Galveston plans third cruise terminal, with Royal Caribbean as operator

pspercy

8 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

You are comparing apples to oranges.  I'm comparing flying to Florida for a cruise vs flying to Galveston for a cruise.

I have to agree with Bob. If I have to fly to a port - with the extra cost, luggage restrictions, overnight hotel - I'll pick Florida. There is much more variety of cruise lines, types of ships and itineraries. It's the cruise capital of the world.

Right now, the ships & itineraries out of Galveston are limited. That's not a knock against Texas. I could drive 75 minutes south of my house and be in Bayonne NJ and eliminate the flying hassle. But again, my choice of ships and itineraries is limited. I'd rather sail from Florida. I'm actually baffled as to why someone would fly to NY/NJ to cruise, unless they were pre/post vacation in NYC or really wanted to sail Anthem.

FYI - I sail Liberty out of Galveston last month. Great crew, great ship and met a lot of great passengers, mostly from the great country of Texas!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

That extra half hour to arrive at a port isn't all that bad and who doesn't mind an extra day of fun while vacationing? It sure sounds like to me that you didn't enjoy what Texas had to offer.  Which is a shame. I tell you what, if you ever make it to Texas again, we'd love to meet up with y'all and extend some good Texas hosptality and show y'all  a good time. I'm very serious and sure would enjoy it. 🙂 

My daughter moved to Houston about 2 years ago and I've been there 6 times since then. Made 2 trips down to Galveston (including one for my recent cruise last month). Probably will visit her 3 more times on 2019 so I may take you up on your offer.

Love the warm hospitality, bouncing around downtown, midtown, near town and all the other towns, love the BBQ, having a beer at an Icehouse and probably the best Tex-Mex food I've ever eaten. Could do without the humidity. And while Astro fan can get a little  boastful (rightly so), they are not nearly as bad a Red Sox fans are to this NYY fan. All you need is a NHL team in H-town.

I've enjoyed my trips to Texas so much I've actually started using words like "fixin" in every day conversation. For my 2019 trips, I'm fixin to expand geographically and visit Austin & San Antonio.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Whether you accept it or not, each week 1,000s of people fly into Houston and board ships out of Galveston. Thousands. There will be 1,000s more when the new terminal is completed. 

I don't think anyone is saying that it's impossible to fly-in to Galveston, it's just not as convenient as other ports for air travelers. Lack of one-way car rentals deter people like me. I like to fly in a few days early for a pre-cruise vacation & have a car makes it easier. But to leave the island to return the car 30 minutes away, then Uber back is an unnecessary hassle, especially  when hauling 10-12 days worth of luggage.  Maybe that will change with the new terminal. Fortunately I had my daughter in Houston to drive us in.

Galveston is considered a "local port" with mainly drive-ins. My last cruise, close to 75% (3,000 out of 4,000 passengers) were from Texas. When I cruise from Florida, I'm meeting people from all over the country and world.  I kind of like that. That's not a knock against Texas either. One of the reason I'm hesitant to sail from Jersey is that there are too many NY/NJ people (I'm born, raised and still live in NY state).....it doesn't feel like I'm on an exotic vacation when someone wants to "axe me a question" :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BSocial said:

I’ve come to expect negative postings  to every thread about Galveston Port expansion. 

It would be nice if people would be happy for the Galveston cruisers with the news of a new terminal and an Oasis class.   I was happy for cruisers from Miami when their new terminal was announced.   Why do folks want to diminish others’ joy? 

I don't think people are hating on Galveston.  At least I'm not. Just pointing out that it's not the most convenient  for air travelers. The fact that Oasis-class is coming increases the passenger capacity by 50% so the demand is there. Hopefully there will be some additional itineraries and longer cruises. I have family in Houston so I'm sure I'll be sailing from there again & I'm looking forward to it!

Latest articles indicate Fall 2021 (instead of 2020) for Terminal 3 completion.   Any thoughts on whether Liberty will remain in Galveston until then ?

I would think so. She is sailing at capacity now and spending major $$$ to bring in a bigger ship. So I doubt they will replace her with a smaller ship.

I guess we'll find out in a few days.

6 hours ago, BSocial said:

I’ve come to expect negative postings  to every thread about Galveston Port expansion.  But think about it - to be the 4th largest cruise port in the US,  there are millions of happy cruisers annually.  Cruise lines are continuing to invest in Galveston, and they would not bother without a firmly-entrenched cruise market.   

It would be nice if people would be happy for the Galveston cruisers with the news of a new terminal and an Oasis class.   I was happy for cruisers from Miami when their new terminal was announced.   Why do folks want to diminish others’ joy?  

Others see new cruise ships as a zero sum game.  If Galveston gets a new ship, then someone else does not get it.  Same thing happened in China.  On NCL the people really diminished the joy of the Chinese, especially since the new ship going there was the Norwegian Joy.

2 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Same idea, if Galveston gets Allure, then some other port did not get Allure.

Correct, but if Galveston gets Allure, who ever has Allure could easily be getting an upgrade.  The wild card is Australia. They also think they're getting one.

