Passports for Grand Turk

SlvrFox85

I've searched this forum as well as many other sites across the internet and I can't seem to get a straight answer. I am going on a cruise soon with my wife and 3 kids, ranging from 6 to 12. The wife and I both have passports, however, our children do not. This will be their first vacation outside of the United States and may be their last for awhile due to various reasons so we did not see the need to get passports on a limited budget and about 9 months to plan this trip.

My main question is with Grand Turk. Will they need passports to get on and off the ship? I realize that Carnival Cruise Line website says that closed loop cruises do not require passports. However, I read on the Turks and Caicos website that they were required for entry. We sail on the Carnival Magic on December 16 so it is kind of late in the game. When first reading about it I went with what the cruise line had on their website, but after reading about a couple that didn't have required documents for part of their cruise (found out mid way in) that they were kicked off the cruise and sent home. I did read through other forums on here and it seems that children are not required to have them as long as they are cruising but for whatever reason we cannot get back on the ship due to an emergency it may be pricey and take a bit of time to get back to the United States.

Any help and clarifying guidance would be helpful. Again, I realize getting the passports may have been the easier thing to do, but in reality with our budget and the premise that they may not do any travelling again any time soon it didn't seem like that big of deal. I may just be getting the jitters as this is our first big trip and first cruise ever.

Thank you so much.

As stated, you don't need passports for Grand Turk as a cruise ship passenger. 

If you are on a limited budget with kids,  Grand Turk has a nice pool for kids that is inside the port area.  I think its run by Margaretville.  Its free to use the pool and the chairs, they will come around and sell you food / drinks but you are not required...in fact we have more problems flagging servers down than being harassed by them.

The pool is relatively shallow with a zero entry side for real small kids.  Its right there as you get off the ship and walk through the first set of shops.  There is also a small beach there.

Have a great time!

On 12/4/2018 at 8:38 PM, SlvrFox85 said:

Will they need passports to get on and off the ship? I realize that Carnival Cruise Line website says that closed loop cruises do not require passports. However, I read on the Turks and Caicos website that they were required for entry.

This is true, but it is for tourist entry to the Turks & Caicos.

You will be an "in transit" ship passenger, not a tourist...hence the passport requirement does not apply.

This "in transit" status is true for all ports in the Caribbean with the exception of Cuba and St. Barts, and it applies to US citizens on closed loop cruises...as you have read.