Galveston plans third cruise terminal, with Royal Caribbean as operator

pspercy

5 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Totally agree, I'd take any port in Florida, New Orleans, San Pedro, Seattle, and beautiful gorgeous Newark over Galveston. 

Well somebody is cruising out of Galveston... it's the 4th largest Cruise port in the US now... when they add a 3rd terminal and it could jump another notch. I'm not sure about all of the talk of two day minimums on hotels.  I'm sure it happens on traditional busy weekends but it's the same everywhere else too. In fact, in February, we have a two night min in Miami due to the boat show. My point is there are plenty of weekends that this does not occur. Now w/ regards to the rental car agencies....I couldn't tell you. They're too much of a hassle. Rideshare is the new rental car. Uber X is roughly $65 one way from Bush, $35 from Hobby.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Well somebody is cruising out of Galveston... 

Sure, never said otherwise. Huge metro area for drive-in cruisers.  However, it's still the most inconvenient US Royal port for the fly-in cruiser. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Well somebody is cruising out of Galveston... it's the 4th largest Cruise port in the US now... when they add a 3rd terminal and it could jump another notch. I'm not sure about all of the talk of two day minimums on hotels.  I'm sure it happens on traditional busy weekends but it's the same everywhere else too. In fact, in February, we have a two night min in Miami due to the boat show. My point is there are plenty of weekends that this does not occur.

Is that true? I was advise on the Gulf Coast departure threads that weekends are always a 2 night minimum stay. The info came from Galveston residents so I assume it to be true.

It's usually not as issue for me as I like to have a little pre-cruise vacation from my departure port. But as it turns out, I was sailing the first weekend in November during the Lone Star Biker Rally when the hotels required a 3 night minimum.....and with 400,000 bikers in town, rooms were scarce and expensive.

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

The Liberty in Galveston has started to run its course.

Soon it will need to be replaced with something bigger & better..

Once the new terminal is complete, will Royal move all sailings to the new and abandon the old terminal?  Or will it continue to use both?

If it's the latter, they might keep Liberty there full time in addition to Oasis-class.

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Is that true? I was advise on the Gulf Coast departure threads that weekends are always a 2 night minimum stay. The info came from Galveston residents so I assume it to be true.

It's usually not as issue for me as I like to have a little pre-cruise vacation from my departure port. But as it turns out, I was sailing the first weekend in November during the Lone Star Biker Rally when the hotels required a 3 night minimum.....and with 400,000 bikers in town, rooms were scarce and expensive.

True if for weekends like Dickens on the Strand, but not often otherwise. If it affects your weekend stay up around NASA, usually lots of choice around there,

Edited by pspercy

8 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Is that true? I was advise on the Gulf Coast departure threads that weekends are always a 2 night minimum stay. ...

Our experience has been that there are some hotels that don't do the 2-night thing, but the nicest hotels that are closest to the cruise port generally do.

Living in Fort Worth area I can't wait for the Oasis class to come here. It's my wife's favorite class of ships so it could get us on cruises more often.

We drive down a day  early and stay near NASA. Decent rates and the next days drive is only about 30 minutes. 

Edited by dwayneb236

14 hours ago, luv2sailAgain said:

Sorry, I got off topic.  I meant quick getaways for me instead of Clear Lake. No, Austin and Marble Falls are not close to the port. Clear Lake would be a better choice for people flying into Houston and cruising.

Maybe 7 day cruises would leave Saturday and Sunday should the new terminal come to pass.  Then, hopefully, the hotels would give up the two day thing. 

We are flying into IAH February 2019 on a Saturday for a Sunday cruise. I currently have a hotel room booked in Beaumont (in case we decide to visit a friend there), one in Texas City and one in Galveston. I would like to make a final decision and cancel the other reservations. Now you throw in another idea. Tell me more why you would suggest Clear Lake. 

Edited by FrankNBrew

37 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

We are flying into IAH February 2019 on a Saturday for a Sunday cruise. I currently have a hotel room booked in Beaumont (in case we decide to visit a friend there), one in Texas City and one in Galveston. I would like to make a final decision and cancel the other reservations. Now you throw in another idea. Tell me more why you would suggest Clear Lake. 

There is a good reason for two night stays! 

There  is so much to do on the Island .

If you want to vacation  versus a one time night crash..... stay on the island . 

I can say there is more to do on Galveston Island than in  most ports of call destinations , you will visit on you’re cruises . 

Galveston is a major tourist destination . 

Events and times of year affecting lodging rates are : 

High Summer Season 

Spring Break 

Lone Star Motorcycle Rally 

Dickens on Strand 

Mardi Gras 

Feather Fest (birding) 

Many Smaller festivals , fun runs and etc. 

Large Conventions at two convention centers.  

Weekends with great weather for day trippers    

from all over the Great State of Texas . 

Weekends with three or four cruise ships 

Two night minimums are economic driven . 

Nothing set in stone by policy or laws .  

New hotels have been built, do you’re homework . One night stays are available . Galveston is a wonderful destination, that’s why it’s in demand .

Come for a stay before and after the cruise , like we do traveling to far away places . We just do not go for the cruise . 