Right.  The point is, if one port gets something, then someone else does not.  This was in answer to why are people upset when Galveston gets an upgrade.  I like when new ships go to far away ports, gives me an additional excuse to go there.  Our closest port in the US is NJ, but I am indifferent to an Oasis class ship showing up since I have done all the itineraries out of NJ a couple of times.  Looking to do a Western Caribbean itinerary on an Oasis class ship if possible, either from Florida or Galveston, whichever is easier.

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I'm actually baffled as to why someone would fly to NY/NJ to cruise, unless they were pre/post vacation in NYC or really wanted to sail Anthem.

Agree.  The only thing that attracts us to NY/NJ is that we can save money driving (long drive but manageable) and that we haven't sailed on Anthem.  The big problem with NY/NJ is the weather (very limited warm and sunny months), and that it takes a couple of days at the beginning and end of the cruise just to get to the Caribbean.

Dan

Royal Caribbean is posturing for the next 60 years in the expansive and untapped market place of the Cruising Industry.

Galveston is not about the past or present experiences. Royal Caribbean is looking forward to the future . Galveston is at the doorstep of the entire midwest corridor of US. Houston soon, if not now, is the 3rd largest city in the US.  Five of the fifteen  fastest growing cities in the US are in TEXAS. Natural Southern migration is a happening occurance. People want to be near the water.  

Galveston has 32 miles of beach on Gulf of Mexico, and has  two first class convention centers. Harborside projects have begun with beautification improvements and new ingress/egress and rerouting with terminals. A new multi-story parking garage is being built for terminals #1 & #2. Terminal # 3 is underway with new parking ground and elevated garages. The Highway system between Houston and Galveston is under massive expansion and partially completed. . Cruise passenger transfers between Houston and Galveston have greatly improved with better cruise line's transfers and with other private shuttle companies. Houston has two international airports with major hubs, and with short distances to Galveston Island.. The movement of ships issue during fog is somewhat resolved now from litigation between the Cruise Lines and the Pilots.  Galveston Island is already a major tourist destination with ample tourist infrastructure support.

Galveston is known for its rich vibrant history as well as its strong commitment to building a better future. The Island hosts over 7 million visitors a year who are attracted to the same features,  that brought visitors over a 100 years ago – the Island’s natural beauty, nature tourism activities, Victorian Homes, cultural history,  many large festivals, first-class hotels and restaurants, arts & cultural activities, historical museums and fantastic recreational and outdoor attractions.

There is more to do on Galveston Island than most cruise destinations,

Royal recognizes the future potential of partnering with Galveston in the Great State of Texas and beyond. Galveston's has strategic geographic location and directly on Gulf of Mexico, aggressive new management at City, Park Board, Wharves Board,   and recent hire Roger Rees from Port Canaveral leading the charge. Royal was instrumental in Roger being at the helm in Galveston . It's happening folks. Other cruise lines, and more terminals, and more port destinations and possible future port of call for Galveston proper. Time is on our side . The Future ! Thinking is big and in process.    

Edited by ssb

From a Houston Chronicle article yesterday:

"...Bayley said Galveston is an appealing port because it gives many people in Texas, Oklahoma and other nearby states an opportunity to drive to their tropical vacations..."

key word "drive"

17 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

$37 rental + $15 uber ride w/ a 15 min to the cruise terminal = $52. That's $198 less than what you posted. 

You posted it was $250 to drop a car in Galveston which is flat out a distortion of reality.

If you don't like crising out of Galveston... fine...that's on you.  But there is no reason to blatantly falsify data in an effort to supoort your personal dislikes. 

Whether you accept it or not, each week 1,000s of people fly into Houston and board ships out of Galveston. Thousands. There will be 1,000s more when the new terminal is completed. 

I went to the Budget website and that $37 does not include taxes and fees, which brings the price up to $62.00. Also the Uber estimate of $15 is from the center of Texas City. From the Sears Budget counter it's closer to $20. 

FYI, I reserved a full size vehicle from Budget for $49, taxes and fees included, through Costco. 

That extra $12 will buy me a foo foo drink on my cruise.

46 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Agree.  The only thing that attracts us to NY/NJ is that we can save money driving (long drive but manageable) and that we haven't sailed on Anthem.  The big problem with NY/NJ is the weather (very limited warm and sunny months), and that it takes a couple of days at the beginning and end of the cruise just to get to the Caribbean.

Dan

I only sailed the Anthem once out of NJ, in early May. It was blustery cold on sail away. She is actually the perfect ship for the that type of climate, plenty of indoor attractions to keep the family busy on the cooler days.

If you can swing it, give her a shot.  I personally liked the 9 day itinerary with 2 extra at-sea days.

10 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

key word "drive"

Yes presently that is the present driving attribute of Galveston.

As supply expands, demands from fly ins will be commensurate.

Our free enterprise marketplace will  react .   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ssb said:

Yes presently that is the present driving attribute of Galveston.

As supply expands, demands from fly ins will be commensurate.

