Tip wanted for Royal Caribbean please

Although we have cruised a few times before, this year we are going with Royal Caribbean for the first time.

The ship we are going on is Explorer of the Seas around the South Pacific.  Can our fellow cruisers give us any tips on Royal Caribbean in general.  I.E. do they have formal nights, and how formal are they for example smart suit or tuxedo? 

Is there anything we should look out for, or pack to be prepared for.  Each cruise company runs a bit differently and I was hoping to get idea's that might help us prepare to get the best out of the cruise.

Many thanks

Angela & Jeremy

9 hours ago, PinkJellyBaby said:

Although we have cruised a few times before, this year we are going with Royal Caribbean for the first time.

The ship we are going on is Explorer of the Seas around the South Pacific.  Can our fellow cruisers give us any tips on Royal Caribbean in general.  I.E. do they have formal nights, and how formal are they for example smart suit or tuxedo? 

Is there anything we should look out for, or pack to be prepared for.  Each cruise company runs a bit differently and I was hoping to get idea's that might help us prepare to get the best out of the cruise.

Many thanks

Angela & Jeremy

Usually 1-2 formal nights.you can dress up as much as you like.some people dress up like a leg of lamb and they look good.some people don’t bother but the MDR has a dress standard on that night.

Explorer is a lovely ship.you are allowed to take 2 bottles of wine and 6 none alcoholic bottles or cans no more than 500m with your on embarkation day.

In Australia there’s a kettle in your cabin,tea bags but no coffee.we take a coffee plunger.

Tips should be included in the fare, the on board account will be in USD, drinks should be priced so that the 18% gratuity is already included but it isn't always, so check on your first couple of drinks. Get onto the rollcall, especially if you want to join any private excursions.

My suggestions for the islands (Mystery, Lifou, Isle of Pines) is swimming, snorkelling etc which is easy enough on your own. However for Noumea there are a few other options that don't include the beach/water so check them out.

Hi Chillburn,  What no coffee lol.  Now that is golden information.  We will definitely come prepared for that.  And bring the tux, he doesn't get enough opportunity to wear it, so we will bring it.

Thank you so much.

A&J

Edited by PinkJellyBaby
spelling

The power points in the cabin need USA & Euro adaptors.  I usually take both.  Explorer of the Seas is a lovely ship.  You will enjoy.  RCI have drink packages which you can book online before the cruise.  There is no laundry on the ship although there is a laundry service if needed. 

55 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I bring my Tux for cruises out of destinations where I don't have to fly, other than that dark jacket.

Good idea.  we are flying from the UK, so we will have to work out if we want to lug it around.  We have the baggage allowance, but we plan on travelling around Australia also, and it's just like moving house all the time with four huge suitcases lol.  Dark suit may well be just the job lol.  Many thanks.  A&J

28 minutes ago, megsie said:

Make sure you see the Ice Show, it’s very good.

And you don’t need to take your life jacket to the safety drill.

I used to love Ice Skating, so I will definitely go to see that. Yes i am glad they have dropped carrying the lifejacket around for the drill I always felt like I was going to fall over the straps lol.....  Many thanks A&J

3 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

The power points in the cabin need USA & Euro adaptors.  I usually take both.  Explorer of the Seas is a lovely ship.  You will enjoy.  RCI have drink packages which you can book online before the cruise.  There is no laundry on the ship although there is a laundry service if needed. 

We always take a couple of universal adapters just in case.  We always take a 4 or 6 bank extension to so that all our phones, tablets camera batteries can be charged at the same time whilst we are in the cabin, then we can unplug and make safe before we go out.  The drinks package sounds a good idea too.  We always get them on the Princess cruises, and they really save a fortune.  Glad to here RCI do the same thing.  Many thanks A&J

9 hours ago, PinkJellyBaby said:

Hi Chillburn,  What no coffee lol.  Now that is golden information.  We will definitely come prepared for that.  And bring the tux, he doesn't get enough opportunity to wear it, so we will bring it.

Thank you so much.

A&J

There’s plenty of free coffee or a Starbucks in the promenade but who has the energy first thing in the morning.

You can get coffee and a bread roll from room service in the morning for free but otherwise room service is $8.

if you get a suite there’s a coffee machine in the cabin.

HE WILL LOOK GOOD IN THE TUX

I remember a older fellow had a white tuxedo and he wore it every night during happy hour,he looked like a million dollars.

It got some stains on it after 10 days.

Edited by Chiliburn

8 hours ago, PinkJellyBaby said:

Good idea.  we are flying from the UK, so we will have to work out if we want to lug it around.  We have the baggage allowance, but we plan on travelling around Australia also, and it's just like moving house all the time with four huge suitcases lol.  Dark suit may well be just the job lol.  Many thanks.  A&J

I know when we travel overseas the cruise is usually only one component of the trip and having a Tux for 2 nights in 40 is just not worth it, where as a dark jacket can be worn on the plane, out to dinner and on formal night on cruises. Note, that Royal cruises  generally only have around 5-10% of men in Tuxedoes.

