Galveston plans third cruise terminal, with Royal Caribbean as operator

pspercy

Oasis class moves to Galveston.

Sure hope they do something about infrastructure, hotels that don't charge a two-night minimum, more rental car agencies on the island open on Sunday that take one-way rentals , etc.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Won't that eliminate GC and Belize as ports?

At least temporarily.  I keep hearing that GC is considering a pier, but I'm not sure how serious that is.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

At least temporarily.  I keep hearing that GC is considering a pier, but I'm not sure how serious that is.

Same here.  The last time we were there we chatted with some locals who told us that they will never, ever build a pier; too much local opposition.  Guess we'll see....

When Oasis is in the Med. this summer it's pretty much the same itinerary week after week. 

A lot of frequent TX cruisers have been to all the ports anyways so... the ship is the destination - right?

If this continues to progress it will be interesting to see what they do and what other ships do.  Will Liberty move?   Will other ships offer longer itineraries to spice things up?  Perfect Day from TX?  

8 hours ago, pspercy said:

But will they do anything imaginative with itineraries or more of the same ?

Exactly,  I would be excited about this if they offered longer Eastern or Southern itineraries out of Galveston, but the same 'ol Western routes make me exclude Galveston completely.

We had a wonderful time on the Liberty this past New Years, but were reminded again that we prefer the Eastern Caribbean.  Our only option for Western ports is to find a good all inclusive for the day.  It's not about the port or surrounding area in that case though, which is a bummer.  The Eastern islands are just better suited to exploring the islands IMO.

Dan

7 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Sure hope they do something about infrastructure, hotels that don't charge a two-night minimum, more rental car agencies on the island open on Sunday that take one-way rentals , etc.

Amen to that.  Galveston is just plain harder to deal with right now for those of us who need to fly in.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Same here.  The last time we were there we chatted with some locals who told us that they will never, ever build a pier; too much local opposition.  Guess we'll see....

I thought the reason was that the pier would damage the reefs?

At least that's what I was told from a guy.....that knew a guy...that had a friend...that knew things.

41 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I thought the reason was that the pier would damage the reefs?

At least that's what I was told from a guy.....that knew a guy...that had a friend...that knew things.

Yes, that is exactly why so many locals oppose it.

11 hours ago, pspercy said:

But will they do anything imaginative with itineraries or more of the same ?

Enchantment just released her Galveston 7 Days and a few go to Key West, Nassua and Perfect Day Cocoa Cay.  So it does appear there will be some new runs in Galveston.

11 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Just what I was thinking. Florida spoils you, especially rental car wise, but it's like the stone age in Galveston.

5 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

Just what I was thinking. Florida spoils you, especially rental car wise, but it's like the stone age in Galveston.

Totally agree, I'd take any port in Florida, New Orleans, San Pedro, Seattle, and beautiful gorgeous Newark over Galveston. 

• Like 2

Galveston is great for local Texas traffic.  It's a quick drive from Dallas, Austin, Houston and San Antonio.  Lots of demand in the area and should have no problem filling up an Oasis class ship.  Interested to see the itineraries but will definitely book just for the ship and the convenience of the port.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I only live 1.5 hours away, and I would like to be able to book a hotel for just one weekend night for a quick getaway.

2 hours ago, vettecruiser1 said:

Enchantment just released her Galveston 7 Days and a few go to Key West, Nassua and Perfect Day Cocoa Cay.  So it does appear there will be some new runs in Galveston.

Hopefully many new runs.  Hoping for longer voyages to places further away.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Totally agree, I'd take any port in Florida, New Orleans, San Pedro, Seattle, and beautiful gorgeous Newark over Galveston. 

Even though I do understand what you are saying-feelings still hurt☹️.  I know, I know, the truth hurts.😉

11 minutes ago, luv2sailAgain said:

☹️I only live 1.5 hours away, and I would like to be able to book a hotel for just one weekend night for a quick getaway. ...

Well, assuming you are driving, you can easily stay nearby, like Texas City or Clear Lake, and avoid the 2-night minimum.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Well, assuming you are driving, you can easily stay nearby, like Texas City or Clear Lake, and avoid the 2-night minimum.

I like to stay on the beach - even if it isn't the best one in the world.  Instead of Clear Lake, I would head to Austin or Marble Falls in the hill country.

7 minutes ago, luv2sailAgain said:

I like to stay on the beach - even if it isn't the best one in the world.  Instead of Clear Lake, I would head to Austin or Marble Falls in the hill country.

Those are not close to the port, are they?

Sorry, I got off topic.  I meant quick getaways for me instead of Clear Lake. No, Austin and Marble Falls are not close to the port. Clear Lake would be a better choice for people flying into Houston and cruising.

Maybe 7 day cruises would leave Saturday and Sunday should the new terminal come to pass.  Then, hopefully, the hotels would give up the two day thing. 

7 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

The Liberty in Galveston has started to run its course.

Soon it will need to be replaced with something bigger & better..

She's a wonderful, wonderful ship but I agree.  Getting "long in the tooth" simply because the Liberty has been there so long.

Dan

• Like 1