Edited by ssb

1 hour ago, dwayneb236 said:

Living in Fort Worth area I can't wait for the Oasis class to come here. It's my wife's favorite class of ships so it could get us on cruises more often.

We drive down a day  early and stay near NASA. Decent rates and the next days drive is only about 30 minutes. 

That’s our situation as well. Love Oasis class, and driving from Dallas we generally stay the night in Clear Lake at the NASA Hilton and have a quick 25-30 minute drive embarkation morning. 

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

That’s our situation as well. Love Oasis class, and driving from Dallas we generally stay the night in Clear Lake at the NASA Hilton and have a quick 25-30 minute drive embarkation morning. 

Yes For a one night crash , 

stay on Mainland . 

18 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Sure, never said otherwise. Huge metro area for drive-in cruisers.  However, it's still the most inconvenient US Royal port for the fly-in cruiser. 

And likewise, the ports in Florida are the most inconvenient to drive to. I mean Texas is centrally located (East/West) while the Florida costs aren't, especially the Miami & Ft. Lauderdale. And the cruises we've been to in Galveston we've met many, many cruisers from out of state that flew in etc. I guess one's perspective on convenience is where one is traveling from. We're in Houston and we're about to spend a half a day of travel (if not more) and about $750 to cruise out of Miami. Such as it is. 

17 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Yes, it's true. There are known weekends where two nights minimums are required. These include but are not limited to the following: 

Memorial Day weekend

Labor Day Weekend

Mardi Gras

Christmas on the Strand

Lone Star Rally

I'm sure there are other weekends sprinkled in but these come to mind quickly. Try finding a one night room in Ft Lauderdale during spring break, Memorial & Labor Day weekends or a one night stay in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Like I said in an earlier post, the weekend we're crusing out of Miami, there is either a two night minimum or close to $300/night for something not much better than a Best Western. So pick your poison. One night minimums are not what most believe they are these days. I'm looking forward to a new ship and new itineraries for Galveston. And don't fret it folks. While Galveston Island is not Ft Lauderdale, but I can assure you, it's better than cruising out of Jersey. Peace out!

17 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

And likewise, the ports in Florida are the most inconvenient to drive to. ...

You are comparing apples to oranges.  I'm comparing flying to Florida for a cruise vs flying to Galveston for a cruise.

That extra half hour to arrive at a port isn't all that bad and who doesn't mind an extra day of fun while vacationing? It sure sounds like to me that you didn't enjoy what Texas had to offer.  Which is a shame. I tell you what, if you ever make it to Texas again, we'd love to meet up with y'all and extend some good Texas hosptality and show y'all  a good time. I'm very serious and sure would enjoy it. 🙂 

I'm guessing since RCCL is financing it will be more than just a 1 ship port.  Like its been said they already have a few 4,4,5 nighters but my guess will be RCCL on Sun for 7 nighters and maybe Celebrity on Sat with an "M" class ship.  Then maybe have a 10/11 night ship (friday/Monday) departures or 9/5 night ship (friday/sunday).  If they are paying 100 million they need ROI real bad, I dont think 1 ship will do.

Then that opens up the terminal they use now for NCL/Princess/HAL.  More competition, better rates.....Hopefully 🙂 

I prefer to fly in and rent a car and check out the area when I arrive early for a cruise. I'm paying $40 a day for a one way rental car in FLL this February . That's in the high range for Florida.  Just checked the rental car rate from IAH to Galveston was $250 and this didn't involve a Sunday.  

20 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

I prefer to fly in and rent a car and check out the area when I arrive early for a cruise. I'm paying $40 a day for a one way rental car in FLL this February . That's in the high range for Florida.  Just checked the rental car rate from IAH to Galveston was $250 and this didn't involve a Sunday.  

Budget, SUV pick up on 2/9 @ Bush International, drop on 2/10 Texas City Mall (15 miles N of Galveston) $37/day .... Galveston is an island and you really don't need a rental car but if you do you have options.... you don't need to spend $250 bucks that's for sure! 

8 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Budget, SUV pick up on 2/9 @ Bush International, drop on 2/10 Texas City Mall (15 miles N of Galveston) $37/day .... Galveston is an island and you really don't need a rental car but if you do you have options.... you don't need to spend $250 bucks that's for sure! 

And then I have to pay to get a ride to the cruise terminal on the other side of the bridge.   I'm dropping my

rental off at Port Everglades with a half mile free ride to the ship.  Galveston is set up for drive ins, not independent fly ins.

Edited by bilyclub
finish sentence

$37 rental + $15 uber ride w/ a 15 min to the cruise terminal = $52. That's $198 less than what you posted. 

You posted it was $250 to drop a car in Galveston which is flat out a distortion of reality.

If you don't like crising out of Galveston... fine...that's on you.  But there is no reason to blatantly falsify data in an effort to supoort your personal dislikes. 

Whether you accept it or not, each week 1,000s of people fly into Houston and board ships out of Galveston. Thousands. There will be 1,000s more when the new terminal is completed. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Speaking of distortion. I saw this in the Gulf Coast Departures which has a lot of threads about the terrible rental car situation in Galveston.

f you take this option be careful which location you rent from - ours was Budget in Texas City which turned out to be a $50 cab ride from the pier.