas has never 'issued' any audio receivers used on excursions, the tour promoters or guides most often will issue a receiver and headset on the bus if you are going to be walking as a group inside or around an attraction that bares dialog.  The receivers normally do have an inexpensive detachable earphone with it.  I believe they are standard '3.5 mm' or mini phone jacks.  Quite often, I recall, the issued headset is yours to keep - being a hygiene concern.

full And, I won't repeat my plea in the other thread for Regent to provide these devices.  They are the difference between straining to her the guide without really being able to consider what is being describe versus really appreciating what we're seeing.  I don't get why they don't do this...

Edited by Portolan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Portolan said:

full And, I won't repeat my plea in the other thread for Regent to provide these devices.  They are the difference between straining to her the guide without really being able to consider what is being describe versus really appreciating what we're seeing.  I don't get why they don't do this...

Guessing it is cost.  In the places that we enjoy going (remote, out of the way places), I can understand that tour operators cannot afford to have these devices.  Regent could have them and allow passengers to borrow them and let tour operators do the same.  However, if there is an additional cost, or if they are not returned by the tour guide as well as the guests, In my opinion, it is not worth it.  

This is the first time that I have seen a request for audio devices so it makes one wonder how many passengers are interested.

AFAIR, Back in around  2008 the ship's  ShoreEx Dept had the QuietVox  system that they handed out on many excursion. But this didn't last for too long as a ship issued feature. Now only some tour operators use them, far too few in my opinion.

J

1.  JMARINER revived my recollection of having had these on Regent at some point.

2.  Expense:  bought an masse, the receivers can't cost more than $50...probably less.  The consumables are the ear buds (maybe $1 per passenger per cruise), so the cost is inconsequential compared to the thousands/tens of thousands the cruise costs.

3.  Execution:  it would be inefficient and impractical to require the hundreds, probably thousands, of the shore excursion operators to do this.  A practical and efficient model is how Tauck does it on their river cruises.  Each stateroom has a charging base in which the "whisperers" sit while not in use ensuring that they are charged up and ready to go.  This eliminates the cost and disposal issues for batteries.  The tour information for each day advises you whether or not to bring the devices.  The Tauck rep who accompanied each tour group has a kit bag with the transmitter for the guide and some spare ear buds and receivers for guests who have a problem.  The devices are very easy to use: confirm/set the channel and adjust the volume.

A Regent scenario could be much the same:  charging cradles in each suite with the devices.  Posting in Passages and on the tickets whether or not to bring the whispers.  Double-checking (and having spares) in the theater that passengers on the appropriate tours have their devices.  Note that many excursions would not need or benefit from having whispers like those which are entirely by bus or on a boat which has a PA system.  In particular, they are INCREDIBLY USEFUL on walking tours.  The Regent rep (which they always seem to have with walking tours for obvious reasons) has the kit bag as mentioned above.

Last point: you can really appreciate the value of these devices when used in a setting where propriety or rules prevent a guide from talking loudly to groups (museums, religious sites, etc.) because they can literally whisper the narrative and you'll hear it fine

• Like 1

I agree that audio devices are very useful and can make an excursion so much more enjoyable and informative.

The last time we had these on a Regent cruise was the summer before last in the Med. It was an included walking tour in Naples - the equipment was supplied by the tour operator.

Excellent suggestion from @Portolan as to how Regent might expand the use of audio devices on excursions.

Let us hope that Regent management seriously consider this idea and adopt it as soon as possible in order to enhance the experience of their guests 😎

Edited by flossie009

4 hours ago, Portolan said:

1.  JMARINER revived my recollection of having had these on Regent at some point.

2.  Expense:  bought an masse, the receivers can't cost more than $50...probably less.  The consumables are the ear buds (maybe $1 per passenger per cruise), so the cost is inconsequential compared to the thousands/tens of thousands the cruise costs.

3.  Execution:  it would be inefficient and impractical to require the hundreds, probably thousands, of the shore excursion operators to do this.  A practical and efficient model is how Tauck does it on their river cruises.  Each stateroom has a charging base in which the "whisperers" sit while not in use ensuring that they are charged up and ready to go.  This eliminates the cost and disposal issues for batteries.  The tour information for each day advises you whether or not to bring the devices.  The Tauck rep who accompanied each tour group has a kit bag with the transmitter for the guide and some spare ear buds and receivers for guests who have a problem.  The devices are very easy to use: confirm/set the channel and adjust the volume.

A Regent scenario could be much the same:  charging cradles in each suite with the devices.  Posting in Passages and on the tickets whether or not to bring the whispers.  Double-checking (and having spares) in the theater that passengers on the appropriate tours have their devices.  Note that many excursions would not need or benefit from having whispers like those which are entirely by bus or on a boat which has a PA system.  In particular, they are INCREDIBLY USEFUL on walking tours.  The Regent rep (which they always seem to have with walking tours for obvious reasons) has the kit bag as mentioned above.

Last point: you can really appreciate the value of these devices when used in a setting where propriety or rules prevent a guide from talking loudly to groups (museums, religious sites, etc.) because they can literally whisper the narrative and you'll hear it fine

+1 for these ideas....even on busses and boats these would be useful as the PA systems often leave much to be desired.   In addition, some people want commentary, some don’t, as is the case with me and my husband,  I’m an information junkie and he likes to drink in the sights in quiet.  He is also very sound sensitive so having the ability to modulate the audio would be a big plus.  

For Regent, this expense would set them apart from other luxury lines.   I like very much the system that Portolan described that Tauck uses.   

• Like 2

On 12/6/2018 at 8:56 AM, Portolan said:

On 12/6/2018 at 1:18 PM, forgap said:

+1 for these ideas....even on busses and boats these would be useful as the PA systems often leave much to be desired.   In addition, some people want commentary, some don’t, as is the case with me and my husband,  I’m an information junkie and he likes to drink in the sights in quiet.  He is also very sound sensitive so having the ability to modulate the audio would be a big plus.  

For Regent, this expense would set them apart from other luxury lines.   I like very much the system that Portolan described that Tauck uses.   

Works exactly the same way on Viking Ocean and is a huge value-add for shore excursions of all types.   As others have noted, I’m surprised that Regent doesn’t offer.

As I said in the other thread, it would be very complicated, but I'd like to think that Regent could try implementing such a thing, even on a limited basis, excursion by excursion, or port by port.  Would definitely be worth it in some places.

I'm remembering a "Choice" excursion in Salvador de Bahia, Brazil, when our route was basically the same as all the other excursioners, through churches and other historical buildings, and city squares.  It was not well-thought out, but Whispers or other similar devices would have helped.

So while we're at it, how about they re-arrange their schedules so that all the excursions don't leave at the same time, and follow the same route