8 hours ago, PinkJellyBaby said:

We always take a couple of universal adapters just in case.  We always take a 4 or 6 bank extension to so that all our phones, tablets camera batteries can be charged at the same time whilst we are in the cabin, then we can unplug and make safe before we go out.  The drinks package sounds a good idea too.  We always get them on the Princess cruises, and they really save a fortune.  Glad to here RCI do the same thing.  Many thanks A&J

Make sure your power bank doesn't have a surge protector or they will hold it for the cruise.

I have used a formal hire mob previously (on X  and Princess) but after the last time, the clothes were not in the best condition, so I bought my own. I did travel with it for a few times, but as formal nights on X were scrapped, and Princess and Royal have loosened their formal night enforcement policies, we have reverted to only bringing the tux on cruises out of Australia (unless there are many formal nights). i.e Cunard has formal night every 3rd night, and you need a jacket every night. The HAL cruise we are doing will have 6 formal nights.

15 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

There’s plenty of free coffee or a Starbucks in the promenade but who has the energy first thing in the morning.

You can get coffee and a bread roll from room service in the morning for free but otherwise room service is $8.

if you get a suite there’s a coffee machine in the cabin.

HE WILL LOOK GOOD IN THE TUX

I remember a older fellow had a white tuxedo and he wore it every night during happy hour,he looked like a million dollars.

It got some stains on it after 10 days. 

$8, they can forget that lol. Plus we don't want to be confined to cabin.  Getting up and out is the way to go.

Tuxedo it is then, we are only flying across the world, so one more thing in our suitcases wont hurt us hehehehe, oh yes with the shirts, bow ties cummerbunds and cuff links lol.

I have seen white Tuxedo's and they do look very dapper, however, my other half would be so worries if it got a little dirt on it.  His black one will do. 🙂

Best regards A&J

13 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I had my power board confiscated and my luggage didn't arrive to my cabin until after dinner as a result.   

I will make sure that it is packed in my small suitcase with the things that don't matter so much in it.

Thanks for that A&J

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I have used a formal hire mob previously (on X  and Princess) but after the last time, the clothes were not in the best condition, so I bought my own. I did travel with it for a few times, but as formal nights on X were scrapped, and Princess and Royal have loosened their formal night enforcement policies, we have reverted to only bringing the tux on cruises out of Australia (unless there are many formal nights). i.e Cunard has formal night every 3rd night, and you need a jacket every night. The HAL cruise we are doing will have 6 formal nights. 

Yes the Cruise lines do vary.  We do a lot of our cruises on P&O in the Caribbean, and they are very particular about formal night.  On Britannia, Azura, Ventura, Arcadia, Oriana if you are not in Tux you don't go in to the main areas, you stay on the top decks with the can't be bothered's lolol.... and I like that.  It's nice to dress up on holiday :).  But then we went with Princess, and the formal nights were there, but most people didn't bother with Tuxes they just wore suits which I thought was a shame.  We are going on the Majestic Princess to New Zealand in January, before the RCI trip to the South Pacific in February. So we can see how RCI do it.

Many thanks for the help, it is good to know these things. 🙂  Regards A&J

You may well find many more dressing up on Princess than on Royal (at least that has been my experience), especially when considering the two itineraries, a NZ cruise on either line would attract more Tuxes than a South Pacific purely due to weather and the cruise passenger demographic.

Log on to your cruise planner and they will tell you how many formal nights there will be. They are always on at sea days, as too tired after shore days.

I live in the bush and wear old farm clothes at home so for cruising I relish the opportunity to dress up. I always wear a long dress for formal night and curl my hair. A chance to wear my good jewels. My friend wears his cufflinks a bow tie and a dinner jacket. Its funnto takebsome nice photos around the ship on formals. 

I dress up every night for dinner but normal nights some nice slacks and blouse or skirt are acceptable .

I once got told to leave the buffet as I went from the pool with a towel around me. Oopps! Take a cover throw over for pool.

30 minutes ago, magpie9 said:

Log on to your cruise planner and they will tell you how many formal nights there will be. They are always on at sea days, as too tired after shore days.

I live in the bush and wear old farm clothes at home so for cruising I relish the opportunity to dress up. I always wear a long dress for formal night and curl my hair. A chance to wear my good jewels. My friend wears his cufflinks a bow tie and a dinner jacket. Its funnto takebsome nice photos around the ship on formals. 

I dress up every night for dinner but normal nights some nice slacks and blouse or skirt are acceptable .

I once got told to leave the buffet as I went from the pool with a towel around me. Oopps! Take a cover throw over for pool.

I forgot about the cruise planner, will have to go through that over the weekend. Yes I like the dressing up part, but I am too fat to wander around in a towel lolol...... so the other cruisers are safe there lol....

Many thanks A&J

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

You may well find many more dressing up on Princess than on Royal (at least that has been my experience), especially when considering the two itineraries, a NZ cruise on either line would attract more Tuxes than a South Pacific purely due to weather and the cruise passenger demographic. 

So RCI is even more laid back, that's interesting to know.  I am looking forward to this cruise to experience the difference.  It's sad though as I also want to spend time in Australia, but it looks like we are only going to get 4 weeks there.  But I shall enjoy each and every one of them. Regards A&J