Our free enterprise marketplace will  react . 

First, I never properly thanked you for the advice you gave me on how to best navigate traffic getting to the Galveston cruise terminal during Lone Star Rally weekend. So thank you!

Second, no doubt that Royal sees much untapped potential in Texas as another access point to the Caribbean.  I've already seen the highway work being done to accommodate the extra traffic from Houston to Galveston and have no doubt that once all of the infrastructure work is compete in 2021, getting in/out of the terminal itself will be much easier. 

I look forward to cruising there and enjoying a few days pre-cruise in Galveston itself. Be interesting to see what some of the new itineraries will be, if any. It wold be great if they would offer something in the 9-12 day range.

Would love to see oasis class here , but agree we need more decent hotels that you do not need to book for two nights, but I will take Galveston over cape caniveral, bothare about 40 mins from airport and at least Galveston has some decent hotels. Next year will be first in 5 years we will not sail rccl. 

Just now, George C said:

Would love to see oasis class here , but agree we need more decent hotels that you do not need to book for two nights, but I will take Galveston over cape caniveral, bothare about 40 mins from airport and at least Galveston has some decent hotels. Next year will be first in 5 years we will not sail rccl. 

I've had no problem with multiple hotels in the Port Canaveral area. 

31 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

First, I never properly thanked you for the advice you gave me on how to best navigate traffic getting to the Galveston cruise terminal during Lone Star Rally weekend. So thank you!

Second, no doubt that Royal sees much untapped potential in Texas as another access point to the Caribbean.  I've already seen the highway work being done to accommodate the extra traffic from Houston to Galveston and have no doubt that once all of the infrastructure work is compete in 2021, getting in/out of the terminal itself will be much easier. 

I look forward to cruising there and enjoying a few days pre-cruise in Galveston itself. Be interesting to see what some of the new itineraries will be, if any. It wold be great if they would offer something in the 9-12 day range.

Wow!  Thanks so much !

A positive nice comment. 

Western, Eastern, Southern Caribbean , Gulf Coast Ports. Cuba, Canal  certainly will be in consideration. 

Competition will demand it .

in meantime we are doing Canada Cuba TA's and Repo's   

BTW I heard at recent cruising symposium , an expert say 

less than three percent of the potential cruising marketplace is tapped.   

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I've had no problem with multiple hotels in the Port Canaveral area. 

With all due respect . Come and stay awhile for a vacation,  

and a cruise. We are cruisers and travelers also. There are a plenty of willingly experienced Galveston cruisers here and members of the wharves board and members of the visitors center  , that would love to show you around.

We cruise with them frequently.

That is an invitation from us to you! 

Edited by ssb

SSB, 

I have to compliment you on your eloquent post (#89 above).   You are a wonderful ambassador for this area.   

I was was glad to read from your post that Terminal #3 will also have elevated garage parking!  That is great news.  

1 hour ago, ssb said:

Royal Caribbean is posturing for the next 60 years in the expansive and untapped market place of the Cruising Industry.

Galveston is not about the past or present experiences. Royal Caribbean is looking forward to the future . Galveston is at the doorstep of the entire midwest corridor of US. Houston soon, if not now, is the 3rd largest city in the US.  Five of the fifteen  fastest growing cities in the US are in TEXAS. Natural Southern migration is a happening occurance. People want to be near the water.  

Galveston has 32 miles of beach on Gulf of Mexico, and has  two first class convention centers. Harborside projects have begun with beautification improvements and new ingress/egress and rerouting with terminals. A new multi-story parking garage is being built for terminals #1 & #2. Terminal # 3 is underway with new parking ground and elevated garages. The Highway system between Houston and Galveston is under massive expansion and partially completed. . Cruise passenger transfers between Houston and Galveston have greatly improved with better cruise line's transfers and with other private shuttle companies. Houston has two international airports with major hubs, and with short distances to Galveston Island.. The movement of ships issue during fog is somewhat resolved now from litigation between the Cruise Lines and the Pilots.  Galveston Island is already a major tourist destination with ample tourist infrastructure support.

Galveston is known for its rich vibrant history as well as its strong commitment to building a better future. The Island hosts over 7 million visitors a year who are attracted to the same features,  that brought visitors over a 100 years ago – the Island’s natural beauty, nature tourism activities, Victorian Homes, cultural history,  many large festivals, first-class hotels and restaurants, arts & cultural activities, historical museums and fantastic recreational and outdoor attractions.

There is more to do on Galveston Island than most cruise destinations,

Royal recognizes the future potential of partnering with Galveston in the Great State of Texas and beyond. Galveston's has strategic geographic location and directly on Gulf of Mexico, aggressive new management at City, Park Board, Wharves Board,   and recent hire Roger Rees from Port Canaveral leading the charge. Royal was instrumental in Roger being at the helm in Galveston . It's happening folks. Other cruise lines, and more terminals, and more port destinations and possible future port of call for Galveston proper. Time is on our side . The Future ! Thinking is big and in process.    

See post #61